Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:14 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought this was rude, and wanted to see if it's just me. I was at Walmart 2 days ago, in the Garden Center shopping for 75% off Christmas items. As I was walking up to the single register, a couple was in front of me with a full cart. They did not have one single item from the Garden Center in their cart, but it was overflowing with groceries. It took quite a while to even empty the cart little by little, as the Garden Center register does not have a conveyor belt of any type. I didn't say anything, but I think they knew I was annoyed as they seemed to be trying to rush. I assumed though that the store must be really crowded with long lines (I had only been in the Garden Center) however when I put my purchases in the car and walked back in, this time to the main part of the store to do my own grocery shopping, I was surprised to see very few people in lines. I think those people just don't want to wait at all, and they discovered if they go to the Garden Center they can often find the register empty.

Do others do things like this? I would be embarrassed to bring a cart full of groceries out to the Garden Center personally.
If a register is open with little to no wait, customers are going to check out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If a register is open with little to no wait, customers are going to check out.
Yes but again, they walked past many registers that were open with little to no wait in order to check out at the garden center. Again that’s why I was surprised. I fully expected to see long lines when I went into the main part of the store and I was shocked when there was no lines. That’s why I came on here to ask why people do this.

Honestly, it took them longer to check out at that register then it would have in the store too, due to the lack of conveyor belt.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,016,975 times
Quote:
Yes but again, they walked past many registers that were open with little to no wait in order to check out at the garden center. Again that’s why I was surprised. I fully expected to see long lines when I went into the main part of the store and I was shocked when there was no lines. That’s why I came on here to ask why people do this.
You keep ignoring the possibility that they may have been looking at plants and then decided to check out. Its not a big deal at all.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You keep ignoring the possibility that they may have been looking at plants and then decided to check out. Its not a big deal at all.
They weren’t, I saw them come in. But in any case it’s fine I got my answers. But I feel compelled to answer questions I already answered so here I am.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:57 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
I

Honestly, it took them longer to check out at that register then it would have in the store too, due to the lack of conveyor belt.

Sometimes, I feel like Walmart is designed to make people irritable. IMO, OP, I DO think it was ridiculous for this family to check out all the groceries at the garden center. But that said, Walmart should've put a sign up to the effect of "Garden Center items only". OR, open up a self service line in the Garden Center.

But Walmart almost seems to be designed to bring out the worst in humans. LOL Nearly every time I visit a Walmart, something will happen, that will make me think "I hate Walmart". It's like death from a thousand papercuts.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sometimes, I feel like Walmart is designed to make people irritable. IMO, OP, I DO think it was ridiculous for this family to check out all the groceries at the garden center. But that said, Walmart should've put a sign up to the effect of "Garden Center items only". OR, open up a self service line in the Garden Center.

But Walmart almost seems to be designed to bring out the worst in humans. LOL Nearly every time I visit a Walmart, something will happen, that will make me think "I hate Walmart". It's like death from a thousand papercuts.
I don’t really have too many issues, like I said this Walmart that I go to is in a semi rural area and really not that crowded. The ShopRite I like is usually more crowded (I made the mistake of going to days before Thanksgiving and was a nightmare). And I’ve had some odd experiences, a couple of people I asked for help on the floor that I walked away thinking might be on the spectrum or something, lol. But also people that have gone out of their way to be helpful on more than a few occasions.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:52 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Yes I don’t think a few items is that big a deal but I found a full cart of food to be odd, especially considering g the Garden Center is on the opposite end of the store from the grocery department. To me it’s like bringing a full cart of food to the pharmacy or electronics department to be rung up. The cashiers pretty much have to do it but it just seems like taking liberties to me. I will have the pharmacy section ring up a few things if I’m also getting a prescription, but even if I was getting prescription I would never ever think to bring an entire cart full of food there for them to ring up.

I do think they realize they shouldn’t have done it as the line started to form behind them With people just buying a wreath or something because they seemed to be zooming as fast as they could (but again there was only so fast they could go as there was no belt). Maybe during other times of the year it’s dead in the garden center, perhaps January February March. But at times of the year such as Christmas and right after Christmas, or memorial day or some other holiday where people are very busy in the garden center, I think they should have thought more. Especially since the register lines in the store were not long at all. I only had one person in front of me when I checked out in the grocery section.
Which store? Corkery or Tuckahoe? My daughter used to work at Tuckahoe and Deptford, she was in the hunting department and hardware, they're not supposed to ring up cart fulls because they're not set up for it.

I personally would have said something. I've said something when it was the under 15 and the person had a full cart. The one lady that's usually there won't do it but if someone else is there they may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Were you following these people around the store? How do you know that they walked past open registers?

And just know that not everyone has the time or desire to check out twice at Walmart. Most people are going to pay for their purchases all at once. Instead of complaining about others using open registers, maybe take the time to recognize how fortunate you are to have that much time to waste at Walmart. Not everyone is able to spend an afternoon shopping.
The way the store is set up, if they had groceries then they walked past registers to get to the garden center.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Which store? Corkery or Tuckahoe? My daughter used to work at Tuckahoe and Deptford, she was in the hunting department and hardware, they're not supposed to ring up cart fulls because they're not set up for it.

I personally would have said something. I've said something when it was the under 15 and the person had a full cart. The one lady that's usually there won't do it but if someone else is there they may.

The way the store is set up, if they had groceries then they walked past registers to get to the garden center.
Corkery. I forgot we’re in the same area, lol. Deptford sucks, I feel for your daughter. I waited in a line that went all the way back to the jewelry counter there once. I avoid Tuckahoe too though.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Corkery. I forgot we’re in the same area, lol. Deptford sucks, I feel for your daughter. I waited in a line that went all the way back to the jewelry counter there once. I avoid Tuckahoe too though.
Do you have your receipt? Do the survey if it's still valid. The Corkey manager will call you to hear what you have to say. The Tuckahoe one won't. That's the one I shop at because I'm closer.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you have your receipt? Do the survey if it's still valid. The Corkey manager will call you to hear what you have to say. The Tuckahoe one won't. That's the one I shop at because I'm closer.

I'm not going to complain about it, I just wanted to hear people's thoughts. I have used the survey mainly when I get bizarre substitutions from the shopper who got my Walmart from Home order ready. They always take the cost off my card but tell me to keep the product anyway. Like the time I ordered turkey burgers and they gave me turkey breakfast sausage patties, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products