Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

I don't think traditional TV ratings factor in the other methods of distribution like online streaming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 05:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
ESPN is only available on pay cable & satellite. With streaming video, people are ditching that service. I'm one of those. I ditched cable. I have a big Blu Ray collection and stream Amazon prime. I watch my NFL team over the air. I stopped watching my local MLB and NBA teams because they're only on cable.

I have a vacation home with Comcast as part of the condo fee. I can stream ESPN to my iPhone or to my Plasma using HDMI from my laptop but I don't do it very often.

The thing I miss most is English Premier League on weekend mornings when the weather is lousy and I'm not outside. That's not ESPN but it's the cable thing I used to flip on on weekends to start the morning with a cup of coffee.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:55 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,017 times
they are too politically liberal.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:50 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Do people paying to watch a game really want to pay to be overtly and subliminally lectured to on tangent subjects? Maybe they can offer a type of "CSPAN" for sports; just show the game...for an extra fee, of course.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Hostile to white people

Old 09-17-2017, 10:50 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
ESPN decided to promote a political agenda at a time when cable cutting is growing and people have more options to view media. Someone at ESPN should have been fired and it wasn't the on air talent.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:39 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Content and the Internet.

First content. By overpaying for game rights they've had to reduce costs for remaining programming. The quick and easy fix? Talking heads. So rather than air "Wide World of Sports" type events to fill the time between major games they went cheap and lazy. You could argue "SportsCenter", something of a defining feature of ESPN, was talking heads but it was a well produced news program, which leads to point #2 the Internet.

Nobody needs an appointment TV broadcast to now see scores and highlights. Done. *poof*
Growing irrelevant is not the way to make your business thrive.

BTW - I would invite you folks who seem to cling to the "liberal political" jive to point your browsers to Deadspin. They just published a number of pages from the ESPN internal employee comment board. They are anything but sympathetic lefties. For every on-air talent voicing whatever it is you seem to find objectionable, there are 100's of accountants, technicians, IT geeks, and office drones that, if the Deadspin leaks are true, feel otherwise. Point being, like any large company there are going to be a wide range of opinions. It's foolish to paint with a broad brush.

Last edited by take57; 09-17-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 12:56 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
ESPN is only available on pay cable & satellite. With streaming video, people are ditching that service. I'm one of those. I ditched cable. I have a big Blu Ray collection and stream Amazon prime. I watch my NFL team over the air. I stopped watching my local MLB and NBA teams because they're only on cable.
The Sling TV "Orange" Package ($20/month) includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, and 28 other "cable" channels, including CNN, AMC, History Channel, BBC America, AMC, Disney, A&E, IFC, TBS, TNT, and more. 7-day free trial.

The Sports Extra Package ($5/month) includes Pac-12 Networks (all six regional networks), ESPN/SEC Network, ESPN/SEC+ Network, ESPNU, ESPNews, ACC Network, Stadium1/2/3 (prev. Campus insiders), NBA TV, NFL Network, NHL Network, and more. Many channels provide on-demand programming. Cloud DVR ($5/month) allows you to record and watch programs/games later.

Pay two months in advance and get a free Roku Streaming Stick or a Roku Premiere+ for $49.99: https://www.sling.com/devices/roku

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...on-with-video/

https://www.sling.com/

Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I know that I switched off the Chargers Broncos game way early because I couldn't stand the play-by-play. Worst announcer (Mowins) I've ever heard call a football game.
I can't stand Mowins either. Mowins is awful as a play by play announcer. You know? I bet it would have been fun listening to Frank Gifford, Don Meredith, and Howard Cosell all over again if I would have watched reruns of MNF.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:05 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,393,373 times
I think ESPN has become too political which is why their ratings are down. They gotta stop talking about politics if they only want to air sports. It is a SPORTS network and NOT a POLITICAL network because they are NOT FOX NEWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports