Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:23 PM

20 posts, read 81,199 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about moving to SD, and I've narrowed down considerably where I want to potentially visit to see if I might like living there.

So far, based on what I've read, Huron and Aberdeen look pretty good. I would love to hear from people that actually live in the places I've mentioned.

What I'm looking for is fairly simple:

- Smaller town (under 30,000)
- Stuff for kids in winter and summer
- Variety of jobs available (ones that won't be outsourced to India)
- Hunting and fishing nearby
- High-speed Internet access

I like the looks of Huron and Aberdeen because neither town is right off a major interstate highway. I've become tired of too many people and too much traffic. I'm ready to slow down now that I'm 40.

I'm in IT, but I'm becoming tired of computers as a job. I'm looking to possibly re-invent myself with another career. Any ideas for those areas?

I understand that East River is less expensive to settle in than West River. If this is the case, even better.

Looking forward to your responses...

Last edited by eskape; 01-03-2008 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,711,936 times
I don't live East River so I can't speak for everyone, but all of the towns over there are full of nice, friendly people and they all have great qualities. You may want to reconsider not living near an Interstate or Superhighway though. Traffic anywhere in South Dakota is never bad. It may actually be much more convienient to live near an Interstate or Superhighway because winter roads in South Dakota can be treacherous and Interstates are cleared off better than plain highways.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Hi Eskape and welcome to the forum. I agree with Danny. I wouldn't rule out other cities just because of the interstate being close by. But if those are your two choice, I guess Aberdeen would be the first one I'd concentrate on. I have no firsthand knowledge, but according to local news reports, you may have a better chance of finding employment there.

Where are you relocating from? That may give us a better comparison for us so we can help you better.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Where are you relocating from? That may give us a better comparison for us so we can help you better.
I live right outside Austin, TX.

I'm looking for a small town. I'm tired of living in big cities surrounded by interstate highways. I'm tired of the traffic. I'm looking forward to an idylic, smaller town with nice people, good-paying jobs, and more than anything, a safe place for kids with decent schools.

I'm looking forward to a career change as well. I've been in IT for far too long and it's now become a drag rather than a career. I think I would enjoy working with my hands, maybe in assembly, heating & air conditioning, etc.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskape View Post
I live right outside Austin, TX.

I'm looking for a small town. I'm tired of living in big cities surrounded by interstate highways. I'm tired of the traffic. I'm looking forward to an idylic, smaller town with nice people, good-paying jobs, and more than anything, a safe place for kids with decent schools.

I'm looking forward to a career change as well. I've been in IT for far too long and it's now become a drag rather than a career. I think I would enjoy working with my hands, maybe in assembly, heating & air conditioning, etc.
You really don't understand what traffic is like. In Austin, I've worked there, you have traffic. In South Dakota, there will be two people stopped to say howdie and no body blows their horn. To have a few people using your street is a blessing, not an inconvienience. It's nice to have somebody to rely on. Maybe give a ride because your stuck, maybe give you a pull because your stuck.

It's a whole different mantallity. We take care of our own. That's a big statement. Neighbor is a lot different meaning up here.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You really don't understand what traffic is like. In Austin, I've worked there, you have traffic. In South Dakota, there will be two people stopped to say howdie and no body blows their horn. To have a few people using your street is a blessing, not an inconvienience. It's nice to have somebody to rely on. Maybe give a ride because your stuck, maybe give you a pull because your stuck.

It's a whole different mantallity. We take care of our own. That's a big statement. Neighbor is a lot different meaning up here.

Elkhunter,

What you describe is what I'm looking for -- small town America -- the stuff of John Cougar Mellencamp records (if I can be that sentimental).

Friends and family are what matters in life. In the bigger areas, all I hear people talk about is getting that new Mercedes, the newest big screen TV, me, me, me - gimme, gimme, gimme.

I tired of all that. I want small town values, people that actually care, friends to spend a day fishing with, a town where kids can run around and be kids.

If what I've described sounds like South Dakota, then I'm looking forward to what it offers, both good and bad.

Anyone know what the overall job situation in East River is like, particularly places like Huron and Aberdeen?

Thanks again...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:56 AM

AberdeenNews.com

Plainsman Online

Those are the links to the newspaper from each of the cities you're interested in. I don't read them, but did notice a "Jobs" section in the Aberdeen newspaper.

Oh, since you're from a huge place like Austin, you could even live in the middle of our largest city~Sioux FAlls~ and think you're living in a little town. Their population has just surpassed 150,000.

According to some news reports I've heard, Aberdeen has a lot of employment opportunities. I'm not sure about Huron though.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,493,535 times
emloyment in Huron is hard to come by. Turkey processing plant, is about the only place hiring, right now. There are a few manufacturing places(welding), nursing homes, and the promise of the railroad. The newspaper on line is a poor set up, overall, i think that probably doesn't help Huron's ability to draw new people. Aberdeen is growing, and I love Aberdeen in the summer&early fall, but it get's alot colder up there, in the winter!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
Aberdeen is growing, and I love Aberdeen in the summer&early fall, but it get's alot colder up there, in the winter!!!
Then Aberdeen is the place to check out.

Rapid City is too big, as is Sioux Falls. I never want to live in another city larger than about 35,000 people. I want to wind down, to relax as it were, and just give my family a slower pace of life.

We're looking forward to building snowmen, having four distinct seasons, and everything that goes with that. I want to see small town parades, neighbors being neighbors, church picnics, you name it. All of that here in Texas has become so corporate, so distant, so un-American.

Aberdeen seems to have the jobs in that area, so I'll look at learning more about it.

What can anyone tell me about Aberdeen besides the "it's all light and roses" line the Aberdeen website espouses. All town websites market their own towns to have that "Mayberry" feel, but actually learning things from people who live there (or have lived there) is what counts.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

I don't know if any of our members are from Aberdeen that post here, BUT I believe that a member on the OK forum grew up there. I will contact her and see if there's anything she can answer for you.

All I know is that the economy is booming and it's even colder there then it is here. But I have to agree with Debey~Aberdeen would be my choice of the two. If that isn't the right spot, there are a lot of So. Dak. towns that are under 35,000 that have a low unemployment rate. The town I live in is just a bit over 17,000 and our unemployment rate is 2.3%. There are many just like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota