Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What are you doing with your bags, swinging them around your head and spiking them to the ground? I've never once bought alcohol that was wrapped in tissue paper, and never once had a broken bottle. Putting them in one reusable bag with other bottles has never been a problem.

If only they made milk containers with handles...
The bag had half and half in it too.

I’m not just talking about alcohol. Often my supermarket has bowls and dishes and things like that for special promotions. They wrap those in plastic bags as well. When I go to Walmart and buy some thing glass they wrap it in a bag as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:06 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But the guy that the poster was complaining about was not courteous and respectful he was surly and miserable. And when she complained about that, you said you didn’t understand why people thought they were entitled to friendly service.

If you stated what you just posted to a potential employer and a customer service oriented business, I guarantee would not get the job. And again if you mistrepresent yourself and claim that you will be that sort of a person when you know that you’re not going to be you’re a liar and a bad employee.

You may think it’s phony, but most people like kindness and friendliness even if it is phony. Go ask Walt Disney. You will find nothing but warm and friendly smiles at the Magic Kingdom, and it certainly has not hurt their bottom line.

Never said one thing about I want to be your best friend. You were exaggerating to make your point but I never said anything like that. Smiling at a customer, saying hello how are you, saying thank you have a good day, is not over the top,
Let's just agree that your definition of warm and friendly is different than mine. I do not care for for total strangers addressing me by my first name, no matter which side of the counter I'm on, I don't want personal questions or comments, I don't want someone I don't know touching me. Some people adore that kind of thing, some businesses make the assumption that everyone loves it. I have walked out of places that shout a greeting at you as you walk in the door, fake and phony, style over substance for the most part.
My employers know that I will be sincere, polite and courteous, it seems to have been enough to put me mgt. dealing with customers (and their complaints) every day, so no worries on my end.

ETA, everyone who is not 'warm' or 'friendly' is not rude and surly, just as much exaggeration in saying that to make your own point.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:08 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Let's just agree that your definition of warm and friendly is different than mine. I do not care for for total strangers addressing me by my first name, no matter which side of the counter I'm on, I don't want personal questions or comments, I don't want someone I don't know touching me. Some people adore that kind of thing, some businesses make the assumption that everyone loves it. I have walked out of places that shout a greeting at you as you walk in the door, fake and phony, style over substance for the most part.
My employers know that I will be sincere, polite and courteous, it seems to have been enough to put me mgt. dealing with customers (and their complaints) every day, so no worries on my end.

ETA, everyone who is not 'warm' or 'friendly' is not rude and surly, just as much exaggeration in saying that to make your own point.
I didn’t say everyone who wasn’t warm and friendly was surly invisible. That poster wrote about an experience she had with the person who came out to work on her car who was surly and miserable and didn’t even greet her nor thank her. He wasn’t courteous, he made the whole situation tense and uncomfortable. But yes, let’s agree to disagree.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:10 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
For those who don't like throwing out the plastic bags, you can always take and drop them off at a food bank. I'd ask, first, but they usually always need bags. The bags may eventually still get tossed, but at least they've been used a couple of times. Don't drop off or reuse any bags that have held meat, though. Toss those.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And this is why there are so many plastic bags in landfills, because cashiers like yourself feel the need to double-bag, or pack things in more bags than is necessary.

You are right. It's all my fault. The customer that requests all those bags are innocent.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I will swear to my dying breath that customer service has seen a HUGE shift in the last fifty years (I am 54). When I was younger, the de facto rule was "smile, try to be pleasant, try to help the customer, say thank you, move fast when it's needed". I SWEAR that this has all become inverted over the last fifty years. Completely. (This is not to say that there are not exceptions).

It is infuriating that we have allowed this degeneration.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I will swear to my dying breath that customer service has seen a HUGE shift in the last fifty years (I am 54). When I was younger, the de facto rule was "smile, try to be pleasant, try to help the customer, say thank you, move fast when it's needed". I SWEAR that this has all become inverted over the last fifty years. Completely. (This is not to say that there are not exceptions).

It is infuriating that we have allowed this degeneration.
Were customers more polite on those days, and didn't try to get employees fired by asking (demanding in some cases) that they go against set company policy? I used to be a bank teller and got that on a constant basis. Please can you cash this insurance check? No, because it's not guaranteed funds; you have to deposit it in full and wait for it to clear. Doesn't matter if it's $5.00 or $5,000.

Worst incident was the woman who threw a fit when she came in with her passbook savings account and discovered that it had auto closed because she hadn't kept a $200 or higher balance in the account to prevent the monthly $3 service charge from posting, so it went enough months that the balance got to zero and then it auto closed. She wanted to reopen the account and, IIRC, us to restore the original balance. Of course we couldn't do that. She got so out of control, including throwing my nameplate at the branch manager, that we called the cops on her when she finally stormed out.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
You are right. It's all my fault. The customer that requests all those bags are innocent.
I don't request them, and I get them anyway. That's why I do self checkout if I can at all help it. I don't need 3-4 bags when 2 will suffice.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:14 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:

This!!! I can't tell you the number of dumb looks I've gotten when I correct the cashier - uh, ONE bag, not two. I tend to buy the same stuff at the market, I know how many bags a typical grocery order of mine needs.
Why not BYO?

Old 08-19-2018, 09:19 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Were customers more polite on those days, and didn't try to get employees fired by asking (demanding in some cases) that they go against set company policy? I used to be a bank teller and got that on a constant basis. Please can you cash this insurance check? No, because it's not guaranteed funds; you have to deposit it in full and wait for it to clear. Doesn't matter if it's $5.00 or $5,000.

Worst incident was the woman who threw a fit when she came in with her passbook savings account and discovered that it had auto closed because she hadn't kept a $200 or higher balance in the account to prevent the monthly $3 service charge from posting, so it went enough months that the balance got to zero and then it auto closed. She wanted to reopen the account and, IIRC, us to restore the original balance. Of course we couldn't do that. She got so out of control, including throwing my nameplate at the branch manager, that we called the cops on her when she finally stormed out.
I will say this: banking has not seen as large a decline, I don't think. Banking was always a BIT standoffish by design -- had to be. Polite but formal. I have limited banking experience over the last 15 years--- same Bank during that time. And the customer service there is great.

I am primarily talking retail and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products