Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And how much of this comes as a surprise to anyone? Please tell me the last Olympics when some nation or other wasn't cheating. And if it isn't a national team, its the officiating being biased. For that matter, what happened to their rule that 39 countries have to participate in a sport before it can be considered for the Games? I dare anyone to list the 39 countries where "synchronized swimming" is a participation sport. Yet there are well over 39 countries where they play baseball...and that sport still doesn't have full Olympic status.

The IOC is a joke, and has been for decades. What's strange is that nobody seems to be able to do anything about them.
Who is motivated?

Attack the IOC, your country will not be awarded the Olympics.

A losing team?

The IOC holds all the cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:28 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,766 times
here's a nice little quote out of the article that was on CNN today reporting that a professional hacker has found proof that at least one of the Chinese gymnasts is underage...

"Just nine months before the Olympics, the Chinese government’s Xinhua news agency gave He’s age as 13. "

I wanted to post the link to the entire article, but was unable...
anyone else willing to??

Old 08-21-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
here's a nice little quote out of the article that was on CNN today reporting that a professional hacker has found proof that at least one of the Chinese gymnasts is underage...

"Just nine months before the Olympics, the Chinese government’s Xinhua news agency gave He’s age as 13. "

I wanted to post the link to the entire article, but was unable...
anyone else willing to??
Here you go
Chinese news service cited gymnast as 13 - 2008 Olympics - SI.com

Old 08-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Thanks!!!!

Hey! I read today on CNN.COM this evening that....

"Olympic Officials Launch Probe Into Chinese Gymnast's Age"

HORRAAYY!!!!

although, i feel for the little ones....im sure they were just doing what they were told to. Poor kids.. And even if they do find proof, and take away/give the medals, it really will tarnish the win and they dont get the official ceremony or that glory.....
cheating sucks.
Tiffany

Old 08-21-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!!!

Hey! I read today on CNN.COM this evening that....

"Olympic Officials Launch Probe Into Chinese Gymnast's Age"

HORRAAYY!!!!

although, i feel for the little ones....im sure they were just doing what they were told to. Poor kids.. And even if they do find proof, and take away/give the medals, it really will tarnish the win and they dont get the official ceremony or that glory.....
cheating sucks.
Tiffany
Hey

Please don't put the cart before the horse.

My wife is Chinese as am I. She is very slim. She said she was very much like the larger ones when she was 16. But my wife is 5ft 3in. The pic does look bad. But it was meant to.

I am glad there is an IOC inquiry. Better now than having a cloud hanging forever. If they are cleared or not, there will be closure.

Yes cheating sucks, but wishing bad things on anyone also sucks.

I hope everyone is cleared. That way no one of any consequence is hurt.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:40 AM

My MIL and SIL are both from Vietnam. And verrrrryyy teeny tiny. My SIL is almost 30yrs old and often times is mistaken for the JR High girls she teaches. I have also myself, coached Chinese gymnasts so Im very aware they are typically much smaller than most other nationalities. But Im not going by how they look. Im going by how old previous competition documents listed them as. National sports registry and biographies listed by their own government and sports bodies. What I think is upsetting, is one meet or another, their age has been falsified. Even if its just a smaller international meet, cheating is cheating. And if its been brought to the Olympics again, even worse.
Im not wishing bad things on anyone.
I just want it cleared up beyond any reasonable doubt. And whats sad, is no matter what , this will define this paticular Olympic games for the gymnast. well, this and the outragous scoring that went on....but thats a whole different thread....
Tiffany

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
My MIL and SIL are both from Vietnam. And verrrrryyy teeny tiny. My SIL is almost 30yrs old and often times is mistaken for the JR High girls she teaches. I have also myself, coached Chinese gymnasts so Im very aware they are typically much smaller than most other nationalities. But Im not going by how they look. Im going by how old previous competition documents listed them as. National sports registry and biographies listed by their own government and sports bodies. What I think is upsetting, is one meet or another, their age has been falsified. Even if its just a smaller international meet, cheating is cheating. And if its been brought to the Olympics again, even worse.
Im not wishing bad things on anyone.
I just want it cleared up beyond any reasonable doubt. And whats sad, is no matter what , this will define this paticular Olympic games for the gymnast. well, this and the outragous scoring that went on....but thats a whole different thread....
Tiffany
Here are links to my friend's son who is on the USA fencing team. Can someone tell me how tall he is?

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...inhardt/221357

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/oly...io/221357.html

Old 08-22-2008, 09:22 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,948 times
So how does a Chinese beach volleyball player get to be 6'3"?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
So how does a Chinese beach volleyball player get to be 6'3"?
I am Chinese American and I am 6'3"

What is your point?

Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
And Yao Ming is how tall??? Chinese people come in all shapes and sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports