Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2021, 03:51 PM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
That, and also that America is more attune to a "sport" like golf - A.K.A men in ugly pants, walking.
Or riding carts, helped along by caddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 09:58 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Tennis used to be extremely popular in Australia, but is much less so these days. Many homes in the cities had tennis courts, most of which have disappeared because of the value of the land. Sundays used to be very quiet here, with almost all shops closed and not much to do (always been quite a secular country) but tennis was one available activity.
Having said this, the current saga involving the Australian Open and Djokovic is the only topic of conversation today.,and a nice distraction from Omicron.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:01 AM

509 posts, read 782,612 times
I thought tennis was popular. I didn't know it wasn't in the USA.
I mean, it's what, 5th or 6th?

football
baseball
basketball
hockey
soccer
golf
tennis?
MMA
boxing
nascar

Something like that.
I think there are just too many options out there though.

Plus you got college sports.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:15 AM

35,074 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
I thought tennis was popular. I didn't know it wasn't in the USA.
I mean, it's what, 5th or 6th?

football
baseball
basketball
hockey
soccer
golf
tennis?
MMA
boxing
nascar

Something like that.
I think there are just too many options out there though.

Plus you got college sports.
I wonder where it ranks in participation. I assume those are spectator statistics.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:45 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
This is gonna be a kind of drive by post.

Tennis was popular when the 'stars' were fun to watch. The competition was ruthless and engaging. I recall Johnny Mac, Vlad (Lendl), JC (Conners), among others... Everett, Navaratola, Billie Jean (King) etc

Now there's the Williams sisters ... and that's it, and it's boringly passive.

... just sayin'

Your post doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:07 PM

10,765 posts, read 4,349,095 times
I'm not sure about TV ratings, plus a lot of people use live internet streaming instead of TV to watch tennis, but the US Open tennis has never been more popular than it was in 2019....
Quote:
Rafael Nadal and Daniil Medvedev's instant classic US Open final helped the season's fourth major set a new attendance mark this year. A record 737,872 fans strolled through the gates in New York, about 5,000 more than last year, to break the prior record of 732,663.

In total, during the past three weeks, 853,227 people attended the tournament, including the US Open Fan Week, which includes qualifying matches.

Nadal beat Medvedev in the five-set final that lasted four hours, 49 minutes to win his 19th major title and second of the season.
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nada...endance-record

Old 01-16-2022, 04:24 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I'm not sure about TV ratings, plus a lot of people use live internet streaming instead of TV to watch tennis, but the US Open tennis has never been more popular than it was in 2019....

If you haven't already been there, you should try to get to the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, Rhode Island :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...s_Hall_of_Fame

I didn't get a chance to when I was there (It's still on my bucket list) but, in addition to visiting the Hall, you can play on a court there (rent court time).

COVID may have affected both playing and just visiting at all but, if so, I hope that that is a temporary situation.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:21 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post

Streaming, by far, is the best way to watch tennis. The thing is, it's an individual sports with several matches going on simultaneously. So live TV would have to just air select matches only or switch from match to match, which is even more annoying. With streaming, you get to select which court you want to watch, either live or on demand. It's pretty cool!

Old 01-18-2022, 03:03 PM

509 posts, read 782,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I wonder where it ranks in participation. I assume those are spectator statistics.
good point. It's probably higher in terms of participation for adults. But for kids I think baseball, soccer, etc are probably higher.

Old 01-20-2022, 04:58 PM

77 posts, read 35,358 times
any sport that requires patience strategy and brains that ios hard to figure out it is not popular in usa. only sport popular here are he has 3 chances to hit the ball, he is got three down to move the chains, he is got a 24 seconds to score or ball goes back to other team. simple rules for even kindergarden kids to understand. while tennis it is like to american is like what is he doing should he hit the ball hard not slice it and have games of nerves back and forth with safe shoots untill somebody makes mistake. it is basically that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports