Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:33 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,961 times

Advertisements

Make a scrap book/pictures of the years they've been together, and write cute, funny, sentimental captions under the pictures. They will cherish it always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 10:38 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Here is another idea that maybe you can do for next year as it takes awhile to create. One Christmas I gave my parents a "Memory Book". I came up with about 25 questions and had my siblings answer each of them, and I answered also. I then created a book, which can be done in Microsoft Word. I put the question and then each of our names and answers after the questions.

A few of the questions were: What is the most precious memory you have with mom? What is the most memorable event you had with dad? Tell two positive things you appreciate about each sibling. The list goes on to whatever you want. The last question however is the clincher. If you knew this was the last time you were going to talk to mom and dad, what would you tell them?

I then put a photo collage of all us kids in the front of this book and got a really nice photo collage book at Michaels. My parents happened to be at my house for Christmas that year. My dad does not cry...I've only seen him cry once in his life and that was when his mom died. He was sitting on my couch in tears. They did not know how appreciated they were by all of us. The book is on their coffee table and family and friends sit to read it. There is a lot of laughter...like one of the questions was "what was one thing you did that mom and dad never knew about...or so you think? " But there are also a lot of tears. It was a fun project and I know that my parents know how I feel about them, and my siblings too. Nothing is left unsaid in our family now. As my parents progress in age if they ever wonder how their kids felt about them all they have to do is open that book and be taken back to our childhood and early 20s.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:35 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,535,447 times
That just sounds like the coolest thing I could ever imagine!

Old 03-17-2007, 03:57 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
That just sounds like the coolest thing I could ever imagine!
well if anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to give you the template I created and you can fill in the rest. Depending on the size of your family, your time committments etc., if it's for Christmas I really recommend starting in July. It took me that long to get the answers back and then all put together. I was scrambling to find a cool book. I ended up with a nice purple cloth book that I inserted the pages on. If I had more time, and access to my parents photo albums I would've added more photos.

Just pm me if you're interested. And it can be for anyone. One of my second cousins did one for her mom and her in-laws. So it can be tailored for that special someone(s) in your life. (bad grammar I know).

Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another idea that maybe you can do for next year as it takes awhile to create. One Christmas I gave my parents a "Memory Book". I came up with about 25 questions and had my siblings answer each of them, and I answered also. I then created a book, which can be done in Microsoft Word. I put the question and then each of our names and answers after the questions.

A few of the questions were: What is the most precious memory you have with mom? What is the most memorable event you had with dad? Tell two positive things you appreciate about each sibling. The list goes on to whatever you want. The last question however is the clincher. If you knew this was the last time you were going to talk to mom and dad, what would you tell them?

I then put a photo collage of all us kids in the front of this book and got a really nice photo collage book at Michaels. My parents happened to be at my house for Christmas that year. My dad does not cry...I've only seen him cry once in his life and that was when his mom died. He was sitting on my couch in tears. They did not know how appreciated they were by all of us. The book is on their coffee table and family and friends sit to read it. There is a lot of laughter...like one of the questions was "what was one thing you did that mom and dad never knew about...or so you think? " But there are also a lot of tears. It was a fun project and I know that my parents know how I feel about them, and my siblings too. Nothing is left unsaid in our family now. As my parents progress in age if they ever wonder how their kids felt about them all they have to do is open that book and be taken back to our childhood and early 20s.
Now that sounds like something that they'd enjoy. Very neat idea.

Quote:
Maybe a bottle of Dom Perignon or Cristal? I think they are doing the big stuff for each other. I'd not try to get too fancy or it may rain on their parade. Keep it to the dinner and...maybe... champagne?
My dad recieved a bottle of Don Perignon as a present a while back, he tried it and said "It tastes like expensive flavored water". So champagne may not be the thing.

That gift basket idea sounds neat and I could incorporate different items like the matching key chains and wine glasses.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times
speedy az

burn a CD or 3 (depening on how many songs you can fit on each cd
with the number one hit from each year they have been married
start with the song "first time every I saw your face" then their wedding song if you can find out what it was, then the number one from each year
you can find them by google
number one song march 19 then the year
now for the year you were born I would sneak in the ever corny "having my baby"

make 3 copies one for each then one for their home
if you can copy their wedding picture for the CD cover that would be even nicer
I helped a friend of mine do this for her husband for their 25th and she said he was in tears because it ment so much .

karla
p.s. you can also do this for those special birthdays lol I may make my own for my 50th this Oct

Last edited by FLPL75; 03-17-2007 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: still don't have that typing thing down

Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM

89 posts, read 268,610 times
A dinner at their fave restaurant and also if you can find an old photo of them when they just started dating, have it blown up to (8x10) put it in a nice farme and , if you wish to do so engrave the frame with their anniversary date on it

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 AM

1,559 posts, read 689,148 times
Get Them (esp.MOM) a year worth of Auto Bell! Keep that new car shining!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:20 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
On Monday it's my parents' anniversary (32nd...I think ) and I'd like some ideas/suggestions for a good gift. I plan on taking them out for dinner and I really don't want to give a gift card (seems too impersonal). What do you think would be something nice?

.......... So I'm stumped...
How about a nice vacation, or week end getaway ?
That could be either WITH the rest of the family.....or send them all by themselves. (It all depends, on how well the family gets along, how often you guys get to see each other....etc.)

My parents just celebrated their big 5-0 Anniversary, and my brothers and I threw them a huge party.
I surprised them with a big wedding cake, a big bridal bouquet and a custom engraved Wedding Memory Album (with 2 pictures of their 1958 Wedding, the invitation to the party, newspaper clippings with the announcement, and tons of the Anniversary party pictures.)

Also, did my husband and I give them a vacation, first coming here to the US, and from here we will be going on a cruise.

However, that might be a bit to much "over the top" in your case.
But, paid vacations and getaways always seem to be welcomed.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,573 times
i am having the same problem , but i live in the city, so i will go shop for them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products