Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:41 AM

457 posts, read 219,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
If budget is not an issue, I would recommend looking into McRoskey Mattress Co. They are a small firm headquartered in San Francisco. They've been in business since before the 1906 quake, and they manufacture old-fashioned tufted mattresses in their own factory. They're made with steel springs and cotton (as much as fire codes will allow). Each mattress is custom made, so it may take weeks or even months to arrive. You can customize the firmness from a range of choices from extra soft to extra firm, but even the extra soft gives good support because of the high quality steel springs. It's the most comfortable mattress I've ever owned. These mattresses are not cheap, but they will last 30 years or more with good care. Rumor has it that Queen Elizabeth owns a McRoskey, though the company will not confirm this.
Thanks for the suggestion. There is an upper limit I am willing to pay but I will check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:03 AM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
That's not the mattress I bought. That is the mattress I am thinking of replacing current mattress with if I return it.

The one I bought was from Menards:

https://www.menards.com/main/grocery...2295918&ipos=3

Sorry, my mistake.
Mattresses are tricky, at least for me; too firm and my shoulder hurts as a side sleeper.
I must have spent 8 hours reading reviews and critiques, as the one we choose should match how we sleep. I also chose factory direct, as they allowed me 120 night to return it, no hassles.
Menard's doesn't give this type of relationship, plus they omit their 11% off as being in-store credit only from their ads...which is very deceptive advertising.

Best wishes on your search.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:24 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Nice

Low cost and great reviews.

Does it keep you cool? One complaint I have regarding the memory foam is the heat.
Mine was bamboo and it has down like clusters of poly fiber versus memory foam or any foam at all. I don’t have an issue with sleeping hot so to me it’s fine. I got mine at Target online, it’s called eLuxury Plush Rayon from Bamboo Mattress Pad with Fitted Skirt.

It won’t let me hyperlink it. Because it defaults to the app for me.

Anyhow, the reason I like the down like clusters of poly fiber is that I use the Carpenter pillows made with the same stuff. Those are called Beyond Down pillows, and they do not crush. I sleep in a variety of positions, and my head is always perfectly supported no matter what position I’m in. If I’m on my side, it’s higher, if I’m on my back, it’s lower, if on my stomach usually I’m hugging it. I love the thicker gussetted pillows.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:33 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
By the way, when I went looking for a new mattress a year or so ago, I went to a discount mattress place. They basically sell last year‘s stock cheaper. And one of the things I told the guy was I don’t like to sleep in a mattress, I like to sleep on a mattress. All the foam mattresses I’ve ever seen and try it out I feel like I’m sleeping in the mattress.

My late husband used to get into bed, find a position and the next morning he was pretty much in that position. I am the exact opposite. I fall asleep on my right side, I’ll go to my back, I’ll flip to my stomach, I’ll be on my left side… My husband used to say (laughingly) that I would actually levitate from the mattress and spin in the air and then fall back down in a new position. several times a night.

Due to his bad back, he needed to have a mattress that suited him. So we got one of those sleep number beds. And those work really well for him. I popped I can’t tell you how many air bladders. Because I could never get it firm enough for my liking. And when I say popped, I don’t mean a hole got in it, essentially the air bladder is like a rubber balloon, and it has what are called I bars that are also vinyl. They are glued to each side of the air bladder in order to have air chambers so you don’t get this big balloon affect. The stress that I kept putting those things under in order to get a firm enough mattress for my liking, caused the glue to fail and the I-bars to separate from the air bladder. And then I’d be sleeping on a balloon which is not comfortable at all.

I slept on it for another few months after he died, and then I realized this is stupid, you hate this thing, get rid of it.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:52 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
45 views and no reply? Am I the only one who doesn't care for modern mattresses?
I just cracked up when I saw this thread because even though I don't have an answer for you except to visit a small time mattress store in a strip mall, years ago I was bitching online about sheets and how I couldn't find NON-SATEEN sheets. It was literally driving me crazy. Nowhere in the stores, nowhere online, I finally gave up after several weeks of looking. I can't remember the solutions people had for me back then, but I think it will be easier for you to find a traditional mattress than for me to find traditional sheets! Best of luck!

Old 05-08-2021, 11:56 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
By the way, when I went looking for a new mattress a year or so ago, I went to a discount mattress place. They basically sell last year‘s stock cheaper. And one of the things I told the guy was I don’t like to sleep in a mattress, I like to sleep on a mattress. All the foam mattresses I’ve ever seen and try it out I feel like I’m sleeping in the mattress.

My late husband used to get into bed, find a position and the next morning he was pretty much in that position. I am the exact opposite. I fall asleep on my right side, I’ll go to my back, I’ll flip to my stomach, I’ll be on my left side… My husband used to say (laughingly) that I would actually levitate from the mattress and spin in the air and then fall back down in a new position. several times a night.

Due to his bad back, he needed to have a mattress that suited him. So we got one of those sleep number beds. And those work really well for him. I popped I can’t tell you how many air bladders. Because I could never get it firm enough for my liking. And when I say popped, I don’t mean a hole got in it, essentially the air bladder is like a rubber balloon, and it has what are called I bars that are also vinyl. They are glued to each side of the air bladder in order to have air chambers so you don’t get this big balloon affect. The stress that I kept putting those things under in order to get a firm enough mattress for my liking, caused the glue to fail and the I-bars to separate from the air bladder. And then I’d be sleeping on a balloon which is not comfortable at all.

I slept on it for another few months after he died, and then I realized this is stupid, you hate this thing, get rid of it.
You're not the only person who has experienced the "balloon" effect with a Sleep Number mattress. I look at all of them on the website and wonder why my mattress sticks out on each side at least 2 inches past the box spring. However, even if I reduce the level to less than "100" it still stays in the "ballooned" shape. I mean, it's functional but it's certainly unattractive.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:06 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,547,458 times
We bought a latex mattress about a year and a half ago. My wife likes it; I don’t. The last mattress we had was a Heavenly Bed. It was a perfect bed for about three years, then it hollowed out. The latex mattress is made with some high quality materials, largely organic. I just can’t seem to get comfortable in any position and for months my back hurt. Thought it would work out but it’s a no go.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:41 PM

12,964 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
If budget is not an issue, I would recommend looking into McRoskey Mattress Co. They are a small firm headquartered in San Francisco. They've been in business since before the 1906 quake, and they manufacture old-fashioned tufted mattresses in their own factory. They're made with steel springs and cotton (as much as fire codes will allow). Each mattress is custom made, so it may take weeks or even months to arrive. You can customize the firmness from a range of choices from extra soft to extra firm, but even the extra soft gives good support because of the high quality steel springs. It's the most comfortable mattress I've ever owned. These mattresses are not cheap, but they will last 30 years or more with good care. Rumor has it that Queen Elizabeth owns a McRoskey, though the company will not confirm this.
Pretty sure McRoskey was featured on "How It's Made" a few years ago.

Old 05-09-2021, 05:18 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,357,219 times
"Why is it so difficult to find a mattress that isn't a pillow top or memory foam?" Why is it so difficult to find a rotary dial telephone ? IMO, it's called innovation.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-09-2021, 06:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Are you Googling "coil spring mattress?" That has a lot of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products