Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:38 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I went to the first round of the US Open Thursday, followed Lexi's group - couldn't believe how empty the grounds felt - not a lot of people as you'd expect - I went to the men's US Open at Pinehurst several years back and even the practice rounds were more crowded than then first round of the womens event.....visited ESPN this a.m. and not surprised not a single word about the women's tourney on their opening page --- the sport is really hurting. What Haney said was offensive to many but on target - no one knows these players because they're Asians who have very similar names and many don't speak fluent English to know much about them. I think if the leaders were European that there'd be a little more interest. I know it's all a racist POV. As for Haney - he makes his living talking about golf - you'd think he'd know a few of the players on the LPGA - I watched from start to finish yesterday on Fox. THought it was interesting golf. Plan on watching Fox again today since I'm no longer in Charleston, otherwise, I would have gone out there to see. It was an interesting venue. But it felt like I was at a college golf event - nothing like a regular PGA event where you had a ton of grandstands, marshals, concessions, etc etc.
That's kind of sad.

I like watching the women (for more reason than one ) - you can learn from them because they aren't all bombing it 400 yards off the tee.

This should be probably the biggest event of the year for the women. I had it on for a little while yesterday but now that I'm a home owner my hours really are precious at this point.

I will tune in today though, time permitting.

As far as the Asians go...didn't a female say something similar some years back? I can't remember, but it was very similar (the Asians have taken over the LPGA) type of deal.

Simply put: the other ladies (outside of Asia) need to get their stuff together - play better, practice harder, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 12:01 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
I honestly haven't watched much LPGA for awhile so I'm kind of surprised not to see many of the familiar names I knew like Suzanne Pettersen, Brittany Lincicome ----I guess some have become moms or recently delivered and are off the tour. Would like to see some of those familiar names from the past. Noticed even Karrie Webb and Laura Davies were playing - their days long gone by.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:25 PM

And what happened to Paula Creamer?

Old 06-02-2019, 12:36 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
I went to the first round of the US Open Thursday, followed Lexi's group - couldn't believe how empty the grounds felt - not a lot of people as you'd expect - I went to the men's US Open at Pinehurst several years back and even the practice rounds were more crowded than then first round of the womens event.....visited ESPN this a.m. and not surprised not a single word about the women's tourney on their opening page --- the sport is really hurting. What Haney said was offensive to many but on target - no one knows these players because they're Asians who have very similar names and many don't speak fluent English to know much about them. I think if the leaders were European that there'd be a little more interest. I know it's all a racist POV. As for Haney - he makes his living talking about golf - you'd think he'd know a few of the players on the LPGA - I watched from start to finish yesterday on Fox. THought it was interesting golf. Plan on watching Fox again today since I'm no longer in Charleston, otherwise, I would have gone out there to see. It was an interesting venue. But it felt like I was at a college golf event - nothing like a regular PGA event where you had a ton of grandstands, marshals, concessions, etc etc.
I like to watch women's golf, but I'm going to watch the Memorial over watching the Womens' US Open. Possibly one reason the womens' tournament has low attendance is the heat. I went to one many years ago in Mississippi and the temp was over 100 ... not good for watching golf, even worse for playing.

Tiger has birdied 7 of the first 12 holes today. So it's good watching material.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:37 PM

12,990 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
And what happened to Paula Creamer?
Pretty sure I saw her yesterday. Seems like her game fell off after she got married, and then she got divorced.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Pretty sure I saw her yesterday. Seems like her game fell off after she got married, and then she got divorced.
Dang she got divorced?

Mr. Creamer must be a bit of an idiot.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:41 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Like many sports - women just do not draw the same attention as men. Hell, a bunch of us are considering getting tickets for the Augusta Women's Amateur because it'll be little trouble for that. Getting tickets for the actual Masters is super tough. But this way, we'll get to hang out at Augusta and likely have fewer crowds to deal with.

As for the LPGA - either there is just more parity in terms of players, or there is just not enough U.S. women that do well enough to get that interest going here in the states (similar to Men's tennis?). Julie Inkster is probably the most successful LPGA golfer from the U.S. in recent times. I do enjoy watching them as their game is more relatable. These days, there are a surge of more exciting players like the Korda sisters, Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson, and Anne Van Dam

Old 06-03-2019, 04:27 AM

Actually watched more LPGA golf the past four days than any time every before. That's saying a lot as I've been following the sport since the mid 80s. Found the women's mannerisms, swings, etc kind of interesting. Tournament was kind of anticlimatic as there wasn't much of a run at the leader Lee6 --

Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Like many sports - women just do not draw the same attention as men. Hell, a bunch of us are considering getting tickets for the Augusta Women's Amateur because it'll be little trouble for that. Getting tickets for the actual Masters is super tough. But this way, we'll get to hang out at Augusta and likely have fewer crowds to deal with.

As for the LPGA - either there is just more parity in terms of players, or there is just not enough U.S. women that do well enough to get that interest going here in the states (similar to Men's tennis?). Julie Inkster is probably the most successful LPGA golfer from the U.S. in recent times. I do enjoy watching them as their game is more relatable. These days, there are a surge of more exciting players like the Korda sisters, Brooke Henderson, Lexi Thompson, and Anne Van Dam
When I think of American women in recent memory (aside from Creamer) I think of Lewis, Kerr, Wie, Pressel (and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM

Whatever happened to Natalie Gulbis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports