Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 AM

53 posts, read 143,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Food for thought? Now that the entire nation is getting on board with emergency preparedness.
survivalblog.com
Farmfreshliving.com
living-fresh.com
WV is ideally situated in a lot of ways, in that respect. No missile bases to be "of interest", decent weather compared to states further north, fantastic gardening, low crime, low housing. SHHHHHHH don't let the secret get out DK! Everyone and their bro will be moving to WV!
(I know)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Hopingtocomehome: No danger of letting the secret out at all...the media portrays us as what they want us to be...that is the best protection of all...

thinking of the UN-convicted criminals who guide our states wealth to their own private bank accounts..

I would hope someone in Boone County would fund Mr. Jesco White's legislative run for office. We need his image and persona to keep our state's image intact.
If Jessie 'the body Ventura could do this...we certainly can...and it would certainly be cheaper in the long and the short run.

I can see the big signs at our state border now...Jesco dancing on a big doghouse saying Welcome!

Wonder why Mr. MoJo dosen't invite him to the mansion to perform $$$

Old 05-26-2009, 04:01 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,338 times
2 weeks of supplies doesn't seem like enough for a pandemic. I wonder if they'll close the schools sooner this time because they are afraid of it being so much worse?

What I need is a bailer for our well. If the power goes out (not because of a pandemic I hope!) I'd like to be able to pull the pump and use a bailer if needed. I saw one on ebay a few years ago that was made out of pvc pipe. It was kind of pricey if I remember correctly.

Speaking of swine! We finally found a boar....meet Thor! He's a two year old. If all works out, we'll have babies in the fall when everyone is terrified of the flu.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
I saw a baler last year and it was reasonable...$40.00. Should be available through stores that cater to Amish needs.
A good amish country store exists near Cambridge, Ohio..someone will know the particulars...hope they add their 2 cents..

Thor looks imposing and intelligent. Loves his work I'm sure...can't remember the hog breeds but think Thor might be a cross between a Berkshire and one of the white breeds..

The Swine Flu only resembles the strain of flu found in hogs..

Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 AM

53 posts, read 143,305 times
Quote:
the media portrays us as what they want us to be...that is the best protection of all...
'tis indeed. I smile when I hear of some new 'hillbilly comment' ...and think of all the snoots who will be doing WV a favor by not moving there and ruining it for everyone else.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the bailer tip David, will see if I can find the store in Ohio. We also have a hand pump in our kitchen that runs to a shallow well in the back yard. The seals need replaced in the pump. Got those parts the other day. I'm not sure about the well. I'm thinking maybe it has a foot valve in it? Guess we need to dig it up to find out. It could come in handy if the power goes out.

Thor is a cross between three breeds of pig. Can't remember what they are right now. For a boar, he's very calm and gentle, but Bertha hasn't come in heat yet! He is a chewer and I have to be careful when I get into the run with him. He tried to eat my shirt the other day and caught me off guard. I won't let the children near him or the sow though. They are large and any large animal can be unpredictable.

Our neighbor raises angus cows. We are hoping to be able to trade pork for beef. His wife doesn't like to eat anything they raise themselves. So he's still trying to talk her into it. I never did understand why some folks would rather eat food from the store than home raised. Most of us would much rather know how our food was raised and where it came from!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:33 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,390 times
Quote:
Hopingtocomehome: No danger of letting the secret out at all...the media portrays us as what they want us to be...that is the best protection of all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingtocomehome View Post
'tis indeed. I smile when I hear of some new 'hillbilly comment' ...and think of all the snoots who will be doing WV a favor by not moving there and ruining it for everyone else.
Amen!

Also, it's hard to venture about the interwebs and not get immediately pelted with the stereotypes. Sadly, the one's I see the most are related to the movie Wrong Turn (filmed in Canada but set in WV). If they refer to The Mothman Prophecies, they are curious about the subject.

Now, I've tested this repeatedly in the same places, I notice approx. 70% negativity: List your state as WV, and look out here it comes, if you can get any response at all. List any other state, or no state, and you get a warmer, or neutral, response.

The test worldwide brings 100% positive response, such as: "What beautiful country you have there!" or "I've always wanted to go there!". Others simply think I'm in western Va.

I usually tell the harsh negatives that cartoons aren't really the place to learn about the world.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 05-28-2009 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Reasons for Editing

Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM

773 posts, read 2,632,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
It's hard to venture about the interwebs and not get immediately pelted with the stereotypes. List your state as WV and look out here it comes, if you can get any response at all. List any other state, or no state, and you get a warmer or neutral response.
It works both ways: It's hard to venture onto forums of some states and not get immediately pelted. Let the state be WV and look out here it comes. Posting at most states gets you a warmer or at least a neutral response. I have learned my lesson.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
A good amish country store exists near Cambridge, Ohio..someone will know the particulars...hope they add their 2 cents..
There's Lehmans in Kidron OH.. Maybe 40 miles from Cambridge Lehmans.com=

Old 05-28-2009, 11:35 AM

I've got the spring 2009 lehmans catalog and they don't have one in there. I'll call them, maybe they carry them in their store? I've been looking for an excuse to drive over there and window shop! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness