Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 AM

177 posts, read 959,094 times

Advertisements

There will be no change unless people stop accepting the status quo. It is the responsibility of the people to ask questions and demand answers. But wait, we have no real news media to educate the nation about the true state of the union, as we are fed the cleshays and our attention is directed to the "fascinating" news rather than that of substance. The fact that most of the "town hall meetings" with our president for the last 8 years and during the debates of 2008 were scripted is mind boggling. Why is that? Is this because politicians are incapable of answering these real questions, or is it the fact that they are incompetent to answer these questions? The fresh blood supply to our congress has been limited to the rich and people with connections to the current rulling class. Yes, in USA we have a ruling class, and nobody seems to care about this. Obama is as outside as it gets, but wait; he came from one of the most corrupt states of the union (by that I mean one with the most flexible campaign funding laws, which is the best way to invite corrupt people to government positions). How can we trust this guy to be of pure heart and honest intentions? Time will tell.

My wife tells me that I should stop watching the news since it is as bad for me as the BK whopper. Being complacent is a good and warm feeling, but it is probably very bad for each of us in the long run.

Last edited by InNeedOfAnswers; 12-31-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: filling in facts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I read an article today that suggests homes will no longer be considered an investment, rather a place of shelter. Instead of appreciating in value, homes will depreciate the way cars do. As homes get older, the article suggests eventually they will depreciate right down to land value.

Anyone think this is accurate, or pure garbage?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:42 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
I think that we need to view saving money as an investment and not count on real property as guaranteed to appreciate in value.

Several of the Sunday morning news shows are indicating that this $787 billion economic stimulus is just the first one of the year!

Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Several of the Sunday morning news shows are indicating that this $787 billion economic stimulus is just the first one of the year!
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. These stimulus packages are making me more nervous than anything right now...

Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. These stimulus packages are making me more nervous than anything right now...

These stimulus packages do not work. Japan tried it and failed miserably. Why cant they even consider cutting corporate tax rates and income taxes, as well as layoffs at the state level? It's unreal the lengths they'll go to to keep their power base happy..

Old 02-15-2009, 04:26 PM

132 posts, read 331,634 times
Our problem can be summed up in one sentence: Democrats like to spend other people's money, and Republicans like to collect at the expense of others. In one word, both issues are due to GREED. One party is no better than the other.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
These stimulus packages do not work. Japan tried it and failed miserably. Why can't they even consider cutting corporate tax rates and income taxes, as well as layoffs at the state level? It's unreal the lengths they'll go to to keep their power base happy.
Several programs have discussed how it DID work in Japan. As a matter of fact, the lost decade was because they delayed doing it. Sweden was the other nation cited. In both cases, the stimulus was greater than 50 percent of GDP. Ours is just 15 percent.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
Our problem can be summed up in one sentence: Democrats like to spend other people's money, and Republicans like to collect at the expense of others. In one word, both issues are due to GREED. One party is no better than the other.
Your sentence might have been true prior to 01/20/2001. But as we saw from 01/20/2001 - 01/19/2009, extreme deficit spending can be accomplished by both parties.

You're right about GREED though...

Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Your sentence might have been true prior to 01/20/2001. But as we saw from 01/20/2001 - 01/19/2009, extreme deficit spending can be accomplished by both parties.

You're right about GREED though...
Very true. Many Conservative Republicans condemned Bush's outrageous spending. But I don't consider G.W. Bush a conservative OR a Republican. He wasn't socially conservative, nor fiscally. He also didn't hold true Republican values, IMO.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very true. Many Conservative Republicans condemned Bush's outrageous spending. But I don't consider G.W. Bush a conservative OR a Republican. He wasn't socially conservative, nor fiscally. He also didn't hold true Republican values, IMO.
He was conservative in a few respects: stem cell research, abortion, DOMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness