Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 12:13 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times

Advertisements

I've never been interested in using a bidet but since I don't know when I'll get toilet paper again, I am seriously considering getting one. Has anyone made the switch and love it? Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 12:25 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Since you probably don't want to remodel your bathroom - just buy an inexpensive bidet insert. They cost about $25+ and take 10 min to install using simple tools.
If you want a bit more fancy and have electric outlet close by - buy an insert that has warm/cold water option.
That's however isn't a must, because the water isn't never really cold - for that small amount, you use water that is in pipes, inside your house.
So, try it out.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-.../hi/6810564011
Tip:
The first time you use it, turn the water knob on the bidet very slowly to adjust the water stream pressure to your butt likeness.
I know someone who didn't, got "hurt" and never wanted to try again. The butt part is sensitive to water pressure, so adjust slowly till you know what it's comfortable for you.

I also wouldn't recommend the #5 on that list if your toilet is close to a traffic area (access to sink or bathtub). It's easy to hit it with a leg and turn the water level on. I prefer the inserts with turn knobs.

Last edited by elnina; 04-06-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 05:39 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I would never pay for one nor use it. Just use soap and a wet rag. I don't know what the big deal is over bedays and TP.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 PM

5,177 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Bidets are old school, the modern version is called a washlet and the Japanese perfected them 20 years ago. They are available in all price ranges and the fancy ones have heated water, adjustable pressures, front or back cleaning, and a built-in air dryer. Washlets typically replace the existing toilet seat and hook up to the standard water line that supplies the toilet. Some do require electricity for heating the water and the air dryer, so you either need a nearby outlet or an extension cord.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I would never pay for one nor use it. Just use soap and a wet rag. I don't know what the big deal is over bedays and TP.
OP wants to know about bidets not soapy wet rags

Old 04-06-2020, 10:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Bidets are old school, the modern version is called a washlet and the Japanese perfected them 20 years ago. They are available in all price ranges and the fancy ones have heated water, adjustable pressures, front or back cleaning, and a built-in air dryer. Washlets typically replace the existing toilet seat and hook up to the standard water line that supplies the toilet. Some do require electricity for heating the water and the air dryer, so you either need a nearby outlet or an extension cord.
Also known as bidet toilet seats. I love mine. Don't use much toilet paper any more, and squeek when I walk!

Old 04-06-2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Washlets typically replace the existing toilet seat and hook up to the standard water line that supplies the toilet. Some do require electricity for heating the water and the air dryer, so you either need a nearby outlet or an extension cord.
Not necessary. Most are mounted under toilet seat.
Fancy ones are a seat and lid combination. Very fancy have remote control, deodorizer, heated seat, warm dryer, Tornado Flush siphon jet system, auto lid open and close, auto flush option, nightlight illumination etc.
Here is an example:
https://www.bidet.org/blogs/news/top...pensive-bidets

As soon as you approach this toilet, its motion sensor will automatically raise the lid, your programmed theme song will begin to play and hidden LED lights will illuminate the bowl.
It has a fully heated seat so you never have to worry about those cold chills early in the morning. The INAX Regio also has a built-in ionic deodorizer that begins to work as soon as it recognizes that somebody is sitting down on the seat. When you’re all finished, the retractable cleaning wands will extend and give you a soothing wash-down. Once the toilet recognizes you get up, the Regio will activate its room deodorizer, leaving your bathroom smelling as good as it did when you walked in.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:34 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP wants to know about bidets not soapy wet rags

Try the attachment for about $25 which is very easy to install. I think the only problem that will arise is that all other toilets will seem gross. And, well, you start to wonder about the cleanliness of others. Though too, with the attachment-kind, there's some splash-back onto the back of the seat...no one seems to talk about this, which will require cleaning (Perhaps larger ppl don't have this issue?). But, to give it a try and see if you like it, it's a small investment. If you like it, get one of the more solid-backed ones.

Anyway, it's a game changer. I suppose those first tooth-brushing people felt the same.

I think they'll be a run on them....as there seems to be on smaller chest freezers (all OOS. yeesh...wish I got it in the autumn when I first planned on it)

Last edited by crusinsusan; 04-06-2020 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-06-2020, 10:52 PM

No back-splash into the back of toilet lid if installed properly. Of course if someone try to get up while the water is running then yes - there will be water splashes everywhere.

And yes - some people would start to wonder about the smelly skid marks on their underwear suddenly gone...
Dry cleaning after #2 with paper is extremely gross to me. No matter how many TP sheets they use, they practically just smear that stuff on their butt skin.
Feces aren't supposed to be "dry-cleaned". Ugh...

Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
I got the attachment and really like it. I'm just about done remodeling my basement bath. I ran power and hot/cold to the toilet. Saving up to buy one of the fancy all in one seats! (Clean, dry, heat, etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products