Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
I know how you feel. I've done nothing but sleep for the past couple days because there's nothing else to do. It's great at first but then you get cabin fever. Actually, there were two stabbings around Rapid City yesterday. They accredited much of the blame to cabin fever and not being able to leave the house! Crazy!
Oh my!!!! That makes me think of "The Shining". Being snowed in and going insane.

I wonder if our crime rates would be higher if we had nice weather year-round? Do you suppose winter/snowstorms deters crime? OR will we all go insane if winter doesn't end soon?

(I know my personal answer to that last question.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 PM

267 posts, read 898,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh my!!!! That makes me think of "The Shining". Being snowed in and going insane.

... OR will we all go insane if winter doesn't end soon?

(I know my personal answer to that last question.)
I know if they were to cancel school tomorrow, I would probably not be the only mom thinking of doing very inappropriate things to the principal . . . I can definitely see how the weather contributes to the crime rate.

Everyone expects it to be miserable during the winter. Then, back the beginning of March, it started to get REALLY nice outside. Your brain just kind of kicks in - WOOHOO spring is here.

Then, you get 3 blizzards dumped on you in 3 weeks, and you realize that mother nature was just messing with your head. Makes it harder to pull the positive attitude back out quite as easily.

I know spring is on its way, I just want to be able to get out and enjoy it. I had some not very nice messages on twitter over the weekend as the snow refused to stop - my account started sounding more positive today, once I could finally see some road through the snow!!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Well, if we had a warm climate we'd probably be more populated. If we were more populated we'd have more people. If we had more people there'd be more crime.

However, look at Minneapolis. It's a large city with a low crime rate. Canadian cities have very low crime rates too. Denver's fairly low too. But then look at Detroit, large city, very cold, a**loads of crime and poverty. Their example may rely more on their situation though. Detroit has been dying for decades.

Guess it depends.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,498,348 times
SDHomesteader.........I don't want to use the "S" (snow) word again, BUT............1/2''an hour?
say it ain't so............

Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
SDHomesteader.........I don't want to use the "S" (snow) word again, BUT............1/2''an hour?
say it ain't so............
WHAT?? Are you guys getting snow again? It's gonna be 82* here today! Just make it all go away by the end of June so I don't have to manage a UHaul in it! I will be just fine come October - I will be ready for it to start snowing by then!

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Unfortunately, there's snow up here again. It snowed quite heavily west of here, too. It looks like southeastern So. Dak. will luck out and just have rain though. Our temps are wild~91 here yesterday and right now it's 45 with a windchill of 37. We're only supposed to hit 59 here today. AND it's much cooler west of here. One hour east~70 degree forecast for the day.

Not an average situation, by any means, but nothing record breaking.

Last year we had a snowstorm the last week in April. The following week the Hills had a snowstorm.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Rapid City hit 86 yesterday and today it's 37 degrees. It's supposed to snow tonight.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Rapid City hit 86 yesterday and today it's 37 degrees. It's supposed to snow tonight.
Aw! Poor Danny! LOL! I remember days like that out there. People always thought I was exaggerating when I said there were days when we went to school in shorts and needed snowpants by the time we got home! I really wasn't kidding!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Aw! Poor Danny! LOL! I remember days like that out there. People always thought I was exaggerating when I said there were days when we went to school in shorts and needed snowpants by the time we got home! I really wasn't kidding!
Yup, we turned the AC on yesterday and this evening we'll turn the furnace back on.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,894 times
yep there are flakes in the air - so much for our 80's yesterday Oh well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota