Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times

Advertisements

I think Walmart just gets more sued because they are bigger then K-mart, and all them.

I have had good and bad happening Walmart. Ours now , they just rebuild the old one and now is a superwalmart, is bigger more room,,,, cleaner. But for some reason now I dont go there as often?! Wierd huh?

When i go I usuelly go early or late.. never when moms with 5 kids are out lol.

I have 3 Kids, and shopping in 5 different stores to get everything is wasting a lot of time.

What about meijers? I think there meat selections are poor, and nasty looking? noone complains ever about Meijers? I have a friend who works there, she tells me all the time, how nasty it is, how Meijers rips off its own employees. And they buy just as much from China as Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 11:05 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,857 times
I would say crime because the lower class go there. I am not lower class and I still go there. Its a one stop shop. I like Wal-Mart, the prices are good and they have a little of everything. When I say that the lower class go there, I am talking about the people that are too lazy to walk and ride in a motor cart, have no job, collect disibility because they are too fat and lazy to work. A lot of the customers at WalMart are not the people that can afford to shop at Macys, Penney's and other higher chain stores for many budget reasons. They go to a cheep place to shop. I think that its pretty obvious why the crime would follow.

Other than that, I have no problem with Wal-Mart.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:44 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
You know what? I am on a budget, and I buy by groceries at our super wal mart, because all of the grocery stores surrounding are so much more expensive.

Lets say a gallon of 1% milk at walmart. 4.08 at the grocery....5.54 How can you justify that?

Kids juice boxes, walmart.....1.92 grocery...2.97

I can't afford to shop at the grocery store! maybe to go in for just a few things, even better if it is on sale and I have coupons, other than that, cant do it.

As for the look of the store, up in maryland, they seem to be building them to fit in the area. Here, not much to look at, just a grey bldg. blah. No more lay away, even more blah

Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
I think I can safely say that most Arkansans hate Wal Mart, but they manage to run everyone else off or keep everyone else at bay so we have no choice but to shop there. Wal Mart has a hand in almost everything in NW Arkansas (yes, sad but true), it is a big Monopoly.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,214 times
Walmart has always participated above and beyond the call of duty in our community. They maintain clean stores, are cheerful and are very helpful. You can find bad products anywhere and at any stores if you look. You need to be an informed and careful consumer. I don't have an issue with the way they "treat" their employees, my DIL worked there for years and she said it was the best job she ever had! Sure, they don't pay benefits, but neither do 100's of other huge companies and no one is "boycotting" them...take a look at companies like Sears....they rarely have "full time" employees which means they don't pay health insurance. A girlfriend worked there for a few years and NEVER worked over 39 hours a week! So, she was considered "part-time"...people can gripe about Wal-Mart all they want, I shop there every week. It's just like any place else, you need to know what your buying and you'll be fine.

Ozark Nana

Old 10-27-2007, 01:55 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
The Walmart in our town opened this week. It is made to fit the environment around it...log facade, etc., to fit the mountains of Montana. It brought 300 jobs to our town. Nearest Walmart is about 10 miles from us. People are so excited to have it here! Simple people are simply entertained!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
I hate Wal-Mart for many reasons,
they fight neighborhoods to place a store in their area
crowded store and parking lot
lines are always full and wait forever
they dont pay their employees all that great
their groceries keep going up
meat is not very good and more expensive
always out of all the cheap stuff
people stocking the shelfs when you are shopping

I used to shop at wal-mart all the time now I try to never go in there,I shop at Target or albertsons or smiths now and its so much easier to find a parking space and never crowded,fully stocked and helpful people.
Costco is another place to buy good meat and bulk and keep you from buying some stuff for weeks.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:47 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
on the crime thing,in Farmington,New Mexico at Wal-Mart there was a man threating to commit suicide in the parking lot,someone stabbed in sporting goods,a man shot to death by a cop in the parking lot,an employee found a drunk man passed out in her car,many many employeed fired for stealing and thats just in the 2 years I was there, a new Wal-Mart opened last year and had 2 different stabbings in the first week.

In Albuquerque,New Mexico a man was shot to death by a customer in the deli for attacking his wife with a knife.
every Wal-Mart in the city but 1 has been robbed this year.
an employee got stabbed by a thief
a few customers have had their car stolen in the parking lot
thats all I can remember for now

In Portales,New Mexico a few years back a man robbed the place with a shotgun untill the employees tackled him,employees used to sell stuff in the store and pocket the money and help them get it to their car.

In Deming,New Mexico a thief shot a store manager and a little girl that was in the crossfire

I used to work at Wal-Mart and my friend still does so I hear alot about the life in Wal-Mart

Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I shop at Walmart but very selectively. They do not have the lowest prices on most things, far from it. But they try to convince me they do.

The selection stinks, as only those items that have cut corners to have the cheapest prices seem to be offered. I bought a GE air conditioner which cools but doesn't dehumidify. Defect or cost cutting?

They also seem to overpackage things, and hide the items so you can not see what you are actually buying. I buoght a Waterpick showerhead that leaked buckets no matter what I did and returned it, then went to the hardware store and bought one that was made correctly. (The defective one was made in China, natch.)

Because they put most of the local retailers out of business, I have to travel quite a distance to find other choices. They are a monopoly, a coldly moneymaking operation which doesn't pay very well either. Ever notice the famous "WalMart stare"?

When checking out, the clerks never make eye contact, and rarely treat me like a person, even when I make a complimentary remark, or say thank you, when they should be thanking me.

Allegedly low prices for inferior goods are not my preference, but what choice do I have? The world is full of WalMarts now, and not only my purchases, but my taxes, too, support them.

All these big box stores are awful. I can't think of one operation that I actually like and am loyal to.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
They also seem to overpackage things, and hide the items so you can not see what you are actually buying. I buoght a Waterpick showerhead that leaked buckets no matter what I did and returned it, then went to the hardware store and bought one that was made correctly.
I'd say that was a Waterpick issue and, not so much, Wal-Mart's. Though, if they get enough of those returned, I would beg the question if Wal-Mart should continue carrrying such an item. Nonetheless, when it comes to returning items to Wal-Mart, I must say that I've never had a problem returning items. They're policy is pretty lenient.

I like Wal-Mart, as I've said, because of the selection and prices. I'm not a rich guy, but I do have have higher standards. So, I don't buy everything from them. But, everyday items, I'm pretty devoted.

On the other hand, I don't like how some, if not most, Wal-Marts seem sort of trashy. I wish they would do more on their center's beautification of both store and landscaping. Every one I've visited seems like a concrete jungle and fairly plain. Being an anchor store, usually, the stores surrounding it are often trashy little fy-by-night businesses that do not add to the aesthetics or quality of the products offered (as opposed to, say, a high end mall).

I wouldn't say that only low class citizens (in terms of financials, not quality) visit Wal-Mart. I lot of my six figure friends shop there often. I only wish that Wal-Mart would align themselves in a shopping center with other high-end stores, but the likelihood is rather unlikely (from both ends of the retailer spectrum). Or does anyone have any examples and locations of Wal-Marts that do have higher end stores alongside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products