Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:41 AM

34 posts, read 94,102 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, hope things are well! My wife and I are buying a home in July and we are researching moving companies. We're moving approximately 5 miles or so within Sioux Falls, just curious if anyone has any suggestions on good, reliable moving companies. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Hoping someone can help with this. Has anyone either used or know of someone who has used either, Two guys on the move, mini movers or movin' on out moving companies here in Sioux Falls. So far we've gotten estimates and are curious as to their reputations. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
I'm sorry. We're not ignoring you, but when I moved (which has been years ago), we just loaded up the pickup about 20 times and did it ourselves. I think there are still quite a few people who do it that way rather then professionally. (sp?)Have you considered renting a Uhaul?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbest23 View Post
Hey Everyone, hope things are well! My wife and I are buying a home in July and we are researching moving companies. We're moving approximately 5 miles or so within Sioux Falls, just curious if anyone has any suggestions on good, reliable moving companies. Thanks for any help!
Hi, cbest! Good to hear from you... How are you liking Sioux Falls?

I wish I could help you more... I've never had to use a moving company, so I can't give any recommendations.
Do you have a SF phonebook? I think phonebooks are slowly becoming extinct, with everyone using cell phones!
I looked in the yellow pages... I'll DM you the information!

Old 06-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the comments. Thank You MJ for the listings, I appreciate it! Yeah Jammie, I've thought about a UHaul, but I would have to find people to help with the move, which may be a pain. I think I've decided on a company, but I have to do a little more research. I was hoping that people weren't ignoring me, but the thought did cross my mind. I did figure that it was probably because most people just move themselves. Everyone I've asked has done it themselves too! I wonder how these companies stay in business if most move themselves... Anyway, thanks again everyone for the help. Oh Jammie, I'm liking Sioux Falls more everyday, the people for the most part have been very friendly. I still miss my friends and family back east. I'm also finding things to do. I may start a new thread for stay at home dads soon..

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Thank You MJ for the listings, I appreciate it! Yeah Jammie, I've thought about a UHaul, but I would have to find people to help with the move, which may be a pain. I think I've decided on a company, but I have to do a little more research. I was hoping that people weren't ignoring me, but the thought did cross my mind. I did figure that it was probably because most people just move themselves. Everyone I've asked has done it themselves too! I wonder how these companies stay in business if most move themselves... Anyway, thanks again everyone for the help. Oh Jammie, I'm liking Sioux Falls more everyday, the people for the most part have been very friendly. I still miss my friends and family back east. I'm also finding things to do. I may start a new thread for stay at home dads soon..
You might also call Burns Moving & Storage. Very reputable place that I've dealt with in the past for storing & delivery. Never used them for moving however.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I'm sorry. We're not ignoring you, but when I moved (which has been years ago), we just loaded up the pickup about 20 times and did it ourselves. I think there are still quite a few people who do it that way rather then professionally. (sp?)Have you considered renting a Uhaul?
Done that. When I bought my house I would work evenings. So in the morning I would take a pickup load or two in with me. Would unload, maybe unpack, or paint, do something like that.

I think I only asked for help once or twice. It was mostly a one man show and not a lot of headache.

Or use a horse trailer. First move was a two horse trailer. Subsequent moves have been with a gooseneck stock trailer.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,717,521 times
Usually when we've moved we just get a U-Haul and hire a couple guys from the mission or day labor to help us out. I've only moved in-town before though.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:19 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
When I moved to Pierre from Rapid I would haul whatever I could fit into my S10. Then the big part of the move came and it was horse trailer time.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM

54 posts, read 148,949 times
Quote:
Try united Movers.. or Northamerican Movers. costs about 10k but its worth it if you dont want to do anything. or, if a company is moving you.. united is alright. but i always had a great outcome with northamerican movers. these are national companies. they are more apt to be accountable for broken items. where as the mom and pop ones tend to send blame on those that are not liable, like day labor people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota