Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Snowball, let's look at this from a little different angle. If you can't see the sun or the other stars while in the near vaccuum of space, then you shouldn't be able to see anything else while in the near vaccuum of space. Explain then how the New Horizons space craft was able to take pictures of Pluto since it took them in the near vaccuum of space.
duh. Pluto and the other celestial objects reflect the "light" from the Sun.
You can see the planets. Such is said in the videos I posted.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
duh. Pluto and the other celestial objects reflect the "light" from the Sun.
You can see the planets. Such is said in the videos I posted.
Snowball, your claim seems to be that in space you can't see the Sun which produces light, but you can see objects which reflect the light that the Sun produces. Does that claim really make sense to you?

Let me show you something. The following video shows not only the sun, but the stars as photographed by the SOHO - Solar and Heliospheric Observatory which is stationed at the L1 (Lagrangian) point. The diagram below shows the various Lagrange points.

The L1 point is about 0.99 Astronomical units (AU's) from the Sun and 0.01 AU's from Earth. It is well outside of Earth's atmosphere.

Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJAcrorHx8I

There are numerous stars visible, including as mentioned 0:38 into the video, the Pleiades star cluster. The claim made by Eric Dollard that you can't see the stars from space simply isn't true. The images from SOHO prove that.

Last edited by Michael Way; 06-17-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-17-2016, 04:18 PM

Those photos are not snapshots, Mike.
They are long-exposures layed over each other, taken with complex spectrometric
filtering equipment that can interpret "light" and heat and radiation outside the visible spectrum.
Not only that complication, but remember that we're also talking about what is inside
the sun. They don't know what's inside it. They don't know if the black spots are holes
or cool spots, as they claim they are.
Allow me to quote Alan Bean:
"I turned to put the Earth and the Sun behind me (this doesn't mean he saw the sun, only that he saw
the Earth illuminated by it) , and looked up again, out to infinity.
The sky was as black and shiny as the patent leather shoes I wore to Sunday School as a boy. [click "show story" on painting 1) ]Alan Bean Art, Alan Bean Astronaut, Alan Bean Moonwalker, Alan Bean Paintings

You can look at all the Apollo photographs and they are all black sky with no sun and no stars.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Those photos are not snapshots, Mike.
They are long-exposures layed over each other, taken with complex spectrometric
filtering equipment that can interpret "light" and heat and radiation outside the visible spectrum.
Not only that complication, but remember that we're also talking about what is inside
the sun. They don't know what's inside it. They don't know if the black spots are holes
or cool spots, as they claim they are.
Allow me to quote Alan Bean:
"I turned to put the Earth and the Sun behind me (this doesn't mean he saw the sun, only that he saw
the Earth illuminated by it) , and looked up again, out to infinity.
The sky was as black and shiny as the patent leather shoes I wore to Sunday School as a boy. [click "show story" on painting 1) ]Alan Bean Art, Alan Bean Astronaut, Alan Bean Moonwalker, Alan Bean Paintings

You can look at all the Apollo photographs and they are all black sky with no sun and no stars.
Snowball, listen and look at the video again. At the beginning of the video the Sun is being seen in the visible light spectrum and so are the stars in the background.

Think!!! Why would you be able to see objects that reflect sunlight but not be able to see the Sun which produces the sunlight?

Old 06-17-2016, 04:43 PM

Neil Armstrong on 25th Anniversary of Apollo 11, speaking of
"parrots", and "truth's protective layers"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxsL6msdwE

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Neil Armstrong on 25th Anniversary of Apollo 11, speaking of
"parrots", and "truth's protective layers"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxsL6msdwE
What's your point? What are you attempting to accomplish with this? Are you a conspiracy theorist?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What's your point? What are you attempting to accomplish with this? Are you a conspiracy theorist?
He's talking about the atmosphere as a protective layer, hiding the truth.
And that he's a parrot. What do parrots do ? Repeat the words of others.

Conspiracies are part of life. Now start over and watch the videos I posted
again. And read what I said over again, because you can't see the stars in
space. Even in this interview, where Armstrong was more nervous and coached,
he says he could only see the "sun" as light reflected in his visor which means
that it was interacting with the glass. He's real careful here, but he does mention
seeing planets, not stars. If you can't see stars, you aren't going to see the sun
as a ball like we see it in the atmosphere either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdcdxvNI1o

Old 06-17-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
He's talking about the atmosphere as a protective layer, hiding the truth.
And that he's a parrot. What do parrots do ? Repeat the words of others.

Conspiracies are part of life. Now start over and watch the videos I posted
again. And read what I said over again, because you can't see the stars in
space. Even in this interview, where Armstrong was more nervous and coached,
he says he could only see the "sun" as light reflected in his visor which means
that it was interacting with the glass. He's real careful here, but he does mention
seeing planets, not stars. If you can't see stars, you aren't going to see the sun
as a ball like we see it in the atmosphere either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdcdxvNI1o
Snowball, the SOHO video I posted proves that you can see the Sun and other stars from space.

And just exactly what is your point with all of this? Assuming for the sake of argument that you can't see the Sun from space, what do you think that means and why do you think it's so important to make this argument?

Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 PM

Astronomer Phil Platt, who worked as part of the Hubble Space Telescope team, says at 1:35 into the video below that you can see stars from the moon, if on the side facing away from the Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XY5ExzlIOY

Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
...you can't see the stars in space...
That's like saying you can't tell whether a flashlight is on or off in space. If you really don't know basic physics, there really isn't any way of presenting information that would have any meaning to you.

I would suggest taking a basic physics course online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space