Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 01:11 PM

38 posts, read 120,364 times

Advertisements

Okay, having read this entire thread... which took a while, I admit, I will share that I am glad I didn't read it BEFORE deciding to move to Spokane. Now that the decision has been made, and the move will take place in two weeks' time, I am hoping to meet the more positive of the folks who post here.

Good grief! I can't decide whether the negative posts are trolls, or people who don't want more neighbors. If it IS that bad, why are you still there? If it isn't, what is your point?

I am a woman, I prefer men with beards (though admit I much prefer well-maintained, trimmed beards without food drippings in them). I have been to various places on the planet, and I am a political independent. I don't want any "party" telling me how to think, or vote. I READ, and I THINK, then I decide for myself. I am polite. I drive an older car, haven't been in any sort of auto incident since living outside Filthadelphia, where flipping people "the bird" and trashy foul mouths are almost the norm (but there were still positive things, even there, though I don't want to move back).

The only real concern I have is about street maintenance and driving on ice. I don't mind snow, and I can catch a bus, but I don't own snow tires, which don't do much for ice, anyway... can anyone talk about winter driving in town? Will be living south end, near Regal and 57th street, so South Hill is probably an exaggeration. I am over 50, and don't have long gray hair, but if I did, it would be clean, and my choice. I noted an Albertson's (never have shopped there). What about farmer's markets, and a food co-op or other places for fresh veggies that haven't been trucked 1000 miles? I don't mind Trader Joes but not for every day, and Costco's is a place to buy more than you need, in ridiculous amounts. BTW, I am educated, though I am lower income at present. My programming jobs have all gone overseas. Now I spin wool into yarn, and teach spinning and weaving, which seems like useful stuff to do in cold weather!

Thanks. Oh. My car is a small, pre-scandal year, VW diesel, 50 mpg... and doesn't belch black smoke. But am I going to have emissions issues there? (coming back to WA from Oregon, where it has not been an issue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Again we are faced with the tragedy of Pumpkin Spice Latte overdose -- a burgeoning affliction, thus far largely confined to that portion of the distaff side with five bucks to burn. Only the presence of Y chromosomes and the unwillingness to part with a five-spot keeps yours truly from going down that winding, voluble road...for which I can only thank a merciful providence and my own penury.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:17 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Again we are faced with the tragedy of Pumpkin Spice Latte overdose -- a burgeoning affliction, thus far largely confined to that portion of the distaff side with five bucks to burn. Only the presence of Y chromosomes and the unwillingness to part with a five-spot keeps yours truly from going down that winding, voluble road...for which I can only thank a merciful providence and my own penury.
Geez, Yel. You are usually quirky, but this time I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Geez, Yel. You are usually quirky, but this time I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.
Sorry. I was commenting on the previous goofy post from Wandering Foot. The lady who likes beards, hates driving on ice, and shops at Trader Joes and Costco. I mean -- TMI much?

On the other hand, at least we know her age, her address, and what kind of car she drives.

And jeez, she's gonna be close to my neighborhood, along with the couple thousand or so other people with similar life-views.

Forewarned is forearmed, I guess. She just better watch out for a Brad Pitt lookalike driving a blood-red Lamborghini Countach in the vicinity of Gordy's Szechuan restaurant,

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-11-2015 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sorry. I was commenting on the previous goofy post from Wandering Foot. The lady who likes beards, hates driving on ice, and shops at Trader Joes and Costco. I mean -- TMI much?

On the other hand, at least we know her age, her address, and what kind of car she drives.

And jeez, she's gonna be close to my neighborhood, along with the couple thousand or so other people with similar life-views.

Forewarned is forearmed, I guess. She just better watch out for a Brad Pitt lookalike driving a blood-red Lamborghini Countach in the vicinity of Gordy's Szechuan restaurant,
I love Gordy's. I'll make my son park his 1994 Mazda 626 next the 'Tach...hope they like black rusted quarter panel racing "stripes"

Old 10-14-2015, 07:14 AM

152 posts, read 366,832 times
Wandering Foot please remember to use more yarn, as there are calves the size of watermelons with tats that need warming.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:50 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I love Gordy's. I'll make my son park his 1994 Mazda 626 next the 'Tach...hope they like black rusted quarter panel racing "stripes"

Finally started going to Gordy's last month (we lived in northern ID and never managed to make it) and we love it. SO GOOD. We're closing on a house in the Rockwood neighborhood next week. We had moved to Anacortes but were just too danged far from our new grandson who lives on the South Hill. And our daughter and son-in-law.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Finally started going to Gordy's last month (we lived in northern ID and never managed to make it) and we love it. SO GOOD. We're closing on a house in the Rockwood neighborhood next week. We had moved to Anacortes but were just too danged far from our new grandson who lives on the South Hill. And our daughter and son-in-law.
So that's why you're moving to Spokane! Congrats and good luck!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:29 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Bing Crosby is from there, how bad can Spokane be?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:34 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Bing Crosby is from there, how bad can Spokane be?

I've lived in or in the burbs of lots of big cities (Boston, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc) and it may be because I've lived outside Spokane for so long (14 years) in the wilds of the Priest Lake area that I like Spokane. It's not so big that I can't get out of it and into the country in any direction in 10 minutes or so, the traffic is laughably minimal, the people are pretty friendly and the South Hill neighborhoods are lovely. Looking at a gazillion old homes in the fall has been a really enjoyable experience.

Being in Anacortes right now and having to brave Seattle and Everett traffic and the seething hordes of humanity and cars just makes Spokane that much more appealing to us. It's not glitzy or hip but it's homey and I really like that about Spokane.

Plus my new grandson is the cutest dang baby ever. Any city that he lives in would be attractive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area