Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:41 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else been verbally yelled at walking into stores and banks? What's up with these sales people that literally "yell" hello from a long distance away from the door, "Welcome to Kinkos, or Rite Aid or Target or Office Max or Lenscrafters or whatever store" when someone walks in. It's obnoxious. Worse yet are the sales people helping you at the counter, and mid-sentence, they yell "hello" to someone else coming in the door.

I don't even know where this "hello" from across the room is coming from! And the last thing I want to do is say hello to someone I can't see when I virtually just enter the store! The bank is bad too. I'm barely in the door and someone yells "hello, welcome to Chase" from behind the counter with a line of customers in front of me. How dumb is that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Gosh, it doesn't bother me at all. I am pretty sure that it's part of their customer training program. There are so many things to worry about these days that this does not seem to be something that anyone should even think about.

It's very common here in California, but not so much in New York where I used to live.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
People aren't used to being greeted or spoken to any more and some actually get offended. Has politeness and manners become antiquated concepts? I like good service, I guess I have a pretty thick skin.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
There are 2 specific reasons for the greeting. 1 to acknowledge you are there and that the employees are aware of you, and 2 to let a possible shoplifter know they are being watched.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:54 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Someone's too sensitive.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM

901 posts, read 2,387,718 times
If they are "yelling", then that's maybe a little inordinate. But it's actually a pretty common CS practice to say "Hello, welcome to [insert establishment name here]". When I worked in retail, I ran the Customer Service desks and it was part of my job to acknowledge people coming into the store. It lets them know you are there for them if they need any help (as well as to plant it in their mind that it would be difficult to shoplift), and you'd be surprised how many people would come up to me to ask for my help after I acknowledged them coming into the store. There really are other things to be upset about. Surely you wouldn't prefer to be ignored or treated rudely by dismissive staff members who make you feel uneasy, as though you are bothering them - would you? I feel so much more comfortable in a store when the employees say "Hi" and asks if I need help. If I don't, I simply tell them "I'm fine, thanks." They simply say "My name is so-and-so - let me know if you need anything", and then walk away.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM

573 posts, read 971,133 times
It's more likely that the greeters would get some sort of warning from their manager for failing to say hello to every single person.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
If a person is being helped at the counter at Kinko's or an ATT store, for example, and mid-sentence, the rep "calls out" "hello" to a customer entering the store across the room, that's inconsiderate to the person being helped. I've had that happened, where the rep helping me is constantly stopping our discussion and calling out "hello" to everyone who comes in.

As far as being too sensitive, I really don't appreciate walking into the bank, barely clearing the doorway, and having a bank teller from across the room, "call out" "hello" in a loud voice while they are helping the people in line. First of all, I don't know where this voice is coming from, and second, I think it's rude to keep interrupting the transactions with the people at the counter.

I also think that it's about trying to avert shoplifters in stores, and not about a sincere welcome. Everyone who enters a store is not a shoplifter, however. Yes, there are other things to worry about, but this trend in customer service seems overdone and superficial.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Never been to Waffle House, huh?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:09 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
I have a hard time thinking that every place you go people are targeting you to yell hello from every store you visit.
I have no problem with someone acknowledging me but I have never been yelled to. If someone said hello to me I would also never be annoyed.

Sad to me that someone finds soemthing wrong with others being courteous...just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products