Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:08 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you see the difference in quality in the pictures? Clearly they just lowered the price by getting a lower grade of Salmon. The $9.99 Salmon doesn't look good at all, and they dropped the "100% Satisfaction Guaranteed" from the price tag. Make what you will of that, but I think they are sending a massage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Your link doesn't say anything different then all the other news articles. No one said they lowered the price on everything in the store. They lowered the price on 49 items, which is better then nothing. And as your link says, more price reductions are coming.

Mouse print... I don't get where people come up with some of these "sources".
Which is the point. This is nothing but a lot of hype and the price cuts are insignificant to their overall prices.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:16 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Which is the point. This is nothing but a lot of hype and the price cuts are insignificant to their overall prices.
And the price cuts are probably temporary to lure in customers.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
And after the prices return to normal, they will slash them again to lure even more customers. It works every time.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
yea

Costco sells a rotisserie chicken for $4.99

Even $10 is too high - who would pay $14 for one ?

Crazy ........
Another thing to keep in mind is that the Costco chickens are 3 pounds and the Whole Foods chickens are 2 pounds.

So you paying far more for the rotisserie chicken at WF. Here in Michigan, WF is selling those conventional rotisserie chickens for $7.99, down from $8.99. A $1.00 drop for the 2 pound chicken.

WF dropped the price of organic rotisserie chickens here from $13.99 to $9.99, a $4 drop for the 2 pound chicken.

Costco is $4.99 for the 3 pound conventional chickens.

Another thing is how long they let those cooked chickens sit under the heat lamps. I saw chickens that had been sitting out for 3 hours at WF the other day, and I asked how long they keep them under lamps, and they said "4 to 5 hours." What???

Costco pulls the cooked chickens from the heat lamps after 2 hours.

Last edited by xz2y; 09-14-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I asked about that at the local WF here, and they said the price drops were "permanent." We'll see.

However, the conventional avocados that were marked down from $1.67 to $1.49 were huge the first day of the Amazon sale price. Really gigantic. So I bought a few. I went back about 5 days later, and the same avocados were much smaller, and have remained that puny size since then. Same price, smaller size produce.

I agree that the lower prices were to lure people in. However, the big avocados were only for the first couple days of the mark-down, to get people to buy them and then come back. On my return visits to WF to check out the avocados, I walked out without buying any other items after seeing how small they were. I rarely shop at WF and that hasn't changed.

As far as the fresh salmon at WF, it is the Atlantic farmed salmon that was marked down to $9.99, not wild caught.

Costco sells both Atlantic farmed and wild caught salmon for $9.99.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I asked about that at the local WF here, and they said the price drops were "permanent." We'll see.

However, the conventional avocados that were marked down from $1.67 to $1.49 were huge the first day of the Amazon sale price. Really gigantic. So I bought a few. I went back about 5 days later, and the same avocados were much smaller, and have remained that puny size since then. Same price, smaller size produce.

I agree that the lower prices were to lure people in. However, the big avocados were only for the first couple days of the mark-down, to get people to buy them and then come back. On my return visits to WF to check out the avocados, I walked out without buying any other items after seeing how small they were. I rarely shop at WF and that hasn't changed.

As far as the fresh salmon at WF, it is the Atlantic farmed salmon that was marked down to $9.99, not wild caught.

Costco sells both Atlantic farmed and wild caught salmon for $9.99.
What does "permanent" mean? Does that mean that they will sell salmon for $9.99 forever, no matter how much the cost of salmon increases? Of course not. All store prices are temporary. Even if they were serious about reducing Whole Foods price markups, which I don't believe they are, prices would eventually go up. These price drops are temporary. The only question is how temporary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products