Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 11:25 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I would avoid a crappy knock-off that is going to get misshapen after the first use because it's cheaply made. (Going off the reviews I read for the pans you linked.)
Don't always dismiss cheaply made. Sometimes, even the cheap stuff works well.
For example, we have a post-American made copper bottom RevereWare pot set. Yup, the pots are thinner. But they heat up much faster! Sure, you can't beat on them or mistreat them, but they work fine.
We were gifted an expensive Calphalon pot - what a piece of crap. Its nonstick lining delaminated despite using only plastic or wooden utensils, and gentle hand washing.
We currently have a few Tramontina pots, made in Brazil (sold by Wal-Mart). Very well made, and heavy duty. But prices have gone up.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...Lids/558422340

We lucked out - our Presto 8 qt pressure cooker can use the Tramontina lid - 9.34 inches (24 cm) - from their 8 qt multicooker (pasta and steamer insert). And when cooking up a big batch of stock in the pressure cooker, one can pour everything into the Tramontina's steamer insert and strain it into the 8 qt stockpot.

Back to cast iron - we have a 6", 7.5", and 10" size frying pan, and one small 2 qt dutch oven.
Great for 1 or 2 servings of stir fry!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We also have a 10" round griddle - great for stove top pizza, and a 14" wok (too heavy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 09:58 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Don't always dismiss cheaply made. Sometimes, even the cheap stuff works well.
For example, we have a post-American made copper bottom RevereWare pot set. Yup, the pots are thinner. But they heat up much faster! Sure, you can't beat on them or mistreat them, but they work fine.
We were gifted an expensive Calphalon pot - what a piece of crap. Its nonstick lining delaminated despite using only plastic or wooden utensils, and gentle hand washing.
We currently have a few Tramontina pots, made in Brazil (sold by Wal-Mart). Very well made, and heavy duty. But prices have gone up.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontin...Lids/558422340

We lucked out - our Presto 8 qt pressure cooker can use the Tramontina lid - 9.34 inches (24 cm) - from their 8 qt multicooker (pasta and steamer insert). And when cooking up a big batch of stock in the pressure cooker, one can pour everything into the Tramontina's steamer insert and strain it into the 8 qt stockpot.

Back to cast iron - we have a 6", 7.5", and 10" size frying pan, and one small 2 qt dutch oven.
Great for 1 or 2 servings of stir fry!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We also have a 10" round griddle - great for stove top pizza, and a 14" wok (too heavy).
Calphalon is made in China too. It is grossly overpriced, I agree, but not because it's a quality product. All Clad's stainless steel pans are still made in the USA.

I have had the best experience with Tramontina non-stick. I have bought those at Costco and through Amazon during a Black Friday event. They are my favorite non-stick pans and are holding up really well.

However, I will not get a low-budget pan that has to be a workhorse in the kitchen, like the carbon steel pans. If someone wants to buy cheap and then have to replace the pan every year or two, that's up to them. I know people who think a new pan, regardless of how cheaply made, is better than an older pan that is going to be handed down to next generations. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

On the thinner pans heating up faster - this is true. But they also heat up unevenly, so when you are trying to cook a nice cut of fish or meat evenly, one area will be dark and the other will barely have color. Your results may vary or maybe I'm just a persnickety cook. I'm also opposed to low-rent made in China versions of knives as well. Buy quality, buy once.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:43 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Re: Tri-ply stainless steel pans (no rust)
USE only LOW to MEDIUM heat.
Using a high heat setting causes the tri-ply base to become very hot, which may cause foods to stick, burn or scorch if added to very hot cookware. In fact, the use of high heat can permanently discolor and damage your cookware and void the warranty.
- - - - -
For HIGH heat, use cast iron, or high carbon steel pans (that rust - need seasoning).
* Woks * Fry pans *

There are also numerous complaints of try-ply pans melting and coming apart when used on too high heat. Molten metal on your stove is bad enough, but some folks tried to move them and got it on their floors...and started fires.

Good carbon steel, season like cast iron.

DON'T pack too much meat in the pan, too many pieces will draw off too much heat and screw up your sear/cook. If you need to do so much that the meat is packed in, you either need more pans or you need to do it in batches.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:05 PM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
You can get the larger cast iron skillets that have two handles if one-handing them is too heavy for you. That said, my grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis in her hands and continued using her #7 iron skillet well into her 80s. (That's the standard size.) I used the same one two days ago for fajitas.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:42 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I stand by my cast iron skillets. They belonged to my grandmas and maybe go back farther than that. Can't beat 'em.

And, yes, they are getting more difficult to wrangle as the years go by.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:55 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
I happened across this company when doing research for induction friendly cookware. I bought their stainless set (which I love) and when they started offering carbon steel, I bought one of these also. I’ve always loved my cast iron but I really love the carbon steel even more and it’s easier on my wrist.

https://madeincookware.com/products/...nch-unseasoned

Old 02-15-2022, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
On the thinner pans heating up faster - this is true. But they also heat up unevenly, so when you are trying to cook a nice cut of fish or meat evenly, one area will be dark and the other will barely have color. Your results may vary or maybe I'm just a persnickety cook. I'm also opposed to low-rent made in China versions of knives as well. Buy quality, buy once.
I prefer meeting requirements over marketing hype.

As for knives, 75% of my kitchen cutting is done with a Borner V-slicer (Mandoline). The other 25% is with an old made in Taiwan "short" cleaver, carbon steel. A few swipes on a steel, and its edge is wicked sharp.

Copper bottom (neo)RevereWare heats evenly. Cast iron doesn't heat evenly. Plain stainless steel is even worse.
Tri-ply pans with aluminum cores do a better job of heat distribution.

If you want consistent temperature, you'll have to let the pan heat up and measure with a laser thermometer to verify. But to maintain that temperature, you'll need a lot of metal that can transfer that heat into your food. So a heavier pan has the advantage when searing meat - able to pump in heat without cooling off as fast.
But if I am cooking a small pot of vegetables, or boiling water, I don't need heavy nor heat retention.
Frankly, if I am cooking a nice cut of fish or meat to "perfection" (goal temperature and no higher), that's a job best suited to SOUS VIDE.*

TECHNOLOGY MARCHES ON
Cook your food in a sous vide bath, then when done, sear it.

(* I made a DIY kludge out of a thermostat controller and a hot plate from Wal-Mart. Pot of hot water, heated to goal temperature, and then use ziploc bags to protect the food. Yum.)
(( Some Instant Pot models now offer a Sous Vide setting, and will maintain a preset temperature for slow cooking. Which is great if your food item fits inside.))

Some blokes showing off their cooking chops w/ sous vide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKVvkC-yAyI

Old 02-15-2022, 11:10 PM

GREATEST OPENING SEQUENCE - FOR COOKS, THAT IS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-2QBYKI8LU

Old 02-16-2022, 01:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
I have used an unbranded stainless steel tri-ply bottom pan I got at Macy's 35 years ago and even the spot welded handle has stayed together. That hollow steel handle allows it to go from the cooktop right into the oven for pan broiling or roasting. It may be slightly discolored and have a nick or two on the cooking surface but it has been everything I wanted it to be. It's a tool, not an art piece so I have absolutely zero complaints.

It may have been sold as part of Macy's "Cellar" line which, looking at their website, does not appear to exist any longer. The closest thing I see there now has a riveted handle, and would probably buy if I needed a replacement is the Tramontina at fifty bucks for the ten inch and sixty for the twelve.

Old 02-16-2022, 10:14 AM

2,035 posts, read 1,657,346 times
Quote:
Re: Tri-ply stainless steel pans (no rust)
USE only LOW to MEDIUM heat.
Using a high heat setting causes the tri-ply base to become very hot, which may cause foods to stick, burn or scorch if added to very hot cookware. In fact, the use of high heat can permanently discolor and damage your cookware and void the warranty.

Huh. We've been using our All-Clad pans for 25 years on low, medium, and high. A little scrubbing brings back the shine just fine. No damage as far as I can tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products