Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 03:49 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I use a French Press every morning to make one 8 ounce cup of coffee. I grind beans with a good burr grinder and do enough to last me about 10 days so I don't have to do it very often. I use four tablespoons of coarse ground coffee.

It takes 2:30 to heat the water to 200 degrees in the microwave and 4:00 to brew the coffee.

Bodum French Press: https://www.bodum.com/us/en/1924-16us4-chambord

$22 and it will last a very long time (unless you break the glass beaker). I've tried lots of coffee makers, none make coffee that tastes as good as a French Press.
Yah, but your talking about a 6-1/2 wait. We can't have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 04:21 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I brew coffee in a similar simple way, but with a pan of water on the stove. I put the amount of water I want for my morning coffee in the pan and heat it to near boiling. I pour in the ground coffee, usually 1 part coffee to 10 parts water. I stir it in the pan and cover it for 3 or 4 minutes. Then I pour it into the coffee filter and cone, and the brewed coffee goes down into a glass coffee pot. The quality of the coffee is better than I get from most coffee shops or other ways of brewing coffee. I don't add any creme or sugar to drown the coffee flavor. It is also very quick and easy to clean up.

True, my method is not as fast as those one cup coffee brewers, but I don't end up with all those throw-away plastic cups either.
We use an old fashioned tea kettle to boil the water. Then a Melitta (funnel) for the coffee. I've had the Melitta for over 20 years and it's still going strong, barely takes up any space, makes really good coffee, and no wasteful little plastic cups to throw away.

Your way sounds even better but I guess I just don't have the patience to brew it in the pan and then put it into the cone.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:48 PM

560 posts, read 581,679 times
I've had a great experience with a 12 cup Cuisnart model, lasted 10 years of almost daily use. I recently bought the exact same model. It makes good one/two/three cups. Its not Starbucks but its convenient. I may upgrade to an expresso machine.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
It seems like once a year I am replacing them. I have used Keurig and replaced them less than 6 months or some lasted longer. This one I have is a Hamilton Beach. I really did like it until it would not even brew a cup, more like a 1/4 or less of an inch of a brew. It is not my circuit breaker that did it nor the needle needing cleaning, it just plainly quit working. I tried numerous of times and it just won't work. Does anyone else ever have that problem? Not sure what to get since there isn't much of a choice and Keurig is overtaking the marketplaces wherever I shop (not online).
There is a reason the old Keurig 1.0 machines are going for more than they cost new: they were built to last and they don't reject non-official K-cups.

Just Google some prices of the Keurig B60, make sure you're sitting down.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:27 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
I've had a great experience with a 12 cup Cuisnart model, lasted 10 years of almost daily use. I recently bought the exact same model. It makes good one/two/three cups. Its not Starbucks but its convenient. I may upgrade to an expresso machine.
We just replaced our 9 year old Cuisinart drip coffee maker, with the current variation of the same model. It makes fine coffee. We also have a French press which makes the best coffee, but we like the convenience of the larger pot. We even have individual cup filters if you only want one cup.

Neither of us like the Kerig type of coffee. It just tastes too thin, like someone used same grounds to make second pot in a drip maker (don't ask). It is also is an expensive way to have coffee at home.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:46 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
We just replaced our 9 year old Cuisinart drip coffee maker, with the current variation of the same model. It makes fine coffee. We also have a French press which makes the best coffee, but we like the convenience of the larger pot. We even have individual cup filters if you only want one cup.

Neither of us like the Kerig type of coffee. It just tastes too thin, like someone used same grounds to make second pot in a drip maker (don't ask). It is also is an expensive way to have coffee at home.

I buy large containers and use reusable k-cups. About as inexpensive as it gets. Pennies per cup. The disposable cups run from 35 cents to over a dollar depending on quality and quantity.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:46 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetiredone View Post
It seems like once a year I am replacing them. I have used Keurig and replaced them less than 6 months or some lasted longer. This one I have is a Hamilton Beach. I really did like it until it would not even brew a cup, more like a 1/4 or less of an inch of a brew. It is not my circuit breaker that did it nor the needle needing cleaning, it just plainly quit working. I tried numerous of times and it just won't work. Does anyone else ever have that problem? Not sure what to get since there isn't much of a choice and Keurig is overtaking the marketplaces wherever I shop (not online).
I had a Keurig, first one lasted a couple years. Three or so, I believe. Might have been longer. Then it developed a symptom, that I somehow more-or-less fixed. Turned out that was only a stopgap, but it bought me maybe 3-6 months. Because of the dumb way they're built, I could not replace the part(s). So that was that.

Tried drip, that blew up after a couple years too. I'd had drip before, and after, the Keurig now that I think about it.

SO I've gone to French Press, maybe past 5-10 years. I don't really remember. Water warming pot blew up one day, got another for thirty bucks. French press self-destructed one day, got an all-metal for thirty bucks. That's lasted a year or so thus far, I'm not seeing that the press and metal pot will easily break this time. The water warming pot, maybe, because it's clear glass/plastic with a digital thermometer. All such things die eventually, and it's used often as in 5/7 days or so.

Point is it all seems to be disposable. I'm guessing it's the thermal cycles that destroy the products. Glass or similar won't tolerate it for more than a few years. Metal should, and I've now eliminated the bulk of the moving parts. I'm in Seattle and we take coffee brewing seriously, so I have a system that is a bit uptight but brews a wicked-good cup of coffee (two, to be exact, which is plenty for my purposes).

Old 11-11-2020, 06:53 PM

410 posts, read 157,808 times
I like the pour over method, using a ceramic dripper (lined with a paper filter) on the coffee cup, or on a glass server if making more than one cup of coffee. I have the “Bee House” dripper which uses Melitta cone filters,

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/z...pan/bkk-15l-wh

and also a Hario V60 dripper (the white ceramic one) which uses a different shape of paper filter.

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/hario/v60-02

Sometimes I will do as recycled mentioned, putting the grounds right in the heated water, and then pouring that into the ceramic dripper.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:21 PM

1,627 posts, read 1,712,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I brew coffee in a similar simple way, but with a pan of water on the stove. I put the amount of water I want for my morning coffee in the pan and heat it to near boiling. I pour in the ground coffee, usually 1 part coffee to 10 parts water. I stir it in the pan and cover it for 3 or 4 minutes. Then I pour it into the coffee filter and cone, and the brewed coffee goes down into a glass coffee pot. The quality of the coffee is better than I get from most coffee shops or other ways of brewing coffee. I don't add any creme or sugar to drown the coffee flavor. It is also very quick and easy to clean up. True, my method is not as fast as those one cup coffee brewers, but I don't end up with all those throw-away plastic cups either.
Pretty much the same concept as French Press, but uses a paper filter and takes time to drip through and cools off.

At one point I tried using paper filters in addition to the metal mesh filter in the French Press. The coffee lost body and flavor.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:26 PM

423 posts, read 282,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There is a reason the old Keurig 1.0 machines are going for more than they cost new: they were built to last and they don't reject non-official K-cups.

Just Google some prices of the Keurig B60, make sure you're sitting down.

It did not surprised me as the one someone told me that they bought which was $500. I did not know coffee makers were that much, well the expresso or cappuccino perhaps but not an ordinary coffee maker

A lot of people are talking about a French Press. How do you use it.?

Last edited by thetiredone; 11-11-2020 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products