Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 07:57 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Fox News talk show hosts are the ones who recommend getting the vaccine. Can you show me where I have agreed with companies that are mandating their employees get it? If I did, I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 08:06 PM

Looking back through this thread, most of my posts have been related to the title. Somehow COVID got into the picture. And it feels like I keep getting attacked politically. I’m done with the extraneous stuff.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:09 PM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times
You are the one who brought up Fox News and Trump, and made it political.

You made this post: "Urbanists are more likely to be vaccinated and to mask up when around others. Country people are more likely to think it’s all silly. Trump never did become emphatic enough with them on getting the vaccine and wearing a mask. And FOX News hadn’t helped except for their too little too late sound bites on the issue."

Most of that is not true or unprovable. We know there are politicians and others who want mask mandates but are frequently seen not wearing a mask. Joe Biden doesn't even do covid task force briefings but you say the other guy who did those had a lack of empathy. Biden is frequently seen not wearing a mask. But you say you are an independent. Every talking point you use skews one way. It doesn't make sense you are talking about Trump at this point, he's not the president and he pushed for the vaccines you are touting.

You are talking down about 'country people' regarding vaccines and masks but you don't have a science background.

You can't explain why young healthy people need to get the vaccine or provide evidence that cheap masks stop a microscopic virus. As I pointed out, there has been no corresponding rise in infections in areas with football games played in big stadiums and most of the fans don't appear to be wearing masks.

If you look at the per capita covid death rates in big cities, it is not good. The majority of covid deaths have occured in urban areas. Rural areas are sparsely populated. It doesn't make sense to advise people to live in an urban area if they want to increase their chances of not being infected.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-04-2021 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 08:29 PM

“It is inconsistent for the same kind of people who support mask and vaccine mandates and various social distancing measures to support increasing the population density of our cities.”

Old 10-04-2021, 08:31 PM

That's a good observation. You want people masked up all day and vaccinated but at the same time you think it is a good idea for cities to be more populated and dense.

I thought it was surprising you were complaining about 'sprawl' during a pandemic. Another expression for sprawl is social distancing. I don't see how this comment about population density and the pandemic logically sets you up to you make a disparaging comment about Fox News and Trump.

Keep in mind upthread you randomly asserted that people who live in the outer suburbs are racist. You seem to have an animosity for 'country people' that doesn't make sense. How do people in the rural areas affect a person living in Charleston. There is violent crime occurring all the time in downtown Charleston but you are focused on non-violent people in the rural areas. It is not likely you are going to get the virus from somebody living in a rural area if you live in Charleston.

Without the ability to mind read, how do you know people in the burbs or rural areas are racist? You can't know most of them. If a judge asked you in court to prove your big claim, would you be able to prove your claim or your motivation for making the claim?

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-04-2021 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 08:47 PM

You are apparently missing the headlines about shootings, stabbings, robberies, etc., that are going on all over the place and in the news every day. I’m not going to call any of the places out. I don’t believe in doing that, but they are suburban, exurban and rural as often as they are in the city.

“I think a lot of people are more attracted to small towns and rural areas now after the lockdowns, mask mandates and urban riots of the past 18 months.” Remember that line? I merely responded by saying there’s nothing about urban living that precludes social distancing and being safe regarding COVID.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:56 PM

Your comment didn't stop with that. You then got into the other stuff (Trump, Fox News) which did not seem relevant to my comments about growth, density, urban vs rural, pandemic. You also speculated that people living in outer suburbs in SC are racist.

Urban areas have more infected people because there are more people. If you live around more people, you are more likely to get covid.

I'm not beating up on urban areas by pointing out the probability of infection due to the population and density differences. I'm not the person who shames people for not wearing a mask or getting the vax.

Despite what you said, there are tons of people in urban areas who don't wear masks and have not received the vax. The vax does not prevent infections. If masks work and population density is not an issue and urban non-conservative people all wear their masks, then how do you explain NY and NJ having a higher number of infections and higher per capita covid death rate than SC? Something has to give there.

Surely you don't think a person who works on Wall St in NYC can have the same probability of getting the virus as a farmer in Timmonsville SC?

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-04-2021 at 09:21 PM..

Old 10-05-2021, 05:21 AM

I stand by my correlation between Trump’s lack of emphasis and FOX News’s conservative commentators’ attitude toward COVID and rural people’s not taking the virus seriously enough soon enough. I don’t support vaccine mandates. A mask isn’t going to harm anyone. As I said, it’s good to know there’s no longer a tipping point at which the typical all-white suburban street and cul-de-sac (sp) gets “one too many” Black families and all the whites sell. That’s great!

Old 10-05-2021, 08:38 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
I don't buy into the theory that a significant number of black Americans are not getting the vax because of something racist that happened in the past, especially the poor black Americans.
You don't have to, but it's the truth.

Quote:
If a person is not working for a large corporation, and not on social media or watching a lot of television, they probably haven't heard much about the vax. Many people don't understand what a vaccine is.
Smh....

Old 10-05-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I stand by my correlation between Trump’s lack of emphasis and FOX News’s conservative commentators’ attitude toward COVID and rural people’s not taking the virus seriously enough soon enough. I don’t support vaccine mandates. A mask isn’t going to harm anyone. As I said, it’s good to know there’s no longer a tipping point at which the typical all-white suburban street and cul-de-sac (sp) gets “one too many” Black families and all the whites sell. That’s great!
Trump talked up the vaccines all of last year. Every conservative knows he pushed the vaccine. Blaming Trump for vaccination rates is political, not valid criticism.

He also did the travel restrictions on China early on. Biden and other Democrats said those travel restrictions were racist. How were you taking it seriously.

We know black and Hispanics are the least vaccinated. Why isn't Biden to blame for that using your logic. He rarely speaks in public and has no covid task force briefings. We have been told blacks are more likely to die from covid and Biden won the primary and general because of black voters. You don't critize Biden for failing to persuade his own voters.

Given you are in your 60s, you have a conflict of interest in talking about covid. The data does not show most people die from covid. Your problem with Fox is they provide the data. You want fear mongering and advocacy for your position

How many people would get the vaccine if they know about people dying from it due to blood clots. People who are strident about vaccines don't want people to hear these stories or will dismiss it as no big deal. How do you call the vax safe if it can kill young people.

The only rational case for getting the vax is the person is more likely to die from covid due to age, obesity and other conditions.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 10-05-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina