Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 08:11 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So taxpayers should pay to put a cop in front of every store, because store security doesn't look nice? No, it's a retail problem, let the businesses solve it themselves. It doesn't affect me. I don't shop at these businesses anyway, and I don't want to pay for their security, especially when solutions are so simple.
Well the tax payer has proven he will not pay for a cop on every corner unless so many stores are hit in a small time period that we classify the crimes as a riot and then people are conscripted from their regular jobs and put on their military reservist uniforms to support the regular full time police.

"Bars" in themselves are just a cheaper alternative to using more resistant types of glass and transparent plastics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 08:30 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
So taxpayers should pay to put a cop in front of every store, because store security doesn't look nice?
Yeah, this is called the Excluded Middle fallacy. The universe of options does not consist only of bars on the windows or cops at every doorstep. See if you can be creative enough to think of a solution or two in between.

Quote:
No, it's a retail problem, let the businesses solve it themselves. It doesn't affect me. I don't shop at these businesses anyway, and I don't want to pay for their security, especially when solutions are so simple.
If a government is unwilling or unable to provide basic civil order, why even bother having government? And why would anyone want to operate a business where government is not interested in fulfilling such a rudimentary obligation?

Old 12-07-2021, 10:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yeah, this is called the Excluded Middle fallacy. The universe of options does not consist only of bars on the windows or cops at every doorstep. See if you can be creative enough to think of a solution or two in between.

If a government is unwilling or unable to provide basic civil order, why even bother having government? And why would anyone want to operate a business where government is not interested in fulfilling such a rudimentary obligation?
Don't need any option in between. Bars work. Even in the worst, most dangerous neighborhoods, bars on windows protect property, at least long enough for police to arrive.

Now the California Highway Patrol is having to take cops off the highways to provide private security to these businesses. All because bars on windows, don't look pretty. Businesses need to secure their stores. That is a business expense, not a responsibility of government.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well the tax payer has proven he will not pay for a cop on every corner unless so many stores are hit in a small time period that we classify the crimes as a riot and then people are conscripted from their regular jobs and put on their military reservist uniforms to support the regular full time police.

"Bars" in themselves are just a cheaper alternative to using more resistant types of glass and transparent plastics.
There you go. There is another solution. Store security is a business expense, not a responsibility of government. And these high end stores are making more then enough money to put resistant glass into their windows. But they would rather taxpayers foot the bill, to put cops in front of their stores.

Old 12-08-2021, 05:24 AM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Don't need any option in between. Bars work. Even in the worst, most dangerous neighborhoods, bars on windows protect property, at least long enough for police to arrive.
You seem incapable of anything more sophisticated than all-or-nothing reasoning, but I'll give it another go against my better judgment: the clientele for high-end boutiques are not going to shop in neighborhoods where bars are a necessary security feature. That's why there's no Nieman Marcus in the 'hood.

Quote:
Now the California Highway Patrol is having to take cops off the highways to provide private security to these businesses. All because bars on windows, don't look pretty.
It's not merely an aesthetic issue; barred-up business districts are also what we call a "context clue."

Quote:
Businesses need to secure their stores. That is a business expense, not a responsibility of government.
Well, I guess that depends on what sort of environment the governing class wants to govern. If they want to govern and maintain an economically viable civil society, then yeah, it absolutely is their responsibility to protect the commercial districts that, in most cities, generate enough tax revenue to not only support their own district but finance the services for the net-revenue-consuming districts too.

If they don't mind governing a hollowed-out husk of a city like Detroit or Baltimore, they can tell the producer class to fend for itself in a precarious legal landscape for doing so, and see how long they put up with it (hint: not very).

We got a taste of what happens when the producer class gets the message they're not welcome in our cities in the 1970s/80s; it's not an experiment most sane people want to repeat.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:28 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
So taxpayers should pay to put a cop in front of every store, because store security doesn't look nice? No, it's a retail problem, let the businesses solve it themselves. It doesn't affect me. I don't shop at these businesses anyway, and I don't want to pay for their security, especially when solutions are so simple.
Why does it seem like everyone thinks this is only happening to high end or high dollar stores? Do you not shop at discount and drug stores? One of the chains closing stores in SF as a direct result of smash and grab is Walgreens. Not to mention security gets a little trickier when you factor in keeping the safety of employees and customers in mind.
Bars on the windows does what when the businesses are open?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkVL1W8pIM

Old 12-09-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Why does it seem like everyone thinks this is only happening to high end or high dollar stores? Do you not shop at discount and drug stores? One of the chains closing stores in SF as a direct result of smash and grab is Walgreens. Not to mention security gets a little trickier when you factor in keeping the safety of employees and customers in mind.
Bars on the windows does what when the businesses are open?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtkVL1W8pIM
What's the problem? I didn't see anybody stealing anything from that flea market. I wonder why.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
What's the problem? I didn't see anybody stealing anything from that flea market. I wonder why.

Of course you don't SEE anyone stealing FROM the flea market, though rest assured it happens. No honor among thieves and all that...
But the point of the video, that you apparently missed, is that even relatively low value, everyday items are targeted by these thieves because they are low risk and easily resold. It is not only the high end stores that get hit, these thefts DO affect you whether you realize it or not.

Now maybe you would like to answer the questions asked? How do you account for the safety of customers and employees during a smash and grab scenario, and what/how do bars on windows help that situation?

Old 12-10-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Of course you don't SEE anyone stealing FROM the flea market, though rest assured it happens. No honor among thieves and all that...
But the point of the video, that you apparently missed, is that even relatively low value, everyday items are targeted by these thieves because they are low risk and easily resold. It is not only the high end stores that get hit, these thefts DO affect you whether you realize it or not.

Now maybe you would like to answer the questions asked? How do you account for the safety of customers and employees during a smash and grab scenario, and what/how do bars on windows help that situation?
You do whatever needs to be done to secure your business. You don't expect the government to do it for you.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You do whatever needs to be done to secure your business. You don't expect the government to do it for you.
I'll give you brownie points for persistently side stepping the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products