Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:58 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
A local supermarket often has bone in, skin on breasts on sale for .97 a pound, So for just over $4 I get 4 huge chicken breasts. I season & roast them all at the same time, so I only use electricity once. For each breast I get 4 meals, so that is 16 chicken based meals, plus stock or soup with the bones, if I am in the mood to do it. If you like leg quarters they are even cheaper, (often around .60 a pound).

So for me it is cheaper, the seasoning is only pennies, likewise the power used. Of course I am retired so I have the time to cook it, & I like to do it.

I am not saying the chickens for Costco are not a good bargain, they are, & they are tasty. But it's not cheaper than buying raw chicken parts.
It's cheaper than buying and cooking raw chicken parts. That's the point. There's nothing wrong with using your time like this... especially if you enjoy it, but time is not free.

I've never had the Costco chicken myself, but for those who are looking for a bargain, it seems like one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:35 AM

12,780 posts, read 15,001,003 times
The flavor is great of that chicken. I like getting it every once in a while.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:14 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The flavor is great of that chicken. I like getting it every once in a while.
It really is. Sam's Club is good, too. But others I find to not have nearly as much flavor as those Costco and Sams. I'd pay a little more for a great rotisserie, but it's rare I find something decently priced and as flavorful as what you find at these places.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:31 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Was just at Costco, price still $4.99. I also LOVE the package of cooked chicken made from the Rotisserie chickens. Great for chicken salad and casseroles without having to pick the meat off the whole chicken. Win!

Old 01-20-2023, 11:32 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
......... so I always grin when people say it is a such an unbeatable deal.
It is an unbeatable deal, to have a tasty, relatively healthy meal that someone else has cooked for you.

Yes, cooking from home is always the most economical way to eat, but there is nothing wrong with occasionally eating a dinner that someone else has done the work. For delicious take-out, the Costco chicken is a real bargain.

Besides, that very few people have a rotisserie at home, so it isn't actually possible to cook a Costco chicken clone at home. Chicken breasts baked in the oven can be delicious but they are not the same meal, so not really comparing apples to apples.

Old 01-27-2023, 10:14 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
A local supermarket often has bone in, skin on breasts on sale for .97 a pound, So for just over $4 I get 4 huge chicken breasts. I season & roast them all at the same time, so I only use electricity once. For each breast I get 4 meals, so that is 16 chicken based meals, plus stock or soup with the bones, if I am in the mood to do it. If you like leg quarters they are even cheaper, (often around .60 a pound).

So for me it is cheaper, the seasoning is only pennies, likewise the power used. Of course I am retired so I have the time to cook it, & I like to do it.

I am not saying the chickens for Costco are not a good bargain, they are, & they are tasty. But it's not cheaper than buying raw chicken parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's cheaper than buying and cooking raw chicken parts. That's the point. There's nothing wrong with using your time like this... especially if you enjoy it, but time is not free.

I've never had the Costco chicken myself, but for those who are looking for a bargain, it seems like one.
That post was from 2019, i seriously doubt that they are still paying $0.97 a pound for chicken breast now. That makes Costco even more of a bargain.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,043,271 times
The warehouse clubs seem to have the best prices on rotisserie chickens. The local grocery has them but the prices are usually not enticing.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:57 AM

6,105 posts, read 2,731,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
The warehouse clubs seem to have the best prices on rotisserie chickens. The local grocery has them but the prices are usually not enticing.

Most grocery stores have rotisseries selling for $9 to $10 dollars. Costco is still the best deal around.

Costco had to invest in its own Chicken plant to keep the price at $4.99.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:03 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,966,247 times
I heard one reason they redesigned the shopping carts was because of the chicken. The earlier versions had the top part (where kids can sit) at a slight angle. People were putting the chicken there and some of the juice was spilling out onto the floor. The new carts have the seat area flat to prevent spillage.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:29 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,508 times
Default Changes?

I buy the roast chicken at Sam's now and then. I have a problem in that my sense of taste is acute. I can tell the difference between fresh vs. frozen, change in production methods, faux lookalikes but not the "real thing," use of freshness extenders, etc.

I know Sam's changed its vendors or maybe the age of its poultry (where do you thing those old egg layers go?). Anyway Sam's chicken now is more fatty, taste different, not as digestible.

Or is it just me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products