Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2014, 09:08 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,037 times

Advertisements

For me it's simple. I've had one too many irritating experiences shopping at Walmart. Beyond that, I've seen and spoken with employees about the treatment there. It goes WAY beyond just low wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I rarely step foot in a Walmart even though it is the closest store to my house. As everyone has mentioned above, as the largest employer in the US, their politics are terrible. They treat their employees like cattle, provide little in the way of benefits, have meetings to teach the employees how to apply for medicaid and SNAP. All of this costs the rest of us money. I am not going to throw more money at them. Also, in our small city they have run all of the small and mid-size guys out of business. We just lost a whole chain of mom and pop grocery stores here, because they can't compete.

I don't hate Starbucks or Costco at all. I don't go to Starbucks often because I don't like their coffee. But they offer even part time employees health insurance. And Costco is my go-to store for lots of reasons. Even though we are empty nesting now, I can find great deals on lots of stuff there. Almost all of our electronics are purchased at Costco...can't beat the deals and the extended warranties. They just paid for a laptop to be repaired after it was out of manufacturer's warranty. The produce beats all of our local grocery chains. The price of a hot dog and soda hasn't gone up in the 30 years I've been shopping there. A large quality pizza is only $10. They have products that I can't buy anywhere else. The commuter mugs can't be beat by any others I've owned in the past. AND! they pay a very liveable wage with excellent benefits. Nuff said. Costco is not milking the government by putting their employees on medicaid and food stamps.
Sorry, but the bolded is NOT true and I don't know how, or why, it ever got started in the first place. They provide a ton of benefits for both part time and full time employees and the general public has no idea what they are or what they cover. They simply believe what they've heard/read.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
This doc put the nail in the coffin for me:

Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price - Brave New Films
That documentary was made nearly TEN years ago. Things have changed in many ways but, like always, it just keeps being recirculated and believed by many. Maybe they should make a new one.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmedpoet View Post
This was the documentary I was looking for, thank you!! It reiterates what some of the former employees have said about what a horrible place WM is to work. Ours would have someone standing at the door checking receipts and rifling through bags!! I've been back once in the last year out of absolute necessity, and it was horrible.

I did work for Target for 7 years many years ago, and even though the pay wasn't great, we were still treated decently and with respect. I was on the management team when chose to leave. I can't relate how a management team could treat people so horribly without saying something. Stick up for yourselves and your people.

Reasons why I encourage everyone I know never again to set foot in one of those stores.
I was a door greeter when I first went to work for Walmart. Never did we check receipts or rifle through people's bags "just because". The ONLY time we asked to see a receipt was if the alarm went off and it was usually cleared up in a minute. Sometimes the security mechanisms don't completely demagnetize at the register. Sometimes we'd check when there were large items on the bottom and it wasn't because we didn't trust the customer but to double check that the cashiers weren't missing things. Even Safeway makes their cashiers go out from behind the register to check people's shopping carts.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Because they treat their employees poorly and don't pay them anything. And the quality of some of their items is terrible.
I have asked many people, many times, to please explain to me how Walmart treats their employees so "poorly". Yes, the starting wage is low and yes, they COULD afford to start them higher but they DO give regular raises as well. It's not like they are stuck at a low wage forever but they have to stick it out to get there. I've had five raises in four years so I'm not complaining and neither do any of my co workers. Some of whom have been there from 10 to 25 years and DO make a decent wage.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I've got back 15 bucks from savings catcher. It works Why would anyone complain about something that saves money?
One of my friends has $40 already. Most of the folks around here really like this new program. They especially like that the prices compared cover a 50 mile radius, not just our small town. I can just imagine what it would be like in a big city with so many stores to compare to.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times

So what ? ? ?

There are million of other employees working for other
stores and companies who draw the same wages and colect, Medicaid, food stamp, etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:40 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
When the mom and pop store where whipped out they were
paying low wages just like Wal-Mart and Kmart and other big stores .

Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 AM

304 posts, read 344,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was a door greeter when I first went to work for Walmart. Never did we check receipts or rifle through people's bags "just because". The ONLY time we asked to see a receipt was if the alarm went off and it was usually cleared up in a minute. Sometimes the security mechanisms don't completely demagnetize at the register. Sometimes we'd check when there were large items on the bottom and it wasn't because we didn't trust the customer but to double check that the cashiers weren't missing things. Even Safeway makes their cashiers go out from behind the register to check people's shopping carts.
This lady would actually detain people from leaving the store and create a line. She stepped in front of my cart as I put the receipt in one of my bags, asked to see my receipt, and told her no, that it was in a bag. She went through all my bags until she found it. All of my items were in bags. Walmart is NOT Sam's, customers don't sign a contract consenting to a search. What she did was illegal search and seizure, there are no signs posted on WM property warning customers that they will be subjected to such a practice. I called the store manager, regional manager, and even though this practice rarely continues in our area it left a horrible taste in my mouth.

That company has many, many issues they need to work out. BTW, that happened earlier this year and was one of the final things that made me decide that company no longer needed the thousands of dollars I spend.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have asked many people, many times, to please explain to me how Walmart treats their employees so "poorly". Yes, the starting wage is low and yes, they COULD afford to start them higher but they DO give regular raises as well. It's not like they are stuck at a low wage forever but they have to stick it out to get there. I've had five raises in four years so I'm not complaining and neither do any of my co workers. Some of whom have been there from 10 to 25 years and DO make a decent wage.
How employees are treated depends on the store, one store could be great, while the next store could be a horrible working experience. This all depends and starts with the store and manager and trickles on down all the way to the immediate supervisor which can make it a working hell.

Poor treatment of employees is not unique to Walmart, any company can have stores with these issues, including the mom and pop stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products