Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
I would agree. However the Confederate battle flag has only been associated primarily with slavery for the last 20-30 years or so. And mostly by the younger generation and African-Americans. For others, it is more a symbol of the south and our southern heritage. IMHO this attitude is contrived. But just the same, I would never display it publicly or advocate it being flown because some people will just get angry since they choose not to understand or tolerate the deeper symbolism involved.
But think about this, 30 years ago, many things were just starting to come to the forefront. How do we know many African-Americans didn't feel as bad about it that long ago? A few scenarios could be taking places here. Either some people have felt this way and haven't said anything for a while. Or, it could be that one of the things to happen in the post-Civil Rights era is a shift in paradigm.

Myself, personally, I never really did get the symbolism. Part of it is because I think about the fact that I am descended from slaves. When I consider that, it cements alot of feelings I have.

My own experience regarding the Confederate flag goes as follows. I never knew much about the flag. Living in Georgia, I saw it on the state flag. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I learned about the Civil War in school. However, the connection between the flag and the Civil War was never made. All I know is that I was glad the South lost because slavery was ended as a result. It was then when I started to see the Confederate flag differently. I disregarded it because it meant nothing to me, but the more I started learning, the more it meant something bad to me. Also, this is what I've seen growing up. I went to high school in the exurbs of Atlanta. I only saw one Black kid where a Confederate flag t-shirt. Other than that, most Black kids I knew despised it, but would not say much about it. My high school also had racial tensions in it. I remember one year quite a few fights began after the Confederate flag t-shirts were banned from my high school. Suddenly, more kids came to school wearing them, and a few kids were getting in trouble for it. Fights were taking place as a result. After a while, the Principal gave up enforcing the rule. However, the racial tensions were somethings there. I remember some kids telling me "it's southern pride and heritage". When I asked my mother about it, a southern Black woman, she said "I'm southern, but it's not my heritage or pride". There are people who say that it is about southern heritage. I never hear Black southerners express this feeling at all. The thing is, most of the nation's Black population is from the South or has relatives in the South. It makes me wonder about many things.

Last edited by green_mariner; 09-16-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But think about this, 30 years ago, many things were just starting to come to the forefront. How do we know many African-Americans didn't feel as bad about it that long ago? A few scenarios could be taking places here. Either some people have felt this way and haven't said anything for a while. Or, it could be that one of the things to happen in the post-Civil Rights era is a shift in paradigm.

Myself, personally, I don't get the deeper symbolism because of what my ancestors went through.
Meaning you reject it.

And perhaps that clinging so tightly to the long-ago past (150 years ago) is what's holding people back.

A number of my forebearers perished during the holocaust (70 years ago). 'We' say "Never forget" and get and go along with our lives today because it's today that counts for those of us living it.

"Southern pride" i.e. "The South shall rise again!" does not have to equate to racism but for certain fringe elements. But for those elements I think that Stars and Bars are pretty harmless in this day-and-age.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Meaning you reject it.

And perhaps that clinging so tightly to the long-ago past (150 years ago) is what's holding people back.

Quote:
A number of my forebearers perished during the holocaust (70 years ago). 'We' say "Never forget" and get and go along with our lives today because it's today that counts for those of us living it.
"Southern pride" i.e. "The South shall rise again!" does not have to equate to racism but for certain fringe elements. But for those elements I think that Stars and Bars are pretty harmless in this day-and-age.
Today counts for those living today. Today counts for me. However, like you, I won't forget. I won't forget the reasons many of the Southern states seceded. It is the reason behind it.

How is not liking the Confederate flag holding me back?

Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
In society today, history is being rewritten for sometimes better and sometimes worse.

While not being an issue with a flag, the state of Rhode Island has had numerous attempts by various groups to change it's name. The true name of the state is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Now Roger Williams had put the Providence Plantation in. This predates any slavery in America, but the word plantation is offense to some groups so in past years a grassroots effort has been made to change the states name legally. Link below:

Changing the name of Rhode Island | The Living Consequences

Having been a New Englander who moved to the south I know there is equal passion on the meaning of the stars and bars. It will only be a matter of time though that it will fade away in my opinion and remain in the history books and not part of everyday attire. The removal of the flag from the South Carolina capital building shows that things do change.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
In society today, history is being rewritten for sometimes better and sometimes worse.

While not being an issue with a flag, the state of Rhode Island has had numerous attempts by various groups to change it's name. The true name of the state is Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Now Roger Williams had put the Providence Plantation in. This predates any slavery in America, but the word plantation is offense to some groups so in past years a grassroots effort has been made to change the states name legally. Link below:

Changing the name of Rhode Island | The Living Consequences

Having been a New Englander who moved to the south I know there is equal passion on the meaning of the stars and bars. It will only be a matter of time though that it will fade away in my opinion and remain in the history books and not part of everyday attire. The removal of the flag from the South Carolina capital building shows that things do change.
Things might fade away, and it might be a matter of time. However, the question is about how long it will take.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Things might fade away, and it might be a matter of time. However, the question is about how long it will take.
That depends entirely upon whether or not people want to remember and move on with their lives or forever look back and use the past as an excuse. It's a personal choice unless one is mired in group-think.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
That depends entirely upon whether or not people want to remember and move on with their lives or forever look back and use the past as an excuse. It's a personal choice unless one is mired in group-think.
It also depends on one's personal take. I have a different take on the flag than many people do.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
It also depends on one's personal take. I have a different take on the flag than many people do.
And you're more than welcome to it.

I have a visceral reaction to a yellow Star of David but I don't let it run/rule/ruin my life.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:

Having read through this entire thread, I see that reason just doesn't work for some people.

I do not care what black people think or feel. I feel the same way about men, women, and children. It doesn't matter to me what the white, Hispanic, or whatever color and culture anybody can think of thinks or feels about superficial topics. It's their problem. If a proprietor of a business decides to hang a sign outside that clearly states, "No black allowed," "No Whites," or "Hispanics Only," as well as any other form of discrimination based on age, religion, personal habits and the like, I say good for them. It's their business, so let them do it. It's a place I personally wouldn't care to go or support with my purchases, however, I feel it's their right regardless of who takes offense.

This country has turned into nothing but whiners. "Oh, that offends me..." Yea well, the politically correct crowd offends me to no end! It creates problems where none would normally exist. I swear to god that it seems like all of this politically correct mania is nothing more than a ploy by the powers that be to keep us all separated, segregated, and fighting among ourselves so that we do not unit together.

I personally have been tired of school districts making arbitrary rules with no clear definition. They're state funded, and all people's rights should be honored, so if somebody takes offense to what somebody else is wearing, that's their problem, and they should be told to harden up or that it's the other person's right to do that. Moreover, the powers that be keep rewriting history to suit whatever way the wind's blowing at the time. As a previous poster has pointed out, it's nothing more than totalitarianism dressed up in the less pejorative politically correct colors...

If we were discussing private schools that didn't accept funds from the government, it would be a different story all together, but since it's a public school, The Constitution should apply to all people equally.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
The Constitution does not say anything about allowing children to wear whatever they want, where ever they want. Parents should dictate that, and the parents of the local district should call the shots when it comes to dress code. Each district's dress code policy should be created based on input from the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area