Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 02:00 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchn View Post
It took me 3 minutes to find this tool:

Census Flows Mapper - Geography - US Census Bureau

Let the ancedotes end and the data analysis begin.
Thanks for the data. Just shows that I'm not completely senile, just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 11:40 PM

206 posts, read 333,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atchn View Post
It took me 3 minutes to find this tool:

[url=http://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/]Census Flows Mapper - Geography - US Census Bureau[/url]

Let the ancedotes end and the data analysis begin.
Per aforementioned site, within the four year length span of 2009 to 2013, only 2250 people from King Co moved to Spokane, which makes up less than 1% of a population comprising over 2 million people. Previously in this thread I questioned validity of statements from a member who allegedly “couldn’t count how many people” he’d met in W. WA who were willing to give it all up to move to move east. Having grown up in King County, my encounters with others expressing interest in E. Wa were rare and fleeing, and primarily limited to folks vacationing in Chelan, etc. and so I found his claims terribly misleading. The stats above bear out the statistical improbability of his claim, especially in light of his relatively short stay in the area. These stats also verify well over ten thousand entities moved into Spokane Co. during the same duration from locations other than Western Washington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I find it interesting that you seem to think you are the only world traveler here. I've also lived all over the country: Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Phoenix. Spent 14 years living in the Priest River/priest Lake area in a cabin we built as a summer cabin and then decided to stay in.
WORLD to mistyriver: the locations you’ve mentioned are all located on one continent, and one country specifically...the United States of America. Travel and residency throughout said locations does not a world traveler make. Your experience is limited to one country, and therefore remains, myopic. You shouldn’t get all defensive when another poster references his/her international travel history as beneficial to readers seeking unbiased commentary.

But for the record, I do think your decade-plus history near Spokane County is of value to certain affluent readers. I say affluent because the rapidly shrinking Middle Class doesn’t necessarily own second homes, boats, or show horses. If I’m deciphering correctly, you haven’t actually LIVED in Spokane County for any significant length of time, save your recent purchase of another home.

I only responded to your last post because you chimed in as a Western Washingtonian, when in fact you’re a North Idaho resident who goes back and forth between multiple residences. [/quote]

Old 12-10-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Previously in this thread I questioned validity of statements from a member who allegedly “couldn’t count how many people” he’d met in W. WA who were willing to give it all up to move to move east.

You shouldn’t get all defensive when another poster references his/her international travel history as beneficial to readers seeking unbiased commentary.
For the second post in three days you are blatantly hypocritical. So, you can pish-posh my experiences as "misleading", but can turn around and chastise MistyRiver for "getting defensive" about the experiences you posted?

Again, do you see the irony?

What aspect of your own little world makes your experience better or more relevant than everyone else's?

Old 12-10-2015, 08:54 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Quote:
Per aforementioned site, within the four year length span of 2009 to 2013, only 2250 people from King Co moved to Spokane, which makes up less than 1% of a population comprising over 2 million people. Previously in this thread I questioned validity of statements from a member who allegedly “couldn’t count how many people” he’d met in W. WA who were willing to give it all up to move to move east. Having grown up in King County, my encounters with others expressing interest in E. Wa were rare and fleeing, and primarily limited to folks vacationing in Chelan, etc. and so I found his claims terribly misleading. The stats above bear out the statistical improbability of his claim, especially in light of his relatively short stay in the area. These stats also verify well over ten thousand entities moved into Spokane Co. during the same duration from locations other than Western Washington.

WORLD to mistyriver: the locations you’ve mentioned are all located on one continent, and one country specifically...the United States of America. Travel and residency throughout said locations does not a world traveler make. Your experience is limited to one country, and therefore remains, myopic. You shouldn’t get all defensive when another poster references his/her international travel history as beneficial to readers seeking unbiased commentary.

But for the record, I do think your decade-plus history near Spokane County is of value to certain affluent readers. I say affluent because the rapidly shrinking Middle Class doesn’t necessarily own second homes, boats, or show horses. If I’m deciphering correctly, you haven’t actually LIVED in Spokane County for any significant length of time, save your recent purchase of another home.

I only responded to your last post because you chimed in as a Western Washingtonian, when in fact you’re a North Idaho resident who goes back and forth between multiple residences.
[/quote]

Those were two different sentences. I have traveled internationally and lived in France for several months.
I wasn't chiming in as a "western Washingtonian". I merely said that I moved here from there, which is the truth and illustrates that people DO in fact want to leave your beloved Puget Sound area to move here.

As far as affluent readers...As I've stated, I lived in northern Idaho for a good while and many, many middle class (and lower) Idahoans have boats and horses. Horses are not hard to do when you live in the country and boats are a dime a dozen there too. As well as on Puget Sound, as you should know.

Again...I'm curious as to why you just don't go live somewhere else? On the other hand, I guess it would be hard to move with that boulder sized chip on your shoulder.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:29 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Aren't we just talking about a small number percentage-wise of western Washingtonians who choose to move to eastern Washington? Wouldn't it seem obvious that the number would be small, anyway? What is the thing to argue about here, anyway?

Sometimes it's not the place that appeals to someone, it's the job they get there. I found eastern Washington to have it's own kind of beauty, on that has some merit. Should have merit to many people. Though I prefer the beauty of western Washington to eastern Washington's, there are some and perhaps many that would steer clear of western Washington. The place is really starting to get crowded and expensive, too. I seriously wonder whether my wife and I will ever return to Washington state to live again, because of said reasons.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Aren't we just talking about a small number percentage-wise of western Washingtonians who choose to move to eastern Washington? Wouldn't it seem obvious that the number would be small, anyway? What is the thing to argue about here, anyway?

Sometimes it's not the place that appeals to someone, it's the job they get there. I found eastern Washington to have it's own kind of beauty, on that has some merit. Should have merit to many people. Though I prefer the beauty of western Washington to eastern Washington's, there are some and perhaps many that would steer clear of western Washington. The place is really starting to get crowded and expensive, too. I seriously wonder whether my wife and I will ever return to Washington state to live again, because of said reasons.
You're right - I'm not really sure how this became an argument. I guess I started it by making the comment that I met people in Western WA who wanted to move to Eastern WA. Apparently, someone took offense to my experience, for some reason, even though the data posted earlier supports it...

Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 AM

206 posts, read 333,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Aren't we just talking about a small number percentage-wise of western Washingtonians who choose to move to eastern Washington? Wouldn't it seem obvious that the number would be small, anyway? What is the thing to argue about here, anyway? Sometimes it's not the place that appeals to someone, it's the job they get there.
On point as always, elkotronics! The percentage of people moving from Western to Eastern WA remains minuscule as evidenced by previously posted census data and personal observations of people who aren’t trying to sell real estate or other business in Spokane. People earning bank in progressive metropolises like Seattle have little incentive to move to areas that remain economically/culturally depressed in comparison and with corrupt city officials to boot. But King County is a nightmare where traffic’s concerned and the high paying jobs also drive up housing costs, so I totally get where you’re coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Those were two different sentences. I have traveled internationally and lived in France for several months. I wasn't chiming in as a "western Washingtonian". I merely said that I moved here from there, which is the truth and illustrates that people DO in fact want to leave your beloved Puget Sound area to move here.

As far as affluent readers...As I've stated, I lived in northern Idaho
Uhh…unclear what you mean by “two sentences,” and I saw no reference of international travel let alone France in your first statement. Are you suggesting I missed data that didn't exist in your first post…lol? For the record, I’d think no less of you or your posts if you hadn’t been around the World. I only mention my own travel history because I feel it renders me qualified to offer commentary of a more objective nature than folks who have never lived anywhere but Washington, Idaho, or the US. It doesn’t mean it’s “better” than yours or others obviously $invested in this area ...just refreshingly different, and of special interest to outsiders seeking unbiased commentary on this area from someone who’s not out to make a buck at their expense.

If your Inland NW experience were limited to but one of the following I’d likely qualify you as Middle Class. But you are or have been invested in all four of the following in the recent past:
- Show Horses,
- Multiple property ownership (including rental property),
- Ssecond homes
- Boats (I’m assuming we’re not talking canoes here)
...so the probability you’re an affluent land owner seems high.

Not sure if you were among the lynch mob chronically badgering me in earlier threads. At the time, inflameatory slurs regurtitated from trolls apparently threatened by my presence were common. “Where do you live?” was the m.o. at the time, which has since devolved to, “Why don’t you go live somewhere else if you don’t love it here?” Both sentiments are decidedly fascist and un-American.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:48 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Hee-heee-haa-haaa...keep it up. Am I reading Arizona Cardinal fan quotes on Facebook slamming the Seahawks, or, am I really just on city-data reading in the city-data Washington state threads? Wow - btw, sports fans, wanna know an area and team that really hates Seattle and the Seahawks? Answer: Arizona. They've somehow managed ta get to 11-2 this season and yes, one of those victories was over Seattle's Seahawks. Wanna know something else? Answer: the Arizona Cardinals struggled to beat the Minnesota Vikings at Glendale last night 23-20. Seattle just beat Minnesota last week, at Minnesota, 38-7. The Seahawks with their 7-5 record are playing better football than the Cardinals 11-2 team right now, which is what really matters. Whoop it up, Arizona, your time to lose is nigh. Jump! I'm off my sports soap box.

But this little thread is unusual - is all that's going on here is real estate sales? Love of eastern Warshington - don't dare put it down, or what? Why the personal attacks going on here? Are they made up? Or justified? Should someone be sending someone else on city-data an online Snicker's bar to apologize for their rude behavior? Behaviour in Canadian version? Fess up in all honesty, posters!

Old 12-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
so your claim you encountered "countless" people during a short stay who were willing to forsake high income and breathtaking scenery to move here is questionable, at best.
Quote:
Not sure if you were among the lynch mob chronically badgering me in earlier threads. At the time, inflameatory slurs regurtitated from trolls apparently threatened by my presence were common. “Where do you live?” was the m.o. at the time, which has since devolved to, “Why don’t you go live somewhere else if you don’t love it here?” Both sentiments are decidedly fascist and un-American.
Don't act like you are completely innocent. Remember, in this thread, you started the whole argument. Not my fault if multiple people disagree with you.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:45 AM

49 posts, read 81,676 times
Jem, you seem to have a lot of hate and anger pent up. I won't ask you where you live because frankly, I don't care. However, you always come across as a subjective, ranting, selective data grabbing troll yourself, so I thought you calling others out for being un-American and fascist was quite ironic and hyper hypocritical. You must be a Liberal, that explains the brain damage you clearly display every time you type your hatred on here, the good thing is you leave no doubt who the village is looking for when they state "village idiot missing"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area