Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:56 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
What do you guys think about skip Bayless?
Annoying. Now he's got a show on FS1 with Shannon Sharpe. Sharpe is annoying too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

oh to have a team like gifford, meredith, and cosell in the booth again. talk about a dream team, that one was it.
And maybe also too, Rbohm; Al, Frank, and Dan, AKA Al Michaels, Frank Gifford, and Dan Dierdorf.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:28 PM

Also, John Saunders was a guy I really liked. He did college football pregame shows for ABC and also did NBA studio shows for both ABC and ESPN. I've always liked Saunders. I still miss him. I also miss Stuart Scott who also did NBA pregame shows on ESPN and ABC and did MNF pregame shows onsite.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Because most of the good commentators are idiots, and there isn't enough good sports on it. Too many other options.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:09 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times
I'm sure it's been mentioned here as I mentioned MLB Network earlier. But I'm sure the NFL Network is taking away peoples interest too. In fact the internet probably is too. People can get their information much easier by just following a facebook page.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:22 AM

939 posts, read 506,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
What do you guys think about skip Bayless?
That is a loaded question I would assume.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:45 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I never understood why a lot of people these days hate ESPN. I don't mind it, I have no problem with ESPN.
It's supposed to be a SPORTS network. They're off in left field with their PC politics. People do NOT tune in a SPORTS network to listen to ill-informed propaganda.

Very simple. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:24 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,082 times
I cut cable earlier this year, but I stopped ESPN a long time ago. A bigger problem is PAYING for cable TV and being bombarded with commercials. This abuse has gone on too long. You wanna broadcast for free, then show commercials. If I'm paying for it, then I don't want to see it. Some movie theaters are starting to do this and it pisses me off.

Most of these were probably mentioned.

-Fired the unique and funny talent that made ESPN worth watching
-Got Disneyfied...hire boring generic robotic "talent", become too PC, report on non-sports nonsense
-They don't show NHL hockey highlights, because they had a spat with the NHL
-NBA 24/7 in the winter....meh..I hate the NBA and all the man-child drama that comes with it these days
-Contrived controversy (not just ESPN...EVERYWHERE) for ratings
-Politics
-This Kaepernick stuff never ends...before that it was Tebow. Considering all the domestic abuse, murders and other crimes in the NFL, if these guys could start, they would be playing. The only people who care are SJW who don't understand football. (this isn't just ESPN either...but we only have a handful of media conglomerates).
-Who else remembers the Mani Teo catfish story (Notre dame)? Really...that was the last straw.
-Even football has gotten too big, too long, too slow, too boring, too commercialized, too prima donna
-Pre-game shows are too much, too long
-Forcefully diversifying to have more women or minority commentators, regardless of ability/talent "just because"
-More prime time games means less quality. Who wants to watch Detroit vs Cleveland.
-Tired of hearing about whining millionaires in any sport
-Free agency has kinda ruined sports in some ways
-Fantasy sports are annoying. I immediately click if they even mention it. Who's got time for that ****. Another concept ruining sports.
-They spend more time talking about salaries/contracts and off-field antics than the actual games. zzzzz
-The endless rumor mill and Monday am QB of sports talk. Tail is wagging the dog.

I played sports most of my life and it's getting old. I still enjoy The Masters, Wimbledon, the US Opens and British opens in Golf/tennis. I might watch Baseball playoffs, but I no longer watch much (and I played baseball). I watch NHL. Games are done in 2-2.5 hours, unless they are on NBC..then it's too many commercials.

Disney ruins everything they touch.
Bring back the George Michael Sports machine.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
I cut cable earlier this year, but I stopped ESPN a long time ago. A bigger problem is PAYING for cable TV and being bombarded with commercials. This abuse has gone on too long. You wanna broadcast for free, then show commercials. If I'm paying for it, then I don't want to see it. Some movie theaters are starting to do this and it pisses me off.

Most of these were probably mentioned.

-Fired the unique and funny talent that made ESPN worth watching
-Got Disneyfied...hire boring generic robotic "talent", become too PC, report on non-sports nonsense
-They don't show NHL hockey highlights, because they had a spat with the NHL
-NBA 24/7 in the winter....meh..I hate the NBA and all the man-child drama that comes with it these days
-Contrived controversy (not just ESPN...EVERYWHERE) for ratings
-Politics
-This Kaepernick stuff never ends...before that it was Tebow. Considering all the domestic abuse, murders and other crimes in the NFL, if these guys could start, they would be playing. The only people who care are SJW who don't understand football. (this isn't just ESPN either...but we only have a handful of media conglomerates).
-Who else remembers the Mani Teo catfish story (Notre dame)? Really...that was the last straw.
-Even football has gotten too big, too long, too slow, too boring, too commercialized, too prima donna
-Pre-game shows are too much, too long
-Forcefully diversifying to have more women or minority commentators, regardless of ability/talent "just because"
-More prime time games means less quality. Who wants to watch Detroit vs Cleveland.
-Tired of hearing about whining millionaires in any sport
-Free agency has kinda ruined sports in some ways
-Fantasy sports are annoying. I immediately click if they even mention it. Who's got time for that ****. Another concept ruining sports.
-They spend more time talking about salaries/contracts and off-field antics than the actual games. zzzzz
-The endless rumor mill and Monday am QB of sports talk. Tail is wagging the dog.

I played sports most of my life and it's getting old. I still enjoy The Masters, Wimbledon, the US Opens and British opens in Golf/tennis. I might watch Baseball playoffs, but I no longer watch much (and I played baseball). I watch NHL. Games are done in 2-2.5 hours, unless they are on NBC..then it's too many commercials.

Disney ruins everything they touch.
Bring back the George Michael Sports machine.
One comment on your post regarding your Kaepernick comment. I too am a former athlete and coach. In fact I earned most of my living in Baseball. When it comes to other sports I always go by what the insiders say. After all they are the experts and there have been plenty of NFL insiders that say Kap belongs in the league, or at least should of been given a shot to earn a roster spot. When a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady says it they mean it, regardless as to what the Jason Whitlocks of the media have to say claiming they only say it because they are put on the spot.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:54 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
One comment on your post regarding your Kaepernick comment. I too am a former athlete and coach. In fact I earned most of my living in Baseball. When it comes to other sports I always go by what the insiders say. After all they are the experts and there have been plenty of NFL insiders that say Kap belongs in the league, or at least should of been given a shot to earn a roster spot. When a guy like Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady says it they mean it, regardless as to what the Jason Whitlocks of the media have to say claiming they only say it because they are put on the spot.

I don't know if they mean it or not....they are not going to say anything negative about a former player in the NFL because they don't want the negative publicity.

So they have 2 choices, say something nice or say something negative and get the media backlash which they don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports