Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times

Advertisements

Jammie, you took the words right out of my mouth. Here, here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
The post of facts by New City V are disagreeable and the pity party of the ills of the Native American poblems are of the tribes own complacency. New City V and the likes of Russell Means feed into the pity party of complacent and bitter Native Americans with a high sense of falsehood and do a disservice to the hardworking Native Americans who show "real" pride for their culture and who want to reconcile their differences with other races and move on. I have to agree with Danny Banany and Jammie. Jammie's last post hit the issue right on the button. There are a number of other tribes such as the Navajo and Cherokee who were also disadvantaged but worked very hard with what they have and show pride.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New City V View Post
http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/october/Siouan.html (broken link)

http://www.nvtc.gov/lotw/months/october/images/DakotaLanguageMap1.png (broken link)
What about the tribes or people who have been in this area before the Siouian migration to this area? Apparantly, the land was someone else's before the Sioux came. Think about it? The Indian Wars of the 1800s are over. Get over it and move on.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 AM

12 posts, read 43,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoods2 View Post
No need to get off your soap box. I grew up hearing stories about Wounded Knee 2. I remember the Whiteclay ralleys and riots in the late 90's, that was one of the few times I remember my father and grandfather keeping loaded guns close at hand.

I have long belived that Mr. Mean was not in it for "his" people, but for himself.

Adam

I'm wondering if Mr Mean is who I think he is? Haven't had the pleasure of meeting him. An activist?? That's what I hear, seen news reports, news paper articles, you tube video's even orderd His Wounded knee documentary/informational DVD.

Not the first time I heard not in for "his" people. This makes me sad.
I wish people would stop hating!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 03:45 AM

I under stand about being a Sovereign nation. The Fedral Government, well, it's the government!

I see the depression and opression happening on the Pine Ridge Reservation, I can even feel it! I know what happened in the past was wrong, I cannot change the past, but I have a voice for the future, the future is still unwritten!! We all have a voice. We have a choice, we can use our voices to build people up and bring them hope, love, encouragement and kindness, or we can use our voice to bring death and destrutction!

I will never use my voice to disgrace another human being, strip them of their culture or identity. I will never feed into hate or spread it or teach it! I will not use my voie for death and destruction. America is a diverse country. We were all created and given the breathe of life. That breathe is the same in all of us.

I pray for the Lakota people daily. I know many others who pray too, praying for people they never even met. This is what Love does. I believe God (Creator) (Great Mystery) has had my path lead to Pine Ridge. A couple years ago I never even heard of Pine Ridge. Now I know and have seen so much, and their is still so much more to learn, so much more to do. I am a voice. I am a person, I have 2 legs and 2 arms. I have skills, I can walk and I can talk. Now, knowing what I know and have seen. Could I turn and walk away? I cannot.

All cultures, all races get dumped on by someone. Wouldn't it be great if we could just all get together and help and fight for each other!?! This would be soooo fantastic all of us side by side- rights & respect for all of us!!! Maybe something of purpose could get done then?!? Floyd Red Crow spoke many times on HUman Rights!! God, I love this man!!! He was an inspiration to people of all colors. Everything he did and spoke of was for people of all colors. The four colors white,black,red, yellow. I miss him, the world misses him.
And I agree we all need to be educated on history, culture, etc... But everyone is a created being. Some how hate breaks people apart and no one wants to step out of their "Comfort zone." I also know many people who have reached out and fought for rights of all people and ALL cultures and races. And then I watch people from their own race and the races/cultures they were fighting for call them names like "Wannabies!"

So, can there be an inbetween? Side A states they want "Rights" they want their culture taught in history, in schools, etc... Movies are made, school curriculm set up, activist traveling from city to city. So then, Group B starts learning history, see's what's happening and tries to make change for the better. Then, Group A yells "Wannabie" and Group B from which you came doesn't like you anymore anyways. So when this happens more and more people are not going to step out of their comfort zone! Why bother?!?

Some activist's really don't want help or to help, they just want to be heard, spread more hate, rant and rave, get noticed!! It is easly to tell who is driven by love and who is driven by hate.

I know there will always be people out there who hate but I know ther are more people out there who can love their neighbor instead of joining "The Haters"
Peace, Prayers, Blessing to all

Old 12-30-2007, 03:57 AM

Hollywood??????

You've got to be kiddin????????

Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Butterfly, who is oppressing the Native Americans today?

The US Gov't does nothing but give them aid, housing, healthcare, and the possibility for a good job. If the Gov't took those things away the Native Americans would actually have to work at making a better life for themselves than just getting one in the mail every week.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Butterfly, who is oppressing the Native Americans today?

The US Gov't does nothing but give them aid, housing, healthcare, and the possibility for a good job. If the Gov't took those things away the Native Americans would actually have to work at making a better life for themselves than just getting one in the mail every week.
Maybe that is what's needed.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM

46 posts, read 116,777 times
What check every week? I (being native)have never received a check every week unless it was a paycheck. What or what do you think you are talking about? Money from the gov. arrives every week in the mail? What is that? Talk about uninformed.
Keep trying to keep people in the dark, huh? May others who view this never know how you truly feel about natives. (can't hide that very well)
The only natives you see would be the ones you rant about, didn't you mother teach you if you can't say anything nice don't say anything. ie: " this is dumb" DannyBanany meaning (my mind is closed and no one will ever change it)
Nothing will ever change with those attitudes! Nice opinion from the moderator too. REAL UNBIASED. That would be my opinion.
will this get posted?!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM

183 posts, read 861,734 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas - Mark Mathews aka Wasaka

Russell Means, who once led an American Indian group in armed rebellion at Wounded Knee, S.D., campaigned against Ron Paul for the Libertarian Party's Presidential nomination back in 1987. It was a heated race and Ron Paul won the nomination. Mr. Means's candidacy was an effort to help the Democratic and Republican parties understand Indian problems better. At least 80 percent of the people on South Dakota's Pine Ridge Indian Reservation are unemployed. The life expectancy is 30 year old (as a result of alcohol related death), the lowest in the world. As I boy I remember going to a wake every weekend, sometimes more than one. That was just "life" (or death) on the res.

I grew up on the "res" and lived only a short distance from Russell Means. In fact, I was there in 1973 when Means led AIM's occupation of Wounded Knee, which became the group's most celebrated action. That is when my family uprooted and moved to Alaska where I spend the next 10 year of my life living in a small Indian village among the Arctic people. I have long been an admirer of Russell Means (even though most of my family didn't like him). Like Russell, I was born and raised on the Pine Ridge Reservation; my Indian name is Wasaka (which is Lakota for "man of courage"). I have always respected Russell Means as Wasaka (literal translation: "tuffy") and looked to him as an example of the kind of man I should become. My wife, close friends, and family don't know me as Mark, to them I am, and always have been Wasaka.

I will be watching this story closely as it unfolds.
Original Post: http:// qurl.com/8hdk7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota