Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's also a problem with OUR country that we allow businesses to do this. We should do something about it.

Can't argue that! I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I don't see how Walmart can do free delivery if they have to pay for the employee's time to pick, bag, time and gas for delivery.

I wasn't aware that Walmart was doing delivery. I know they are expanding their order online/pickup at the store. We now have our pickup in the front of the store. When people check in the pickup people are notified immediately and deliver to the front of the store. Some things are already in the lock boxes. As for ordering food online for pickup...they are working on getting the drive thru set up but nobody has said anything about home delivery. If they ever do offer it I'll be happy to do it!

Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 AM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Part of me still thinks the whole automated thing is just a
sneaky way corporations convert the customer base into
free labor. And the customers don't seem to notice
what's happening (if, indeed, that's exactly what's going
on).

-

Old 03-20-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart will be back t cashiers, too many thefts will push them back away from Self Checkouts. Not to mention the delays and slowness of self checkout at Walmart will turn people away. I avoid Walmart because it's simply a bad shopping experience.

Cashier lines, seems like it takes forever. They still card people for Credit Card usage which slows checkout, when almost all the big card companies are stopping signature checks when chip is used.

The Self checkout is super slow there because it seems the avg Walmart customer is too dimwit to use the machine efficiently. I saw some folks with slow stuttering hands could barely scan a merchandise.

Walmart's problems is because of it's customer base and the policies they use slows checkouts and leads to poor shopping experience. Most well to do folks shop online or go to Target.

We have never checked ID for credit card use. And, it's true, hardly anyone ever has to sign or even use a pin number all that much anymore. That bothers me a lot because it means that anybody could use my card.

It makes me sad but I have to agree about a lot of people using self checkout. They don't pay attention to the screen, they don't listen to the instructions and they just start pushing buttons. Just a 'for instance'...every once in a while the bill/coin receptors will mess up and the scanner has to be put on 'cards only' till it's fixed. How many people do you think actually READ the sign that says "cards only, no cash in or out"? Not many. There's also a screen that shows up after the first scanned item that asks if they want to continue and they'll say "yes" and then get mad because they can't pay cash! People have a really bad habit of scanning things twice because it takes a couple seconds to appear on the screen and they think it didn't scan so do it again. They also have a problem with produce and it's so easy! They can choose between a picture or inputting the UPC number but they don't read the instructions so claim they can't do it.

I am no longer on a register at work. I requested changing to self checkout so I wouldn't have to lift and heft all those super heavy items anymore. It was killing my old body! However, self checkout is a constant workout because you never stop moving and it's just going from one scanner to the next all day. There are all sorts of age checks, fixing people's mistakes, help with scanning AND, the most frustrating, following each and every customer to replace the bags they've ripped off and tossed down. They get upset when the bags won't open fast enough and just tear them off. A dozen at a time sometimes and they ALL have to be put back on. I try to open the first bag so the next guy won't have a problem but it doesn't help with the NEXT bag. Personally I wish everyone would just bring their own bags so I don't have to fight the stupid things all day long. The way they are designed the second bag should open a tad when the first one is pulled off but it doesn't happen that way.

Another thing that aggravated me on the register was that people using self checkout LOVE using the hand scanners. So, why do they continue to put all the big heavy stuff on the belt at a register? Cashiers all have hand scanners and would be happy to scan the stuff IN the basket eliminating ONE MORE heavy pickup. It's also a lot faster.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Our Walmart added more self checkout lanes this week where some regular checkout lanes were. Every one was being used, I have always gone to the regular ones though.

Our self checkouts are super busy, all the time. They added more to try and eliminate the long lines but when people do their every two weeks shopping it really clogs them up. People get mad about that too. They were never intended for that but as an extension of the express lanes for people who only had a very few items.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 03-20-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Part of me still thinks the whole automated thing is just a
sneaky way corporations convert the customer base into
free labor. And the customers don't seem to notice
what's happening (if, indeed, that's exactly what's going
on).

Sure they do. That's why I hear, a gazillion times a day, that they ought to get a 'discount' for doing their own.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:09 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sure they do. That's why I hear, a gazillion times a day, that they ought to get a 'discount' for doing their own.
They may notice, but they seem perfectly happy being
unpaid laborers without that discount they dream of.

-

Old 03-20-2018, 02:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart will be back t cashiers, too many thefts will push them back away from Self Checkouts. Not to mention the delays and slowness of self checkout at Walmart will turn people away. I avoid Walmart because it's simply a bad shopping experience.

Cashier lines, seems like it takes forever. They still card people for Credit Card usage which slows checkout, when almost all the big card companies are stopping signature checks when chip is used.

The Self checkout is super slow there because it seems the avg Walmart customer is too dimwit to use the machine efficiently. I saw some folks with slow stuttering hands could barely scan a merchandise.

Walmart's problems is because of it's customer base and the policies they use slows checkouts and leads to poor shopping experience. Most well to do folks shop online or go to Target.
None of this describes the WalMarts in my area. They’re putting in more and more self checkouts. Each one has a camera. Many items also have security tags.

I’ve never been to a Walmart that checks signatures or IDs. I don’t even sign when I use a chip card at Walmart.

Personally, I whiz on through self checkout all the time. I haven’t used a cashier at Walmart in years except at the pharmacy. I’m wild and crazy and buy produce there, too. I even use my own bags.

Even Target has self checkout now. Most grocery stores do as well. Self checkout isn’t going anywhere.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I hate shopping at walmart but if they are going to replace the hateful, attitude having cashiers with machines, I will start shopping there again.

If I buy something. There will be a REAL person to check me out. I got there one morning about 8:00 or so. I had my stuff. There were no cashiers open, just self check outs. Thats bad business. I put all my chit on the belt at the register and walked out. Maybe they got the message. I doubt it. You dont have cashiers open, you must not plan on selling much stuff.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
They may notice, but they seem perfectly happy being
unpaid laborers without that discount they dream of.

No they aren't. If they were they'd just DO it and not complain.

You know, it's a miracle that we aren't all on Prozac or something with all the negativity that is thrown at us every day. It can be downright depressing if I let it get to me. I actually had a woman let me know the other day that I'm PAID to listen to the complaints that I can do nothing about and don't even have anything to do with me. Pretty much that I'm paid to take verbal abuse. If that's right then I am definitely NOT paid enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products