Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,136,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think all of them are from Fiji.
IN THE WINTER BOBSLED RACES, there was a country, Fiji I think, that imported people from other countries to race for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,292,370 times
This is why I love the Olympics so much - sportsmanship

https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/stat...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I actually cheer for other countries that win the Gold Medal, it's nice to see another country winning gold medals for a change, if your in the USA do you ever hope the other country wins?

Cheering for another country to win is different from cheering for a winner, regardless of his or her country of origin.

We get the picture, though. You're implying that it's jingoistic for Americans to root for their own athletes. I'm guessing that this odd view does not apply to other countries rooting for theirs.

BTW, in case you haven't guessed, I'm rooting for Americans. And I really appreciate how the commentators point out just where the Americans are on the track and swimming lanes.

Just as competitors obviously want to win, themselves, with few exceptions the "losers" congratulate the winners in sportsmanlike fashion; so, too, do viewers at home.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,493,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I actually cheer for other countries that win the Gold Medal, it's nice to see another country winning gold medals for a change, if your in the USA do you ever hope the other country wins?
I cheer for the athlete, not the country.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,737,329 times
It is stupid to say "it is nice to see another country winning for a change", as if the US wins the majority of medals.

In 2012, the US won only 10.7% of the total medals, or 1 in every 9, or 15.3% of golds, or 1 in every 6. Both are smaller than the US economy as a share of the world total (22.3%, or $1 in every $4.5). I don't use population % because poor countries can't afford to train athletes like the US does.

Last edited by botticelli; 08-16-2016 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:59 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
I'm happy for anyone who wins a medal. These folks have worked their whole lives for this. I say good for them! I don't care what country they're from. They're working like dogs for this.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:08 PM

50,876 posts, read 36,563,313 times
I usually pull for the Americans, especially in gymnastics, swimming and beach volleyball. That said, there are other athletes I root for, usually if they have an interesting back story or have overcome hardship. For instance I would love to see someone from the Refugee team win a medal, and I was feeling bad that a week in Brazil was still empty handed. I loved seeing those 2 Brazilian gymnasts win medals, the guy who won Bronze cried and it was very emotional. I also of course root for Usain Bolt in track even when he's racing against Americans, because I like to see someone accomplish great things (like being the first person to win Gold in the 100 meter in 3 straight Olympics) and because I just like him as a personality. I don't think "for a change" is any of the reasons though, it was not that long ago that Russia and Romania were dominant in womens' gymnastics, and the mens team hasn't been really competitive for quite some time. It seems to me to be mainly swimming that the Americans are totally dominating.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-16-2016 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM

7 posts, read 6,972 times
Smile Yup Yup!

When Team USA isn't competing, I'll cheer on our close allies like Great Britain, Canada, France, ect.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:25 PM

308 posts, read 237,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I usually pull for the Americans, especially in gymnastics, swimming and beach volleyball. That said, there are other athletes I root for, usually if they have an interesting back story or have overcome hardship. For instance I would love to see someone from the Refugee team win a medal, and I was feeling bad that a week in Brazil was still empty handed. I loved seeing those 2 Brazilian gymnasts win medals, the guy who won Bronze cried and it was very emotional. I also of course root for Usain Bolt in track even when he's racing against Americans, because I like to see someone accomplish great things (like being the first person to win Gold in the 100 meter in 3 straight Olympics) and because I just like him as a personality. I don't think "for a change" is any of the reasons though, it was not that long ago that Russia and Romania were dominant in womens' gymnastics, and the mens team hasn't been really competitive for quite some time. It seems to me to be mainly swimming that the Americans are totally dominating.

Brazil now have a gold in the mens Pole Vault.Thats more than Canada achieved in the 1976 Olympics in Montreal where they became the first and so far only team to not win a gold while hosting the Olympics.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,695,541 times
I'd bet my house that there are quite a few folks on here that wouldn't dare be caught rooting for the athlete of a country that is deemed an 'enemy' of the U.S.

I, fortunately, don't engage in such petty politics.

Nationality doesn't mean jack to me, as long as the athlete is someone I enjoy watching. Now, if such athlete made derogatory statements about others, then yes, that would be a consideration. But that's on the individual.

Iran has many great weightlifters as an example that I enjoy watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports