Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Are you factoring in price per acre? I would be shocked to discover land outside Greenville or even Charleston is comparably expensive to land outside of Boise or even Pocatello.

Not OP but this is probably referring to rapid population expansion exceeding the capacity of infrustructure to adapt. My daily commute is trivial so this is not a significant concern for me.
Exactly what I was referring to.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 05:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Nah alligators always factor into my decision. But what put me off on Greenville was something I read about prevalance of roaches

Palmetto Bugs, aka roaches, are easily controlled . . . We have a quarterly pest control treatment and very, very rarely see one get into the house (3 or 4 in six years). Alligators . . . Are a lot harder to control. Lol.

Old 01-20-2024, 07:08 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If you would like to live on a few acres outside a city, either Idaho or South Carolina would work.

Greenville is definitely conservative. I've driven there a few times within the last few years. Always see a Confederate flag or two.
There are not many Confederate flags in Greenville. The flags you will see the most are US flags and college flags for Clemson, USC and other southern colleges.

The Confederate flag was placed on the State House by a Democrat segregationist governor, Fritz Hollings. There's an infamous picture of Hollings giving JFK a small Confederate flag when JFK came down to SC to stump for president. Democrats had full control of the south during the slavery and segregation eras. It is not historically correct to associate Republicans with a Democrat party flag. It is true some Republicans pandered to Democrats on the Confederate flag issue when Democrats had more power in the state. A political strategy doesn't make the flag conservative. Many Republican politicians in our state would run as Democrats in blue or purple states.

You will see an occasional Confederate flag in Charleston as well. That is a confederate flag fan's favorite city given its history. Greenville doesn't get associated with slavery and civil war history like Charleston and the eastern part of the state are. That's one of the things I like about Greenville.

SC has elected one of the few black Senators, Tim Scott. The county that had the highest number of votes for Scott was probably Greenville. Our left leaning newspapers have complained about Scott being unbeatable in SC.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-20-2024 at 08:00 AM..

Old 01-20-2024, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Also, there was the perception of too many Charleston voters that the prior mayor wasn’t doing enough when actually he was performing quite well. It’s hard to follow in Joe Riley’s footsteps because of the public’s perception that he was all that, rightly or wrongly.
The rioting in Charleston 3 years ago is probably why the Democrat mayor lost. Many people in Charleston believe leaders told the police to stand down during those riots.

Greenville did better handling the riots than Charleston and Columbia.

Old 01-20-2024, 10:24 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
Quote:
Funny. I have never, ever (okay, like once) seen anyone ask about churches on Nextdoor, nor invitations to one. And I’m on there many times every day. But I live west of the Cooper and don’t see much from Mount Pleasant, if anything, because it’s outside my greater neighborhood.

There’s debate and a big unanswered question about why Charleston is called the Holy City. Some historians have said it’s because of the city’s history of being a welcoming haven for all religions in its early history. But it certainly wasn’t nicknamed that because of conservative evangelical Christian values that are driving people to move to places where they’ll fit in best (hint: not in Charleston). Maybe Mount Pleasant.
I see it often and it's at least weekly that there's a post in reference to the Bible and those topics will go on for a few days. But then I do live in Mount Pleasant. It's mixed in with the forever discussion on golf carts, dog poop, personal fitness trainers, people willing to clean your yard or gutters, lost dog/cat/bird, found dog/cat, and the seasonal shock our newer neighbors have to the fact retention ponds do have gators.

When people are talking about moving here from out of state and they talk about a city, whether it's Greenville, Columbia, or Charleston they're referencing the city and all areas within typical commute of that city which will include the suburbs. They are not looking at only something that resides within the city limits.

Most of the people moving to our area have done so due to lower cost of living, less taxes, and better weather. It could be argued that the lower cost of living and lower taxes are a result of conservative governance. But even if you don't buy that, should someone be looking to relocate and are seeking a conservative location with Christian values Charleston and the outlying suburbs would fit the requirement IMO.

The Holy City name came from both the religious tolerance as well as the over 400 church steeples that made up the skyline. Until recently the building height within the historic district was capped at the tallest exceptional building measured by feet which was the Saint Matthew's Lutheran Church at 297 feet. I believe in 2020 the BAR voted to move from feet to stories.

https://library.municode.com/sc/char...nodeId=1005797

Quote:
If any portion of a structure subject to the jurisdiction of the BAR is within fifty (50) feet of an existing structure rated "exceptional" (Group 1) or "excellent" (Group 2) on the Historic Architecture Inventory, adopted by Section 54-235, or a structure in the Landmark Overlay district, such portion of that structure shall not exceed the height of such existing structures unless approved by the Board of Architectural Review based on architectural merit and context.

Last edited by IsNull; 01-20-2024 at 10:42 AM..

Old 01-20-2024, 05:51 PM

240 posts, read 236,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Palmetto Bugs, aka roaches, are easily controlled . . . We have a quarterly pest control treatment and very, very rarely see one get into the house (3 or 4 in six years). Alligators . . . Are a lot harder to control. Lol.
That's 4 more treatments than I have to bother with out here. But I imagine people have to deal with roaches and alligators on the coastal plain?

Old 01-20-2024, 07:41 PM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
The rioting in Charleston 3 years ago is probably why the Democrat mayor lost. Many people in Charleston believe leaders told the police to stand down during those riots.

Greenville did better handling the riots than Charleston and Columbia.
The “telling the police to stand down” story has been debunked over and over. That’s not what happened. But public perception can be reality in politics, and enough people believe that story for it to have played a part in the vote totals.

Old 01-21-2024, 04:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
That's 4 more treatments than I have to bother with out here. But I imagine people have to deal with roaches and alligators on the coastal plain?
Oh yes, Palmetto bugs are found in and around palmetto trees and there are far fewer of those trees in the Upstate. One friend on Hilton Head that has bi-monthly treatments for bugs but had a (very small) alligator in her swimming pool! She’s on a golf course and regularly sees them.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:15 AM

12,880 posts, read 18,736,837 times
I’ve lived in Charleston 8 1/2 years and have never seen a palmetto bug inside or outside. Columbia on the other hand…

Old 01-21-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The “telling the police to stand down” story has been debunked over and over. That’s not what happened. But public perception can be reality in politics, and enough people believe that story for it to have played a part in the vote totals.
Business owners on upper King St said it took police over 3 hours to respond to the rioting. King St is the "main street" in Charleston and should be one of the safest urban streets in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina