Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 03:16 PM

85 posts, read 217,697 times

Advertisements

Looking for at least basic cable + ESPN, Spike, etc. Not looking for phone, but need faster internet than standard cheap internet. Not really interested in DSL, so cable internet only.

NEED HDTV and DVR in two rooms.

Dish Network
Directv
Midco
Prairie Wave (?)

Who else? What do you all use and why do you like it or not like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

509 posts, read 1,351,005 times
I have Midco for net and used to have it for tv but now have Directv....That is LIGHT years better, I get more channels for about the same amount as i paid for midco's 'deals' with midco's internet and directv, if i could find another isp that was cheaper I'd switch from Midco but there is no one better around here, Knology/Prairie Wave is kind of crappy, my neighbor has Dish and I haven't heard her say anything about it either way.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:03 PM

662 posts, read 1,230,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsk42 View Post
Looking for at least basic cable + ESPN, Spike, etc. Not looking for phone, but need faster internet than standard cheap internet. Not really interested in DSL, so cable internet only.

NEED HDTV and DVR in two rooms.

Dish Network
Directv
Midco
Prairie Wave (?)

Who else? What do you all use and why do you like it or not like it?
MidContinent (aka Midco) is about the only game in town for faster than DSL Internet. Knology has Internet too but it tops out at something like 8M/512k while Midco's starts at 30M/4M and goes up to something like 105M/20M. They do have clear QAM on their basic package, so you may not need a box if you have an HDTV. You can also run your own DVR if you wish, as long as it has a digital tuner in it. They have no analog signals at all, so you will need a converter box to drive an old tube TV. Prices are not awful but it will take you at least 2-3 weeks to get an installer out to turn on your service.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,912 times
I moved to Sioux Falls from Philadelphia a few months ago where Verizon Fios was the premier service and Comcast was a close 2nd....but very disappointed by Midconn's / Comcast's limited on-demand offerings here. Their "upgraded" internet service is the slowest since the days of dial-up (which also loses signal quite often). They tell me I can upgrade it for another $20 per month but don't think that's going to help the regular disruptions. Calling Direct TV today just to spread it around a bit...I know they have more movies to choose from and internet can't get any worse. (We have actually been using our phones' hot spots to maintain service)

Old 01-08-2013, 08:12 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,955,710 times
Just a little side note if you get DirecTV or Dish. With Satellite TV when a storm is coming and about the time you want to get updates as to weather a tornado or hailstorm is bearing down on you, your satellite will go out. A good idea is to have a little TV somewhere complete with rabbit ears to use in those situations.

We have DirecTV and Knology for internet. No real issues with DirecTV. Knology is pretty mediocre.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM

509 posts, read 1,351,005 times
I haven't had issues with Directv in Harrisburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls