Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 39,803 times

Advertisements

I am a retiree in Washington, DC who is considering relocating to Aiken. My woodworking hobby is one of my favorite pastimes, and I'm wondering if there are any woodworkers in Aiken. A club would be ideal.

Anybody?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
I found a Mr. Marvin Bishop, the retired owner of Bishop Woodworks in a google search. They make outdoor and casual furniture, and have never heard of pine.

Mr. Bishop also has a list on the Old Wood Working Machine's website.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Thank you, Evey.

I have read many of your posts concerning your experiences and thoughts regarding Aiken. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:28 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,238,078 times
You are more than welcome.

I hope you like it here as much as I do.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:07 AM

48 posts, read 212,613 times
Default woodworking

My husband is an avid wordworker and we too are considering a move to Aiken. I love to ride and plan on bringing my horse but that leaves my husband with nothing to do. If you get any more info, I really would appreciate a follow up post or an email. Thanks

Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 AM

Estrogen, I was in Aiken last week to write a contract on a house in South Meadow. I should be moving in January or February.

If you do move, please get in touch. Your husband and I will have much to talk about.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 22,052 times
I'm new to the board...we're a transplanted couple from NY now living in Aiken. I know that Cedar Creek development has a woodworking club for their members. We lived at Cedar Creek for a while when we first moved down but now we're in a neighborhood close to the city of Aiken. We LOVE it here!!!!!

Old 09-27-2006, 06:29 AM

Default woodworking

We are leaving tomorrow for a road trip down to Aiken to look around. I hope that we will like it because I'm ready to get out of Ohio........if we do decide I definitely will look up the other woodworkers.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM

Can you tell me where your house is located in relationship to Hitchcock Woods? We really don't even know where to start looking. What did you think of the prices? What kind of equipment do you have and did you build with a workshop in mind? So many questions !!!

Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrogen View Post
Can you tell me where your house is located in relationship to Hitchcock Woods? We really don't even know where to start looking. What did you think of the prices? What kind of equipment do you have and did you build with a workshop in mind? So many questions !!!
I had to go to the map to find Hitchcock Woods. My house is about 3.5 miles south off of Whiskey Road, 1.5 miles from Aiken Mall.

I found my house on realtor.com. You can enter your search criteria: price, no. of bedrooms, no. of baths, lot size, etc. I got a real good feel for the market by running a search every few days. Most properties have a listing realtor, if not, you can give the MLS# to any realtor and he/she can get you in to see it.

Re: prices. I'm from Washington, DC. To be able to buy a ranch style, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, one car garage house for under $150,000 is amazing to me. A house with those specifications in this area, if you could find one, would be two or three times the price. As Evey has said, housing in Aiken is still affordable.

When I move, I'll be bringing a table saw and a router table with me. The other tools, drill press and band saw, are tabletop units and very portable. I may leave my workbench here, if my son wants it, and build another one in Aiken.

I am having some enhancements built into the garage - extra insulation, insulated door, and a heat pump for year-round heating/cooling. I'm looking forward to being able to work in the shop in the winter.

The members of this forum have been very helpful and informative to me. Post any questions that might arise, someone will have an answer for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina