Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:08 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I cannot fathom anyone living in an area with one and choosing NOT to take advantage of the remarkable savings and discounts
Well, fathom this: Our area Costco has a too-small parking lot, so it's often impossible to find a place to park. And the store is jammed full of slow-moving shoppers. Honestly, it's like they're in a trance, because they don't seem to realize there are other people wanting to shop too.

$4.99 rotisserie chicken isn't worth the hassle of all that and waiting in long lines at checkout, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Costco is like a cult following here in the Seattle area

I cannot fathom anyone living in an area with one and choosing NOT to take advantage of the remarkable savings and discounts
I have 5 Costcos within a 15 mile radius of me and will not shop there. The hassle of trying to find parking, battling the crowd, then waiting in line for 30 minutes to pay is not worth it to me. I guess it all depends how your local costco is. Ours are too overcrowded.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:10 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I have 5 Costcos within a 15 mile radius of me and will not shop there. The hassle of trying to find parking, battling the crowd, then waiting in line for 30 minutes to pay is not worth it to me. I guess it all depends how your local costco is. Ours are too overcrowded.
That's how the nearest Whole Foods is here! I avoid it at all costs. I'm sure it will be busier now.

Funny though - the checkouts are not that busy but the parking lot is so insane I don't even bother - if I could even deal with the prices.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yeah, that is still a lot for a Rotisserie chicken, but it is still only two bucks more that the price here in Albuquerque. I don't know what century most Americans live in when they claim their supermarket rotisserie chicken are $4.99.

Here the scrawny, dried up ones are $6.99 and the decent ones are $8-9.

As for a lot of the other prices in the article. It is really making me think I should give Whole Foods another try. $9.99 for Salmon is a good deal any way you look at it, especially considering that I pay the same at my supermarket for the irresponsibly raised version.
Philadelphia area Giant stores $4.99. It's called a loss leader. Whole fried chicken $5.99 after recent drop from $6.99. I love to cook, but for $4.99 it's less than doing it yourself.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:38 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Well, fathom this: Our area Costco has a too-small parking lot, so it's often impossible to find a place to park. And the store is jammed full of slow-moving shoppers. Honestly, it's like they're in a trance, because they don't seem to realize there are other people wanting to shop too.

$4.99 rotisserie chicken isn't worth the hassle of all that and waiting in long lines at checkout, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Try going on a weekday at 7:30 pm. You'll practically have the place to yourselves.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Try going on a weekday at 7:30 pm. You'll practically have the place to yourselves.
Not where I'm at. It's still packed to the gills.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:20 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I used to shop at what is the busiest CostCo they have in Iwilei, it was the first in Hawaii. Going there was a chore that I put off. Now it's better (different area) but I still wouldn't go there for just the chicken, but it's great if we want to pick one up when doing other shopping.

I'm convinced those things aren't healthy though, they taste to good. Must be filled with crack.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-29-2017, 11:39 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
If prices have really been slashed and the quality remains the same, I might wander in again ad give a quick look.

The whole foods near me has really nice produce, but extremely expensive, like 4-5 times higher than the organic produce at the regular supermarket. I'm not going to pay $6 a pound for oranges when they are 79 cents anywhere else.

Costco does in deed sell a huge juicy roasted chicken for $4.99? Or less becasue I think that the last one I bought was cheaper than that. I suspect it is a loss leader because it brings in so many shoppers. Or at least, if not a loss leader, they are selling it at cost. Costco makes the best roast chicken available. Other stores sell smaller chickens for a couple of dollars more and sometimes they are good and sometimes they are not as good.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I wish NY strip steakes were 5 bucks a pound...

Old 08-29-2017, 03:20 PM

92 posts, read 58,279 times
I hate wholefoods, too bad it's closest to me to walk to. Since it's a small location the choices are limited, I once needed mayo and the only basic mayo they had was a $11 for a tiny bottle. MAYO. The sale stickers are always old and then they have the nerve to ask you if "you need your receipt". Saving trees, yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products