Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:42 AM

643 posts, read 329,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know if it's just the company I worked for, or if all retail is like this, but I have seen so many times when a manager will throw their employee under the bus in favor of a customer. The employee is just trying to do their job and follow company policy but yes, customers have become more and more entitled over the years. It leaves the employee with a bad taste in their mouth and wondering why they should try so hard. Because of that I always tried to take care of whatever the problem was myself without involving management. I'm pretty good at it so it wasn't too bad but there were times I had no choice.
Nothing makes me more angry or think less of a store manager than a manager who thinks they are impressing a customer by chewing out an employee in front of me.

It seems to happen more in small "mom and pop" places ( my experience)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Nothing makes me more angry or think less of a store manager than a manager who thinks they are impressing a customer by chewing out an employee in front of me.

I've seen it mostly in restaurants.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM

643 posts, read 329,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I've seen it mostly in restaurants.
Yes, usually restaurants.

the worst case I saw was in a "mom and pop" bakery.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:00 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Yes, usually restaurants.

the worst case I saw was in a "mom and pop" bakery.
I don't want to stereotype, but many of our diners and restaurants in NJ are owned by Greek people, who tend to be "passionate" about things.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:

I was never chewed out by a manager but when I'm following store policy, and refusing to break it, then a manager comes along and lets it go in the name of "customer satisfaction", it bugs me. Makes me feel like an idiot and wonder why I bother to follow procedure. And the smirk I get from the customer makes me want to....well, do something! lol Then, next time they come in, the pull that old "Well, they let me do it last time!" stuff. Grrrrrrr...

Old 08-22-2018, 04:31 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Maybe she got busy amd forgot. Things happen. I've forgotten to respond to an email every now and then. If you liked her, I would have just called her back a few days later, giving her the benefit of the doubt. But since you didn't, I don't see the problem with moving on to a different stylist.

People who work in customer service are just that, people. They're not robots, mistakes happen.
Yes, well I guess I have a better memory than most people then because I wouldn't have forgotten something like that. Not only did I call her that day, I texted her a 2nd # of mine after we talked, so oh well! Her loss. I don't buy that she simply forgot. She would have had to delete my text message too then, which should have jogged her memory, but still no contact from her.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know if it's just the company I worked for, or if all retail is like this, but I have seen so many times when a manager will throw their employee under the bus in favor of a customer. The employee is just trying to do their job and follow company policy but yes, customers have become more and more entitled over the years. It leaves the employee with a bad taste in their mouth and wondering why they should try so hard. Because of that I always tried to take care of whatever the problem was myself without involving management. I'm pretty good at it so it wasn't too bad but there were times I had no choice.
Whenever you have a customer who is upset about a company policy, call for a manager. Let the manager sort it out. The reason managers have to favor their customers is because that's who pays the bills. If they made all their customers angry they'd eventually lose revenue for the business. Especially these days, where it's so easy for customers to write negative online reviews about a business. However, if the manager makes an employee angry and the employee quits, that's no huge loss. It's pretty easy to find people to do retail work.

Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Whenever you have a customer who is upset about a company policy, call for a manager. Let the manager sort it out. The reason managers have to favor their customers is because that's who pays the bills. If they made all their customers angry they'd eventually lose revenue for the business. Especially these days, where it's so easy for customers to write negative online reviews about a business. However, if the manager makes an employee angry and the employee quits, that's no huge loss. It's pretty easy to find people to do retail work.
That works for almost every situation, but not when I worked at a university as a visitor parking attendant. My former employer had a contract with the university.

The visitor parking booth I sat in was located outside the main building where the client, the Director of Parking and Transportation Services and her 2 staff members were located, which I reported to. All 3 of them worked in the Parking office, which was busy most of the time.

Part of my job was reserving parking spots in visitor parking for guests arriving for events. An event could be anything. The visitor parking garage had 55 parking spots. There were times when all 55 parking spots were reserved.

According to my employer and the client, I was expected to only allow the guests who were attending the event to park in visitor parking. Everyone else had to park somewhere else.

I worked at the university from 2006 to 2012. I dealt with many upset and irritated customers when visitor parking was reserved, but according to my employer and the client, I could only call the client when absolutely necessary.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:20 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Knock it off. In one breath you talk about about how hard it is to find a decent employee who treats customers right and then you say how easy they are to replace. You have a really big chip on your shoulder concerning retail workers.
The point is that the companies have policies in place that are supposed to be followed by all employees. When a manager decides to override the policy and make the cashier look like they are in the wrong for doing what the COMPANY say is right is frustrating for the cashier and is not good management. You always back your employee up for following proper procedure, it doesn't mean you can't make a disgruntled customer happy, but not by making the employee look stupid in the process.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:24 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I agree with you on both counts.

If the boss is telling employees to enforce rules, then not enforcing those rules themselves--in front of those employees!--then the employee sees themselves in a no-win situation. Also, the people who want special treatment are usually the ones who are the least grateful when they get it, the ones who keep pushing the envelope further and further until someone is forced to push back. On balance I think there are more problematic customers in stores than there are employees creating problems, because so many people think that "gaming the system" is their right as a customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products