Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

74 posts, read 236,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbytes View Post
Team,

As a Californian, I can REALLY understand and sympathize with your view that outsiders are taking over some of the best parts of your community. I love the rural areas and it saddens me to see it swallowed up by development.

Unfortunately, we in Cali have been dealing with that same dynamic for decades as hordes of both legal and illegal Latin Americans and Asians have truly changed California into something far different than most of us remember. While there may be many new and exciting restaurant choices and other positives with the influx, many of us are still feeling pushed out of our beloved Golden State as the quality of life rapidly deteriorates due to an exploding population, nightmare traffic conditions, property prices soaring to stratospheric heights, dramatically deteriorating schools and crime risk an everyday reality.

Global overpopulation is an undeniable fact of life and the resulting changes are driving immigration from all around the globe, through Cali and on into the less populated and more affordable areas of America (including yours). Without a national will to curb illegal immigration, it's actually more like an unstoppable tidal wave.

But you might consider looking at the bright side and realize that the people selling the $3 million dollar homes and moving to your town are most likely coming from a higher socio-economic strata than what they are fleeing (in terms of education, capital to invest in their new community, cultural awareness and willingness/ability to positively impact their new area).

It really could be FAR worse for you (and much closer to the average Californian experience) if you were getting the less desirable aspects of immigration. Consider what it might be like to have unbridled population growth resulting in a replication of the barrios of L.A., legendary traffic snarls, State mandated documents printed in dozens of non-English languages, exponential increases in welfare spending that would make your head spin, gangs and violent crime on a scale that you've never imagined.... I could go on and on but I think you see where I'm coming from.

Population increases always bring challenges. But the bottom line is that most California refugees are NOT carpetbaggers. They are predominantly families and retirees who simply want a better life for themselves and their children and want to CONTRIBUTE something positive to their new communities. Because of our rich and varied experiences, there are opportunities to help our new neighbors combat the problems of poor planning with regard to growth/sprawl, transportation infrastructure issues and much, much more. We're not looking to recreate the same problems that we are fleeing (though that can invariably happen at times with rapid influx). Some of us will bring new businesses and jobs, gentrify and upgrade properties, open interesting new restaurants, bring fresh viewpoints and ideas that just MIGHT add to your culture and quality of life.

For the couple considering a move from Portland (if you're still thinking about it), my sense from several visits to Spokane was that a fair percentage of the upgrades happening in the downtown area are either inspired or directly financed by people from Portland, Seattle and California. The changes seem very positive as capital gradually flows in, though property crime and a "poverty consciousness" seems to pervade the area (relative to much of America). Spokane is truly a beautiful area in terms of easy access to lakes, forests and the great outdoors. I wish you the best in your decision...
Goodbytes,

I enjoyed your post and agree with everything you've written. I try to understand why people get upset because others (foreigners) if you will; move to their city. Which by the way isn't THEIRS. I'm coming from Florida and hope to move out west sometime next year.

People have been coming to Florida every since I was could remember. Considering I'm a native of Mississippi, I didn't have a choice as a child to move to Florida, parents decided that one.

Be that as it may people, it's what makes the world go around. Of course 'FREEDOM' to move for those of us who want to move to better place. A majority of us want a nice place to live and be at peace. No matter what skin color, culture, or nationality we all want the same thing.

I hope when I move that I would meet some really nice people who would welcome me instead of disliking/hating me because I took up a small fraction of space in their community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 11:06 AM

231 posts, read 1,081,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Funny you should bring up the arena. I still lived there when it opened. I voted for it as a matter of fact.
They should have built it larger. It seats just under 13,000 now. They could have built it to seat 18,000 and gotten even more business. It's the only city in a wide area that can support a large arena, yet built it to smaller standards. That's what I meant by saying Spokane could be so much more.

I also believe the Gorge Amphitheater did more to get Spokane noticed than the Spokane Arena did.
The arena replaced an old coliseum that held around 6,000. The current size is about right for the Spokane market and more than doubled the capacity of the old venue. The arena is also capable of being expanded with additional seats when needed. If you compare it to Key Arena or the Rose Garden on a per capita basis it actually holds up quite well.

I'm not sure about the Gorge getting Spokane noticed. The Gorge is 2 hours from Spokane in the middle of the state. I suppose if someone heading there wouldn't have otherwise driven through on I-90 but I don't think it had a big impact on Spokane although I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
It's a small arena and it's cheaper to rent than arenas in other cities. Plus, televised events like smaller venues. They sell out easier. Sold out seats equal full seats and that looks good on TV.
This theory isn't really supported by the past locations of the event. If they preferred smaller cities, that doesn't seem to square with where they have held it in the past. The 2009 championships will be held in Cleveland. The NCAA men's basketball tournament doesn't have a hard time moving tickets either. Sure, Spokane is helped by being in the west but compared to the other cities selected to host in 2010 (Providence, New Orleans, San Jose, Buffalo, Jacksonville and Oklahoma City) Spokane is by far the smallest (same was true in 1997).

The above is partially beside the point, however, because even if these events prefer smaller arenas and smaller cities (which doesn't seem to be the case) the fact is Spokane is seeking out and landing these events. If Spokane had given up, you wouldn't see it try and host national scale events. Instead, the organizers would choose other small markets.

Again, this is only a microcosm for the area as a whole and there are still some in Spokane who hold a status quo mentality. That, in my opinion, has been changing slowly and for the better and continues to do so.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 74,810 times
chiaroscuro reigns supreme. wow.

no, really, thank you.

i'm a 25 year old single female with a cat looking to come out West. not sure where...been checking out OR, ID, and WA for awhile now. i can't stand living without mountains and wilderness any longer.

what are my odds? just me and the cat looking to relocate...i have over 5 years admin/office management under my belt and am currently the fleet manager at MillerCoors. some years of college, no degree...but hopefully one day i'll accomplish that.

i already would have a quasi-acquaintance who might hopefully get me in touch with a few people she's known over the years. but i can't count on that.

would i find it difficult to make a home for myself?

i appreciate all your info in advance!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 AM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
You know I gotta ask just to clarify...is that Blondes not Bombs OR Blonde snot Bombs? Great name either way!
Okay, now that I've aquainted you with my sense of humor...welcome to the forum.
Have we heard from Chiaroscoro lately? His wife probably finally figured out how much time he was really spending blogging.
:~) D

Last edited by Deena160; 08-12-2008 at 05:31 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 09:02 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
LOL - you crack me up Deena! good thing I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that post!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:16 AM

15 posts, read 74,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deena160 View Post
You know I gotta ask just to clarify...is that Blondes not Bombs OR Blonde snot Bombs? Great name either way!
Okay, now that I've aquainted you with my sense of humor...welcome to the forum.
Have we heard from Chiaroscoro lately? His wife probably finally figured out how much time he was really spending blogging.
:~) D
haha! you know, i never paid any attention that it could be broken down to include "snot" but that's awesome!

it's blondes not bombs...from the song Ladies of the World by Flight of the Conchords.

"redheads not warheads...blondes not bombs...i'm talkin' bout, brunettes not fighter jets!"

thanks for the welcome!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:44 PM

18 posts, read 76,859 times
I don't understand all the belly aching I live in Dallas and hate the rat race, everyone is out for a buck and everything costs so much to do its no fun. A stars game or Mavericks game for a family of 4 costs hundreds of dollars with parking and food and drinks I wont even go unless someone gives me fee tickets and then I still spend a mint just on food and drinks. I much prefer your slower pace of life and am very jelous you have it and don't appreciate it. The grass is always greener my friends!

Traffic is such a pain, we are so spread out you have to drive over an hour just to go any where that's not in your immediate area and that's with little traffic and no wrecks which there are always wrecks to get in the way. You live here a while and you will want to go back to Spokane believe me.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar08 View Post
The grass is always greener my friends!
Yeeeeup. :~) D

Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM

17 posts, read 52,989 times
My DH and I got OUT of Spokane this past Jan! Just in time, from what I heard through the grape vine about this past winter. We lived in Spokane for 2 yrs in the Medical Lake area. My DH was raised in Anaconda Mt., and he couldn't even handle the winters.If your coming from a sunny state do yourself a favor and get a light therapy lamp as soon as possible. Spokane has a very negative vibe to it.Its very depressing. And I have driven all over this country, and Europe. And they have the worst drivers anywhere I have driven, 3 accidents (their fault!) in 2 years. I had a friend who was the manager at the Star Bucks in Airway Heights. Her DH and her children moved to Spokane from Las Vegas. They couldn't stand it either, her husband had a heck of a time finding a job because the employers tend to choose friends and family over transplants. They bailed after 2 yrs to Hilton Head, SC. The restaurants arn't very good at all. And good luck finding good chinese food, you'll have to go to Tacoma or Seattle(civilization) for that. Yes it is beautiful and the summers are beautiful, but if you don't like to be cold don't move to Spokane! And people will tell you that it's more sunny in eastern Washington, maybe to some degree. But their are times that you don't see the sun for WEEKS at a time! I also had a friend who worked at the pharmacy on Fairchild AFB, and she said she had never seen so many people on antidepressants in all of her life. I'm sorry about being so negative about it, but I feel I have to warn people. You have to make your own decision, on Spokane. By the way, we are MUCH happier where we live now. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 14,696 times
I am curious I live in Orange County, California. My daughter who is attending a local community college to earn her AA so she can move on to Nursing school and her boyfriend are planning to move to Spokane. She to further her education. Her boyfriend is certified in air conditioning/heating and is also certified in auto mechanics. She also has experience in admin assistant/reception/customer service. My question is about employment.... is there any? and wages? Can someone give me a clue to employment possibilities and wages? Also can you give me a ball park range on rentals and pricing? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area