Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 01:07 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times

Advertisements

Still early, but it appears there has been a mass shooting at Columbiana Mall near Irmo.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...mainstage_lead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 02:06 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I must be past my allotment of free articles on The State, unfortunately. WIS and LTX are saying no fatalities. No word yet on the seriousness of injuries. People in the comment sections are already blaming it on whomever they perceive as their political enemies.

Old 04-16-2022, 02:13 PM

Live press conference on WIS' web site at 4:13. They are getting the cameras and audio ready as I type. Audio is low, by the way. No one currently at the mic.

Still waiting for someone to show up and speak at 4:20. someone was helping the photojournalists get their white balance by holding up a white sheet of paper a few minutes ago

4:27 -- WIS anchor saying they are hearing many stories what happened but will not report it until they hear it from a confirmed source. (National news should take a cue from this.) They are reporting the Harbison exits are shut down and the traffic is heavy in the area. I am watching on the internet. WIS was just live on TV and the web but went back to regular programing on TV. Live shot on their web site is an empty makeshift podium with mics from all four Columbia TV stations

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 04-16-2022 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-16-2022, 02:34 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
wow.. just wow... I hope Columbiana doesnt follow its predecessor Columbia Place

Old 04-16-2022, 03:01 PM

Press conference was moved to 5 p.m. It's 5 p.m. Still no press conference. This is typical. I used to be a photographer for two stations in Columbia. It's often Hurry up and wait!

5:04 Presser is starting. Audio still low for me.

5:07 I moved to WLTX. Audio is fine, but I think I missed the headlines. Waiting for reporter's questions. Chief Holbrook is thanking everyone.

5:09 Not a random shooting. The shooters knew one another and had a conflict with one another. Three people detained, not called suspects, but we know about that. Not sure if these are the one injured.

5:11 Darci Stickland is wrapping it up. 12 people injured, 10 were shot. Two are very serious. One of the injured is in their 70s, another is 15. 2 injured trying to get away. Traffic is at a standstill on Harbison. Some side roads are closed. Don't go there. Darci is now live on Facebook and their website after being live on TV believe I have got all this right

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 04-16-2022 at 03:22 PM..

Old 04-16-2022, 03:18 PM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
I hope the innocent survive their injuries.

Old 04-16-2022, 03:23 PM

5:22 People are still in mall, mostly employees, evidently. They have been told to stay where they are until police tell them to leave.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:38 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
The fact that this was in the middle of the day INSIDE the mall is disturbing THe fact that this is the areas premier mall in an era where malls are often standing with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel is not helpful. Sandhills overtook COlumbia PLace.. and eventually it too went into decline because of similar issues...

Old 04-17-2022, 01:33 AM

Late night update. Columbia police have arrested one of the three that were initially "detained" after the shooting.

Quote:
Officers announced just after 12 a.m. Sunday that 22-year-old Jewayne Price is charged with unlawful carrying of a pistol. The agency said they're consulting with the 11th Circuit Solicitor's Office about possible additional charges.
They released the other two they had been questioning after it was determined they were not involved in the shooting. The number of injured is now 14. Luckily, all have been released from the hospital except for one, sadly, a 73-year-old woman. Police think three people pulled guns inside the mall. They think they all knew one another and that the shooting was due to an earlier conflict, SMH

Suspect arrested in Columbiana Mall shooting, two more suspects wanted; total injuries raised to 14

Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Fortunately no fatalities in this incident. But a bit surprising and and indeed disturbing it occurred at Columbiana, the nicer mall in the region, rather than Columbia Place, the declining venue. Columbiana has the nice large Belk with the expanded Mens Dept. in the old Sears spot, whereas Columbia Place only has Macy''s remaining in a rougher neighborhood.

As for the news coverage, a bit surprising that the GSP stations had no detailed coverage other than video piped in from the Columbia stations. Especially since WHNS-21 is now a sister station with flagship WIS-10 in Columbia. I would have thought WYFF and WSPA would have had better coverage. Both WSOC-TV Channel 9 and WJZY-FOX46 Queen City News in Charlotte sent their own live reporters to Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina