Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 7,082 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in New Jersey and are looking to start over somewhere. We have two children, ages 4 and 2, I am a teacher, he is a vice principal. First and foremost, we need to find jobs but we don't know where to begin. We are looking for a great family place that is close to major shops and restaurants. In addition, good schools and activities for our children. We just want somewhere nice to raise our children.

Can anyone recommend areas of South Carolina to start searching for a job?

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:16 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
SC has many wonderful places to live, some more welcoming than others. It's important to keep in mind that SC has its own way of doing things, and we are very happy with those ways, even if they seem a little backward to some folks. For many transplants, happiness in this area is often dependent upon their ability to avoid the temptation to point out all the little ways SC could be more like the place they wanted to escape.

If major shops are truly a priority, that would move Greenville and Columbia to the top of the list, with Charleston a possible third. The first two cities also tend to be a little more progressive and diverse than most of SC, if that's important. Since you asked for a recommendation, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Greenville metro area.

Quality of schools vary significantly, even within specific school districts. There are some superb public schools, and some real nightmares. The education job scene is not pretty, with huge budget deficits overriding all other concerns. One of SC's favorite pasttimes is ranting about Federal stimulus money, then depending upon it to finance our state, in lieu of taxing anybody. If you'll Google News for SC teacher cuts, you can get an idea of what the situation is like across the state.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
I'm suprised you stuck Columbia ahead of Charleston when it comes to major shops. Charleston has Apple, Whole Foods, Pottery Barn, J. Crew, etc. like Greenville. Columbia has none of those. I'd put Greenville and Charleston at the top of the list followed by Columbia when it comes to national retail/restaurant offerings but that's just my opinion.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
I'd definitely check out York County, Fort Mill in particular, which is just a stone's throw from Charlotte. It's got some of the best schools in the state and is known as a family friendly area. You'd also probably want to investigate areas like Simpsonville (Greenville area), Irmo (Columbia area), and Summerville (Charleston area).

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm suprised you stuck Columbia ahead of Charleston when it comes to major shops.
I will gladly defer to anyone with more shopping experience, since mine is primarily limited to HomeDepot, Walmart, and Perry's Bait & Tackle.

I guess when I posted, I was thinking ladies' big-name stores. My wife enjoys shopping in Charleston, and whlie there are lots of shops, she complains that too many of them are tourism-oriented. 'Course, her's is just one shopaholic's opinion.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 PM

255 posts, read 610,104 times
SC is facing major budget deficits in the field of education. The state has taken serious budget cuts from education and many districts are having a possiblity of furloughs and pay freeze on teacher pay.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 AM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
njmom44--I ditto what Akenaton said above. Those four suburbs and the surrounding metros are the places I had in mind when I read what you are looking for.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 10,887 times
Goose Creek, SC is where i currently live. Even though i love it to death, Downtown Charleston is the place to be. It has big houses that have been there forever but they still attract tourist to this day. The crime is not as bad as Goose Creek. You can walk out of your home and turn any corner just to find a good place to eat. Downtown also has a magnificent view of beautiful waters. The people are nice and the jobs arent that bad either. Good luck with your move.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 AM

367 posts, read 959,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom44 View Post

....I am a teacher, he is a vice principal. First and foremost, we need to find jobs.....
Before you get in too deep you might want to look at salaries and benefits offered in SC an opposed to NJ. SC doesn't tolerate the kind of extortion the NJEA gets away with here in NJ.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 AM

540 posts, read 1,678,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipnance View Post
I currentlt work in little river with Century 21 and Many folks about 33 percent of folks from New jersey make Little River Home. I will be happy to convey more information on the area too intense to post here you can contact me and I will be happy to help
Too intense? Stop trying to sell real estate and just tell them there's no jobs and they are doing cut backs in schools. My daughter's favorite teacher was laid off and she was devistated. It's simple...Google "Horry County School cutbacks". Plenty of reading material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina