Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaleLopezArce View Post
I am not sure of the exact date, but their job listings on Indeed indicate a July opening.

Last I heard about Jimmy John's is they were intending on going in the shops at The Retreat. I messaged Shane's Rib Shack and suggested that location to them and they said they are speaking with the owners but there is a long wait list there. So who knows.
Long wait? They’ve been finished and empty for over 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 09:43 AM

82 posts, read 73,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Long wait? They’ve been finished and empty for over 6 months.
Yeah, I know. I remember when the hot dog place by the base had a sign that said "Opening Soon". I swear the sign was up for two years before they finally opened. If that was "soon", then a "long wait" probably means sometime in 2045 AD...

(But my post said a long wait LIST... lol!)

Last edited by MichaleLopezArce; 06-09-2021 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 06:41 AM

35 posts, read 27,650 times
Like most information about what is coming to Sumter (The Item tries, but usually reports after word has spread in town), I was able to find this little nugget on the City of Sumter website; it's a pdf but basically describes the addition of a few murals downtown to help spruce it up.

https://www.sumtersc.gov/sites/defau...ural_sites.pdf

I approve, though I had my own grandiose idea about what do with that corner of Liberty/Main above the fountain. I can settle for this though.

I also have a friend who works at Sumter Original Brewery, apparent there is indoor/virtual golf coming next door to the Brewery (10 S. Main St.)

Downtown Sumter is becoming quite the place to go to in town, especially now that J O'Grady's After Hours (a karaoke bar) has reopened.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:53 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,662,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9150 View Post
Like most information about what is coming to Sumter (The Item tries, but usually reports after word has spread in town), I was able to find this little nugget on the City of Sumter website; it's a pdf but basically describes the addition of a few murals downtown to help spruce it up.

I approve, though I had my own grandiose idea about what do with that corner of Liberty/Main above the fountain. I can settle for this though.

I also have a friend who works at Sumter Original Brewery, apparent there is indoor/virtual golf coming next door to the Brewery (10 S. Main St.)

Downtown Sumter is becoming quite the place to go to in town, especially now that J O'Grady's After Hours (a karaoke bar) has reopened.
Great idea, we can use more expressive art work in the downtown area and lots of it. As long as it's pretty decent, you can never go wrong with that. It will attract more people to the area to check it out, and they might check out other things while down there. Downtown have a much different vibe these days, while still room for improvement, it's not the same place it used to be, so kudos to the city for what they have done thus far.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:16 PM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Great idea, we can use more expressive art work in the downtown area and lots of it. As long as it's pretty decent, you can never go wrong with that. It will attract more people to the area to check it out, and they might check out other things while down there. Downtown have a much different vibe these days, while still room for improvement, it's not the same place it used to be, so kudos to the city for what they have done thus far.
Agreed...downtown is way ahead of where it was in the 90s and early 2000s when many of the concepts that were are seeing now were in their infancy. The fact there is now a Master Plan for the Downtown should bode well for the next 10 to 20yrs but hopefully more occurs sooner rather than later. The City owns the parcel on the corner of Main and Bartlette St next to the new Utility Dept. Building.. Its a perfect location for some anchor project for the south end of Downtown.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:56 PM

313 posts, read 471,284 times
It’s interesting that Florence was way behind Sumter in it’s Downtown redevelopment and Florence is quickly catching up.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:44 PM

[quote=Woodlands;61223835]Agreed...downtown is way ahead of where it was in the 90s and early 2000s when many of the concepts that were are seeing now were in their infancy. The fact there is now a Master Plan for the Downtown should bode well for the next 10 to 20yrs but hopefully more occurs sooner rather than later. The City owns the parcel on the corner of Main and Bartlette St next to the new Utility Dept. Building.. Its a perfect location for some anchor project for the south end of Downtown.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, now I hope the city does something with the old police department. The building is slightly beginning to look unkept, The weed and grass growing up in the cracks in the parking lot don't look so nice from the street. I know the building is vacant, but it shouldn't be allowed to go down in plain sight, I can see the small changes over time. At least allow the public and other businesses to use the parking lot, so tax payers money won't go to waste, or refit the building for office space.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
It’s interesting that Florence was way behind Sumter in it’s Downtown redevelopment and Florence is quickly catching up.
It's that unspoken competitiveness, people talk and they hear about what the Gamecock city is doing. That was all the motivation they needed to get the ball rolling over there. In my opinion, the competition is really between all of the 2nd tier cities in the state. There's no competition between the top three, because they all have their distinctive purpose and far enough away from each other.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:47 AM

93 posts, read 90,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9150 View Post

This is true, the Item is slow. Lol. (On another quick note about the Item, they must be desperate. Received a little rolled up tidbit from the paper yesterday and a coupon to join.) I'm apart of the Facebook group for downtown Sumter and people are cheering the idea of a Chick-fil-a going up in the McCrays Mill Pinewood Rd area. I've heard the rumor toggled back and forth many times. Of course someone on the post said they heard just a few days ago that one was coming. Has anyone else heard this? And if not, how can we really truly work on getting one there? Cz it is much needed. As said in the FB post, the Broad location is always overwhelmed.

Old 06-13-2021, 06:29 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzritz007 View Post
This is true, the Item is slow. Lol. (On another quick note about the Item, they must be desperate. Received a little rolled up tidbit from the paper yesterday and a coupon to join.) I'm apart of the Facebook group for downtown Sumter and people are cheering the idea of a Chick-fil-a going up in the McCrays Mill Pinewood Rd area. I've heard the rumor toggled back and forth many times. Of course someone on the post said they heard just a few days ago that one was coming. Has anyone else heard this? And if not, how can we really truly work on getting one there? Cz it is much needed. As said in the FB post, the Broad location is always overwhelmed.
The only way a Chick-fil-A would open is if Chick-fil-A allows it. As with any franchise, the franchisee owns a protected area. That area is determined by population density and geography. It is designed to protect the existing franchisee from having someone open another store inside of his territory and taking his business. It also assures the franchiser that they will have profitable, high volume stores. I don’t know the calculation that they use to determine this, but rest assured that if it doesn’t match the ideal criteria to open a new store, they won’t do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina