Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM

95 posts, read 416,850 times

Advertisements

We've recently moved to the Tri-Cities after a year of being in Bend, Oregon. Bend was very beautiful and we loved it in every way besides the economy that's in free fall. I'm an architect and the Tri-Cities hasn't been hit as hard by the bad economy in other places. Don't know if the Tri-Cities will only be a stepping stone or if we'll stay for the next 40 years. I'm making a trip to Spokane next week but will only be able to look around while I'm in and out of town in a flash. How does Spokane compare with the Tri-Cities? I expect it to be prettier of course. How are/is (compared to the Tri-Cities and Bend)?:
  • people?
  • economy?
  • weather?
  • cost of living?
  • any industry in Spokane?
  • neighboring nice places?
  • pet-friendly?
  • any building going on?
Thanks for all your input in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
I think it's like comparing apples to oranges to pears. Each is unique and different from the other.
1. People--I never found a great deal of difference in the people--seems like more Californians in Bend, more of a Hispanic presence in Tri-Cities, and more natives in Spokane, although there are people there from everywhere as well.
2. Historically, Tri-Cities and followed more of a boom/bust cycle following the trends at Hanford, although this has been mitigated a great deal over the last 15 years or so. Bend had the big boom during the last 20-30 years or so, with the big downturn over the last couple of years. Spokane generally seems to avoid the big swings in the economy which is good and bad, depending upon the time. Spokane seems to have a disproportionate number of businesses for a city it's size, due primarily to it's development as a service/retail center for a large region. Spokane's economy may not be so strong as Tri-Cities currently.
3. Spokane is more like Bend than Tri-Cities weather-wise...not as hot in the summer.
4. I found the Bend area a little more expensive to live, especially the housing costs. I think Spokane and TC would be fairly equivalent.
5. //www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...e-Economy.html
6. Shoot, IMO, pretty much all of the Spokane neighboring places are nice, some very nice. A lot of folks like the Couer d'Alene and Hayden Lake areas of north Idaho (long commute, but it's done); there are a lot of neighboring towns where you can get that small-town feel while still being convenient to a larger city, particularly on the west, south and north sides.
7. Sure as friendly as any place. Spokane is the only town where I saw an indoor "doggie gym" last winter...I don't know how to judge a comparison here.
8. Always, but not sure on what scale/type you're talking about. Hasn't it about stopped in Bend?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM

199 posts, read 543,203 times
I've lived in Spokane and Bend and this is my summary of both.
1. People - More conservative in Spokane then Bend. Bend has a large California population. I made more friends while in Bend then I have here but Spokane still has some nice people.
2. Economy - Reason I left Bend. I worked at Bachelor but it was for fun mostly. Spokane has more jobs but larger population.
http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=...nit=M&tlen=237
3. Weather - Bend has more sunny days and it's warmer. The negative wind chill only happened in the mountains. I just wish Spokane would get some snow already.
4. Cost of living - Bend is way higher. Off memory the avg home costs around 300K in Bend and 150K in Spokane.
5. Industry - Not really sure but I think Health Care is big in both Bend and Spokane.
6. Spokane and Bend are similar because both have mountains close by. I think nature is closer in Bend but only because the city is much smaller.
7. Bend is dog central. When I left they were planning more dog parks and people were pretty tolerant of off-leash dogs. I haven't had much issue in Spokane either. The state line park is about the same as the Bend dog park. Both are average when compared to the park in SLC. The park there was the nicest I've been to because it was so big. Redmond near Bend also had the dog pool day which was pretty cool. There was a dog that would jump off the 10 ft high diving board. Ruff wear is made in Bend. Bend wins this category but Spokane isn't that bad.
8. Construction is down everywhere. That's about all I know.

I think Bend has a closer relation to CDA. Both places have a mill district shopping area and are more tourist oriented. I knew someone from Bend that vacationed in CDA.

I like Spokane and Bend and would start a family in both areas. I would choose Bend over Spokane but it's not a realistic goal for me. The economy is really bad in Bend right now. The costs of homes has dropped but that doesn't matter if you can't find a job. I guess it's still cheap if you are used to a .5 million dollar small California home.

Last edited by Specialbuddy; 12-11-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Oi, Specialbuddy, be careful what you wish for, if you get snow in Spokane like last year, that will "give you satisfy" I gaur-ran-tee.

I have to agree that each city is quite different. I like to visit Spokane occasionally, but wouldn't particularly want to live there.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 PM

199 posts, read 543,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Oi, Specialbuddy, be careful what you wish for, if you get snow in Spokane like last year, that will "give you satisfy" I gaur-ran-tee.

I have to agree that each city is quite different. I like to visit Spokane occasionally, but wouldn't particularly want to live there.
I'm ready for any kind of weather. Spokane gets around 50 inches a year from what I have read. I'm used to 200 inches a year so it doesn't bother me. Although I did like living in Bend last winter because the snow rarely stayed around longer then a day but the ski resort still got 500 inches and it was only 30 minutes from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area