Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM

965 posts, read 4,503,170 times

Advertisements

Heidi-ho!

I know football, basketball, baseball, and hockey are considered sports, but what is the game of billiards considered to be? I would eventually like to learn how to play billiards, and if I had questions, where would I post them - on the "Other Topics" board or here? I searched the word "billiards" on the Sports board, but got no hits.

Are billiards, fly fishing, and bowling considered past times and not sports?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 PM

536 posts, read 1,194,087 times
well in my opinion i dont consider them sports cause u dont have to have any athletic abilities to really do those, i mean i have an uncle who is 250 lbs and so out of shape but is one of best billiards players in our county and won tons of tourney, but in no way is he an athlete. so i would consider them past times, although they do require a ton of skill which the ordinary person dont have, so they still earn a certain amount of respect.

i love watching billiards on espn.. those players are amazing!!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkjetsfan74 View Post
well in my opinion i dont consider them sports cause u dont have to have any athletic abilities to really do those, i mean i have an uncle who is 250 lbs and so out of shape but is one of best billiards players in our county and won tons of tourney, but in no way is he an athlete. so i would consider them past times, although they do require a ton of skill which the ordinary person dont have, so they still earn a certain amount of respect.

i love watching billiards on espn.. those players are amazing!!
Okay, thanks!!! Hmmmm, a skilled activity rather than a sport. I'll keep that in mind. Wow, your uncle's the man!

Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
I would call it a competition, but not a sport. Sports require athletic ability, as newyorkjetsfan pointed out. Billiards is a great game though.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I would call it a competition, but not a sport. Sports require athletic ability, as newyorkjetsfan pointed out. Billiards is a great game though.
Thanks much!

Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,219,628 times
Let's see ... billiards requires a knowledge of rules, a deft touch, superior hand-eye coordination, strategy, tactics, analytical skills, mastered use of the tools of the game, and an ability to deal with some amount of uncertainty in the game, right?

Other than requring less physical strength and brute force ... what separates that activity from something you're considering as a "real" sport?

How about an archer? try shooting a few dozen arrows with accuracy in a tournament ....

Or a fly-fisherman? Is he less an athlete than a big-game fisherman grinding away on a big Senator reel for hours?

Or a recreational hiker? I know some folks who hike fourteener's at a pace that is past breathtaking for normal people at altitude .... and can do several peaks in a day.

Or a recreational bicyclist? I know a whole bunch I used to try to keep up with who were just short of Olympic level riders ... but rode only for their own pleasure and exercise, or to pace with olympians ....

Or a recreational skier ... who just happens to favor deep powder and steep slopes?

Or a recreational SCUBA diver who does 100'+ reef or wreck diving?

I believe all of these activities (just a few examples, there's surely many many more) require some "athletic ability".

Perhaps you only consider a real "sport" something that is a "pro" team effort?
I'd disagree .....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:40 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,964 times
I'm sick of these conversations about "what is and isnt a sport"- does the term even matter? Billiards is what it is. Just like any other activity. Golf is golf, bowling is bowling, car racing is car racing, you get the idea. No need to argue over a label.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,940,740 times
Believe me, I'm not putting the game of billiards down. It does require all of those things sunspirit brought up. I guess it could be considered "sport" but not "a sport" if that makes any sense. I just consider "a sport" to be something with athletes involved, and when I think of athletes I think of physical stamina and strength. But hey, I've been wrong 17 billion other times, just my opinion.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:46 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,126,152 times
I define a sport in part as an activity where the participant needs to perform "on demand". And it usually involves a physical challenge to some degree. That's why I would consider a race car driver, a hunter, a bowler, competition shooting, yes, even fly fishing to be sporting activities. It can be either a man vs. man or a man vs. nature activity, but as I mentioned, there is a need to physically perform on demand. If the sportsman can't perform the task at the moment performance is required, then he fails to succeed and/or loses the competition.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:09 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Heidi-ho!

I know football, basketball, baseball, and hockey are considered sports, but what is the game of billiards considered to be? I would eventually like to learn how to play billiards, and if I had questions, where would I post them - on the "Other Topics" board or here? I searched the word "billiards" on the Sports board, but got no hits.

Are billiards, fly fishing, and bowling considered past times and not sports?

Thank you.
I consider billiards as a pasttime. I love playing pool and I had never considered it a sport. Well, I've always played for fun anyway. I'm never serious about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports