Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Youre the first person I have ever seen say that, it makes more sense than the usual "soccer is too slow" comments people usually give.

Soccer isnt hundreds of game, 30+ it usually taps out at domestically.
Good point but 30 is still about twice that of football. I tried to get into the other sports but I just could not. I don't hate them and in the major leagues if Colorado does good I do pay attention when they are in the playoffs and the same is true for CSU Pueblo. However overall I just don't enjoy myself at those games or watching it on television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 04:47 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,217,320 times
You caught us, its all a scam.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
American football used to be a sport. But it has been wussified to the point where it is almost no longer recognizable. The average soccer player is now, by far, tougher than the average quarterback. I saw penalties called over the weekend for pushing the QB out of bounds too roughly when HE WAS STILL IN BOUNDS.
"Wussified"?

Seriously?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,857,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Then why wouldn't you have just called it "football" like most Americans? Usually (because we're not used to calling soccer "football" and rarely have any familiarity with the very different Australian football or the almost similar Canadian football) we don't call it "American" football, only foreigners often do to distinguish/not confuse it with soccer. But I do understand if by that you meant you're a foreigner who's lived here a few years and are a naturalized citizen or close to, I'm not meaning by this to say that you are not "American" because if that is the case you are.
I'm American with British parents.

I've always called soccer "football". That's the name of the sport. I've never understood why American football is called football.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,091,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

I've always called soccer "football". That's the name of the sport. I've never understood why American football is called football.
Don't the Brits call soccer, soccer? Your parents are probably wondering; "blimey love, where did we go astray?"

Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,776,170 times
Quote:
I watched a little American football today. This is what I saw: lots of commercials. Lots and Lots.
There were 10 other games on. Grab the remote and flip those channels. For NFL, check out the Redzone channel.

It is just called 'football' btw. We in America know the difference between football and 'dive grass' (aka soccer).

Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,540,143 times
Quote:
nonsense

PBS has no commercials

HBO, Showtime etc

A soccer match has no commercials

I could go on.
PBS actually has real commercials, too... they're just more subtle than the ones on other networks, and they don't interrupt the shows. (I am excluding the pledge drives from that statement.) Typically there will be one or more major sponsor for a program. Masterpiece is currently running a Ralph Lauren bit before each episode. Home Depot sponsors This Old House.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,923,904 times
Quote:

Oh good lord, not THIS again....

The American/Canadian game is called "football" because it took elements from the original football (soccer) and people just chose to keep the name around as it gained popularity. And by the way, the word "soccer" was created by the BRITISH in the first place in a short to the word Association or "Assoccer"/

What I don't get is why people continuously make a big fuss out of the name of a sport. Seriously, WHY DO YOU CARE?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:48 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,935,878 times
I can't believe this thread is still going on... I haven't read anything else since page 1 but I'm going to guess it's turned into a full blown argument at this point.

No point in arguing... the OP clearly has an opinion about US Pro Football and that's fine.. he's entitled.. but the fact that this thread is still carrying on and open is pointless.

He asked if American Football is a sport... the answer is simply yes... case closed.

American football - definition of American football by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

American football
n 1. (Team Sports / American Football) a team game similar to rugby, with 11 players on each side. Forward passing is allowed and planned strategies and formations for play are decided during the course of the game

End of Thread...

Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,569,809 times
Not really, it stops approximately every 5 seconds. I'd call it a part-time sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports