Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 16,044 times

Advertisements

My son is or at least seems to be a very social, outgoing, independent child, but i have a huge fear his is ADD/ADHD. He is having a horrible time in kindergarten..he us unable to focus, or sit still..and is basically in his own world when he is at school. He tells fibs to get out of class, for example to go to the bathroom, or says he is sick to go to the nurse etc. We have already had a few parent / teacher conferences where they have deemed him a disapline problem. I have discussed with his pediatritian several times, that i think he might have a little problem. He is learning fine, and is smart, but he just refuses to focus unless he is in a smaller group when he can be controlled better.

Any help would be appretiated...or doctor recomendations in the North Dallas Area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsmom View Post
My son is or at least seems to be a very social, outgoing, independent child, but i have a huge fear his is ADD/ADHD. He is having a horrible time in kindergarten..he us unable to focus, or sit still..and is basically in his own world when he is at school. He tells fibs to get out of class, for example to go to the bathroom, or says he is sick to go to the nurse etc. We have already had a few parent / teacher conferences where they have deemed him a disapline problem. I have discussed with his pediatritian several times, that i think he might have a little problem. He is learning fine, and is smart, but he just refuses to focus unless he is in a smaller group when he can be controlled better.

Any help would be appretiated...or doctor recomendations in the North Dallas Area???
I would recommend an evaluation from a professional psychologist (can usually be found through a major local hospital). They can determine if this is "normal" behavior, ADHD, or if he has something else going on. Anger, depression, anxiety, learning problems in kids all can manifest like ADHD. Unfortunately, pediatricians aren't well trained in this area, so you really do need to find a psychologist.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:11 AM

96 posts, read 356,741 times
I agree with jessiegirl. Please have your son evaluated by a professional. My six year old son does have ADHD, plus other problems. Once you know what the problem is then you can begin to take steps. Good luck and keep us informed of how it's going.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM

268 posts, read 1,015,063 times
Have him evaluated, but also remember that he is a kindergarten child. Some K kids are just more immature and while they may be learning fine, they are not as able to cope in a structured school setting.

Speaking as a mom who is also a teacher, schools like to push off discipline as ADHD so they can get meds. Weigh all the information you receive before making any medication decisions.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,824 times
I'm having similar problems with my 4 year old, who will be in Kindergarten next year.
So, reading this thread is very helpful to me as well!

My son's attention span is so incredibly short, BUT when he really gets into something it is hard to break his concentration.
He doesn't have big problems at school other than when it is time to sit still. And there are times that he is absolutely SET on doing things HIS way & NOT the teachers' way. Which is embarrasing. Then again he is just 4.
He's my first & only child, so trying to determine what is normal child behavior & what is not gets tricky. So, when I tell myself, "he is just a 4 year old" I don't want to be lying to myself, do other kids do this?

So, I should take him to a psychologist & not a pediatrician?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
I'm having similar problems with my 4 year old, who will be in Kindergarten next year.
So, reading this thread is very helpful to me as well!

My son's attention span is so incredibly short, BUT when he really gets into something it is hard to break his concentration.
He doesn't have big problems at school other than when it is time to sit still. And there are times that he is absolutely SET on doing things HIS way & NOT the teachers' way. Which is embarrasing. Then again he is just 4.
He's my first & only child, so trying to determine what is normal child behavior & what is not gets tricky. So, when I tell myself, "he is just a 4 year old" I don't want to be lying to myself, do other kids do this?

So, I should take him to a psychologist & not a pediatrician?
My definition, ADHD should be persitant and occur in 2 or more environments. I'm not diagnosing your child in any way, but if this rarely happens, then he's probably just being 4. 4 years olds want there way and have trouble sitting still. Do you have other mom's with kids that you see and interact with? Have you talked to the teacher about this? If the teacher doesn't see a problem and it's not really impacting him, then I would just monitor it. If you feel it's a problem, then talk to a psychologist. You can check with your pediatrian, but psychologists really need to do the evaluations.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:31 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
\ 4 years olds want there way and have trouble sitting still. Do you have other mom's with kids that you see and interact with? Have you talked to the teacher about this? If the teacher doesn't see a problem and it's not really impacting him, then I would just monitor it. .
I have one other mom that I have playdates with. I haven't lived in this area long & just started looking into parenting groups like MOPS, etc.
His teacher talks with me weekly about his behavior, those times when he is SET on doing things HIS way. She's been in childcare for over 30 years & I trust her inputs. But never has she mentioned that he might have ADHD/ADD. My son's dad is ADHD & even as an adult I cans still pick up on it at times, but he's mostly grown out of that.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
My sense is, what does dad say about the behavior? Is he concerned it might be? I agree, go with a professional evaluation. If the evaluator says the child is too young to fully evaluate, just take him back in a year or two. In the meantime, look at the teacher, the class size, get him an environment that does match his needs.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
I do recommend having him evaluated by a psychologist. They will assess his academics and other areas. Keep in mind though that in many cases it is simply a matter of maturity for students as young as kindergarten. ADHD is very over diagnosed these days (of course, Dr.'s want their money!) and while it may be the case with your son, it could very well be just that he isn't as socially mature as others his age, and maybe should be held back next year. Since he is a "discipline" problem according to his teachers, it's best to have him evaluated by a professional to be sure there aren't underlying issues.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:09 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamsmom View Post

He's five, for pete's sakes, and they (and you?) expect him to be well-mannered and be able to sit still and concentrate? I think ADD/ADHD is overdiagnosed by parents and teachers who just don't want to deal with a kid that has a lot of energy and intelligence. Sounds to me like he's bored stiff in school, and that's just asking for trouble.

By all means, get him diagnosed if it will make you feel better. But be aware that simply calling him ADD/ADHD doesn't mean he really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children