Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 04:56 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
By going to Mars.

No seriously. Mars already has an atmosphere, albeit a rather thin one. Whereas the Moon has a gravity of 0.16g, Mars has one of 0.37g, so it’s already a lot closer to Earth’s. The only problem here is that Mars is way further out. Venus would have been an ideal candidate at 0.9g, if it’s atmospheric pressure at surface level weren’t 90 times greater then what we have here on Earth or it having an extremely dense atmosphere consisting mostly of carbon dioxide.
The really, really nice thing about an atmosphere - even if you can't breathe it - is that you can aerobrake. Heatshields and parachutes weigh way less than the fuel and engines you'd otherwise need to drag along to kill your speed so you can actually land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 08:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
What do you mean by ‘able to fly there’? The Apollo program already sent astronauts to the Moon over the course of 6 missions.
False!

Old 06-11-2020, 09:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
False!
You believe the moon landings to be fake?

Old 06-17-2020, 01:45 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
False!
Quote:
You believe the moon landings to be fake?
He's posted before. He believes that the Apollo missions to the moon never happened. Such conspiracy theorist nonsense deserves no attention.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident
Mars already has an atmosphere, albeit a rather thin one. Whereas the Moon has a gravity of 0.16g, Mars has one of 0.37g, so it’s already a lot closer to Earth’s. The only problem here is that Mars is way further out.
I cannot see why people continue to make a case for a manned mission to Mars when there is so much more science which needs to be done on the Moon. There must be far more reasons for developing a lunar base than going all the way to Mars - even if it does have more of an atmosphere. The reason that we can get to the Moon in less than 4 days is one extremely good reason when you are developing a space program which potentially is going out into deeper and deeper space. If there was a problem, and there will be problems in any new venture, it is good to know you can at least recover the bodies and maybe, just maybe you can get there in time to do some good to the folks in danger. In the future, we are bound to visit places which have very thin atmosphere or none at all for mining purposes and so the lunar base would help us to gain experience in these environments. In my view, it is difficult to see exactly why we leapfrogged the Moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way
He's posted before. He believes that the Apollo missions to the moon never happened. Such conspiracy theorist nonsense deserves no attention.
Yes, he has posted before and you find conspiracy people like this everywhere in life. They take their beliefs quite as seriously as you do yours. Calling them "nonsense" like this is pompous and unnecessary. All you need to do is ignore his post and that will give him no attention.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:15 AM

144 posts, read 81,083 times
The problem is that things have been too quiet for so many years...
I don't know why they didn't took the decision to make a Moon base, but I have also heard that there is a secret Chinese base on the dark part of the Moon.
Not sure about that anyway, I heard it some time ago so don't take my words as real facts.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:14 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgLaw View Post
I don't know why they didn't took the decision to make a Moon base, but I have also heard that there is a secret Chinese base on the dark part of the Moon.
Not sure about that anyway, I heard it some time ago so don't take my words as real facts.
With all the websites and amateur "space geeks" out there with social media that follow every single rocket launch around the world to the exact second, I would find it hard to believe China or anybody for that matter would be able to pull off building and manning a lunar base on the far side of the moon without anybody knowing, that would be pretty much impossible, in this day and age!

And knowing how bad China wants to show the world their space exploration capabilities, I think they would be bragging pretty hard if they built a lunar base before the US, Russia, Europe ever did, just saying.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:25 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgLaw View Post
How would they expeditiously communicate whatever they are "learning" by being there? (I don't use Facebook. Is that available on the dark side of the moon?)

It took only a little over 50 yrs to go from Kitty Hawk to the Moon...We haven't been back to the moon in 50 yrs....The cost/benefit ratio is just not favorable enough.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:41 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yes, he has posted before and you find conspiracy people like this everywhere in life. They take their beliefs quite as seriously as you do yours. Calling them "nonsense" like this is pompous and unnecessary. All you need to do is ignore his post and that will give him no attention.
To deny that we've gone to the moon when it can be so easily proven that we have is nonsense. Nothing pompous about it. But as you are a bit of a conspiracy theorist yourself, I can see how you might be offended.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
How would they expeditiously communicate whatever they are "learning" by being there? (I don't use Facebook. Is that available on the dark side of the moon?)
The "front" side of the moon is always facing the Earth. With one or two relay satellites at a distance in space
(Lagrange points) on the left and/or the right side of the moon, people on the back side of the moon can communicate with Earth. The signal from the astronauts goes to the communication satellites which beams the signal to the Earth. Communication from Earth to the astronauts works the same way. That's how China is able to communicate and receive signals from their rover on the back side of the moon.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/c...e-of-the-moon/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space