Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM

30 posts, read 90,104 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the clarification. As far as receiving less money goes, that would probably be counterbalanced by lower cost of living. You have encouraged me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 AM

8 posts, read 56,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielMM View Post
Hi Tstempert. Thanks for the info.
I am originally from North Idaho, which I left for lack of employment, and thought South Dakota would be close in culture but more flat (I like being able to see long distances without mountains in the way). Also, I want a place with people who are more friendly than those in CA, and with less regulations and taxes.
What exactly is the average pay in Sioux Falls?
I very rarely watch movies and am not going to college, so those wouldn't be a problem.
On sports, I love football and baseball and as I am originally from the Northwest I am a Seattle Seahawks/Seattle Mariners fan. Are there places (such as pizza restaurants) where they play sports on tv's in Sioux Falls?
Thank you for your help.

Well then this will be a great place.. The people here in sioux falls are awsome. Very good people. And there are a lot of bars to go to. I go to Rookies which is by the busy area of Sioux Falls. You can go there and get a drink or two and watch the game. They have Sunday Ticket and I am sure they have mlb extra innings but not too sure. I am a cardinals fan and before I got Direct TV I have to go there every weekend. Its a good place, and it has food also.

The pay is not so good here. I would say in retail your looking at about $8 an hour. But customer service is $10 an hour and up. Even if you do not see jobs posted on Career Builder, check the South Dakota Department of Labor website. And a great idea when you first come got to the temp employment agency. They can find you a job pretty quick and you can work that until you find something better. The ones I have used that seem to get the most jobs are. Kelly Staffing, Key Staffing and there are a few more i can't think of. But you can work with them and it does not cost you anything, just a few minutes to talk with them and they will set you up with a job. Sometimes long term sometimes a few weeks, but let them know what you are looking for. If you want to work at the mall (empire mall) do a google search for them and contact them.

Oh and by the way I miss the mountains.. Hiking, and just the views.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 AM

193 posts, read 677,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstimpert View Post
Hello, I relocated to Sioux Falls From Arizona, my wife is from Los Angeles, and I am not sure why you chose South Dakota but we have not done well. Its very cold, there is nothing to do 6-8 months out of the year. They have 1 real movie theater, 1 trashy theater, and 1 $3 theater. They are building a new one so thats not bad. If you like sports then you will not like it here either. They have minor league teams, but its not the same when you have pro teams to watch before. If you plan on going to college the schools here are very high. Everything in Sioux Falls is private. If you wanted to drive an hour away you can go to USD or SDSU. But the drive will cost you.

WORK: There are jobs here do not let anyone tell you anything but. I see it all over. If you like call center work this is a goldmine city. There are a lot of call cell center jobs here the biggest being CITI bank Wells Fargo, HSBC but trust me there are so many here. Plus there is a mall here so retail is good.

The city is not so bad. If you get past the schools and the low wages you are good. People here are very slow, but safe. They are good people that have good hearts. There is a large population of imagrants moving into the area which gives this city some flavor. I like the fact that you can get from one side of the city to the other in less than 20 minutes. With that the Interstate (freeway) as they call it here is empty so you can go around the small city on it and its faster than driving the city 30 mph.

Anything else you want to know just shout out.
Actually, there is the University Center Campus in Sioux Falls, which is all the state schools combined. You can get several degrees from there, and the campus is brand new on the north side of Sioux Falls. There is also the Washington Pavillion, which offers many types of shows and the discovery center which is pretty neat. The arena also has shows and events often throughout the winter. It's probably not as exciting as things going on in CA or AZ, but it can be interesting, you should check out the events pages at keloland or ksfy, and check the argus online for events as well. There ARE some things to do, it's just a matter of looking for them and paying attention to local ads. But yeah, it's nothing like the bigger cities. I don't live right in Sioux Falls, and sometimes wish I did, because there is even less going on in the communities north of there

Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,716 times
I wonder what a car salesman at a new car dealership could expect to make in Rapid. I want to move there from Omaha and that might be the position I would look. That's what I am doing now.....

Old 08-14-2010, 04:20 PM

19 posts, read 82,204 times
Alot of disagreement with your post. I don't know why you moved to SD if you didn't like the outdoors....I am also curious how you call S. Dakotans slow....nice way of saying stupid or ignorant I suppose... A little geographical knowledge would hint that it is Cold in South Dakota in the winter....Something about northern latitudes.....

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 24,168 times
My wife just recently return from SF on a job interview. (Which she landed) the only thing she didn't care for was the humidity. But we figured with the amount of rain that the area has received, it might be a little higher than past years. It takes approx 2 weeks for the body to fully adjust to a new climate. So we're not worried. I have found many job opennings that fit my back ground on the KELOLAND.com site and the Dakotaroots.com site. The wife loved the city. The people were very friendly and approachable. The city was very easy to navigate through and CLEAN. We are coming from Northern Cali. We were both born and raised in Missouri. So we can't wait to surround ourselves with good people that care about their neighbor and not the size of their house and the new "Benz" sitting in the driveway. Sorry to highjack the thread. Just thought I would share first hand experience.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM

19 posts, read 82,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithstang View Post
My wife just recently return from SF on a job interview. (Which she landed) the only thing she didn't care for was the humidity. But we figured with the amount of rain that the area has received, it might be a little higher than past years. It takes approx 2 weeks for the body to fully adjust to a new climate. So we're not worried. I have found many job opennings that fit my back ground on the KELOLAND.com site and the Dakotaroots.com site. The wife loved the city. The people were very friendly and approachable. The city was very easy to navigate through and CLEAN. We are coming from Northern Cali. We were both born and raised in Missouri. So we can't wait to surround ourselves with good people that care about their neighbor and not the size of their house and the new "Benz" sitting in the driveway. Sorry to highjack the thread. Just thought I would share first hand experience.
You ain't lyin' ...it is humid humid humid As my Sis says "muggy as all get out". BUT for some reason she's lived in SF for over 15 yrs now.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
yeah there's work. I talk to people who lived in other parts of the country and they tell me that we should be happy there is work at all, because most of the country is struggling with unemployment rates of 8% and higher... so when you can walk into a town and get a job within a week or two that's pretty good, which is the case in Brookings, there's a housing shortage though so expect that to take longer then a job would. Houses are overpriced, not much below 100k, better off renting or going the mobile home route, or just going Sioux Falls.

But if I was single and starting over with no job, not trying to support a wife, or I had enough extra money or unemployment to support them a while, I'd try other areas first. Warmer areas, more scenic areas. My job right now, I don't wanna leave, I don't think I'd get another quite so pleasant (temperature controlled, not as fast a work pace as most due to product variety, good sized breaks) and decent paying for a while...

Old 08-22-2010, 09:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlipin View Post
...I am also curious how you call S. Dakotans slow....nice way of saying stupid or ignorant I suppose....
My interpretation was not about the intellect of the people. I immediately thought of a slower-pace of life than CA (particularly in the area of driving vehicles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota