Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 02:35 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyslm View Post
with cord cutting and all that and less people watching sports talk shows espn is in trouble, but what could make them even more in trouble would be corporations coming and realizing we do not gain anything by having omercials at nba or nfl or mlb games that is billions lost in revenue. then they would not be just cutting stars but tv contracts for nfl nba and mlb
They are owned by Disney and Disney is cleaning out anyone who is even slightly Christian or who doesn't toe the line on transgender, gay and other progressive issues.

We have watched nearly every 'College Game Day' broadcast since 1995 or so. Now with Pat McAfee being one of the main guys I may not even bother with it.

Last edited by grampaTom; 07-19-2023 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 03:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
They are owned by Disney and Disney is cleaning out anyone who is even slightly Christian or who doesn't toe the line on transgender, gay and other progressive issues.

We have watched nearly every 'College Game Day' broadcast since 1995 or so. Now with Pat McAfee being one of the main guys I may not even bother with it.
That is not true at all. They basically cut a combined 30 mil in salary and are brining on a new lone 20 mil in salary. A guy (McAfee) that will make them a lot of money.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:55 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That is not true at all. They basically cut a combined 30 mil in salary and are brining on a new lone 20 mil in salary. A guy (McAfee) that will make them a lot of money.
This coming from a guy who thinks Pat McAfee is the best sports guy out there

Old 07-20-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
This coming from a guy who thinks Pat McAfee is the best sports guy out there
Best sports media guy. He provides a "no holes barred" locker-room perspective.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
lol guy is so annoying sounds like drunk. do americans really care and are obsesed with locker room talk that much. was not there a talk from nfl to have locker room camera after the game to see what they do.that is like voyeurism lol
There is a reason why McAfee scored the big bucks. Up next at ESPN will be Shannon Sharpe. That will put ESPN over what they saved by those they cut.

Old 07-23-2023, 04:00 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:

Eh, it would be illegal to fire people for their religious beliefs - do you have any data that shows this to be the case? And I am not a McAfee fan, but I don't think he is gay or transgender.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:18 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Quote:
lol you really thing people who watched pat mchafee for free will not pay 100 bucksofr espn+ or 80 dollars a month for cable lol nobody is that stupid
McAfee is an idiot. I wouldn't pay $1 to watch him.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
McAfee is an idiot. I wouldn't pay $1 to watch him.
I am curious as to why you do not like him? Is it mostly him on College Football Game Day?

Old 07-31-2023, 03:16 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Mark Jackson is out. Doris Burke & Doc Rivers to join Mike Breen as ESPN's "A" team for the NBA.

ESPN’s NBA succession plan: Hiring Doc Rivers, laying off Mark Jackson and promoting Doris Burke

The list...
  • Suzy Kolber
  • Mark Jackson
  • Steve Young
  • Max Kellerman
  • Keyshawn Johnson
  • Jeff Van Gundy
  • Jalen Rose
  • Todd McShay
  • Matt Hasselbeck
  • David Pollack
  • Andre Ward
  • Doug Kezirian
  • Ashley Brewer
  • Joon Lee
  • LaPhonso Ellis
  • Nick Friedell
  • Jordan Cornette
  • Gene Wojciechowski
  • Jason Fitz
  • Bomani Jones (contract likely will not be renewed)

Old 08-06-2023, 12:34 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Unless they become European soccer fanatics with longer attention spans, I don’t think the public will demand we go away from TV ad interruptions any time soon. So for now, that revenue stream will be safe.
Raises hand.

I watched Blackburn Rovers-West Brom on ESPN+ yesterday. It’s the Brit Sky TV feed so no US presence at all other than some technician in Bristol CT keeping an eye on the feed. I just renewed my annual subscription. I’m a cord cutter. I don’t ever watch ESPN. At 5am, I was watching the Peacock Spanish feed of USA-Sweden Women’s World Cup with the volume muted. I have an annual subscription for that for English Premier League.

Other than my NFL team, I’ve completely ditched US professional sports. I can’t stand all the commercial breaks. Between the 8 CBS games on Paramount Plus, 1 on Amazon Prime, and 1 on NBC on Peacock, I should have access to around 10 of the 17 NFL games I care about. I can NFL+ the rest on my 12.9” iPad Pro.

I used to watch ESPN talking heads 30 years ago. I totally shifted to things without commercials 15 years ago other than sports and I’ve subsequently weaned myself off of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports