Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 28,616 times

Advertisements

Hello again...

I have an earlier post regarding information about apartments in Nixa, Mo...again, if anybody has helpful information to share as my family and I are relocating to this area probably sooner than we expected, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I do have another question regarding Springfield schools, specifically the Kickapoo High School and its surrounding middle schools. Any information would be **greatly** appreciated.

We are relocating to the Nixa/Springfield area from Oklahoma. I prefer Nixa but to give us more apartment choices I have slightly widened our choices to include Springfield area/Kickapoo High School area. I just wanted to try to find more feedback from residents to make a good decision!!

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 61,642 times
Mom,

I'm a Springfield native and Kickapoo grad (1998). Kickapoo is a good school, as are the two primary middle schools that feed into it, Cherokee and Carver. This may not matter to you, but some of the best elementary schools in Springfield feed into Cherokee and Carver. Overall, pretty good from K-12.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:37 AM

6 posts, read 28,616 times
Default Kickapoo High

Pedro24,

Thank you very much for your post! I appreciate it! My child will be going to the middle school 1st, possibly, then on to high school.

Thank you again!

Old 11-23-2007, 01:56 AM

12 posts, read 54,086 times
Is he or she an athlete?

Old 11-23-2007, 12:24 PM

49 posts, read 261,695 times
I honestly have never liked Kickapoo but mostly because of their attitude. It may have changed in the last couple of years, but many people I know who have come from that school are rather stuck up and look down upon people of lower incomes.
Not all kids from there are like that, but since it's a school on the south end where many of the kids come from higher income families, many tend to think badly about those of us who don't make as much money.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,273 times
Honestly, the only thing I know about Kickapoo is that Brad Pitt went there! Probably not helpful, though

Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,841 times
We are moving to the Springfield area in a couple of months and have just gotten back from a house hunting trip. My question is regarding schools in the Springfield, Ozark & Nixa area. Everyone that we speak with tells us that the schools are all great. We are considering a home where our children would eventually go to the Glendale high school. I know this is an older school and not as nice as Kickapoo, but can anyone tell me if it's just as good academically, with a variety of programs for the children. Our boys are only in 1st and 2nd grade at this time, but we are trying to look forward and choose the best school relatively close to my husbands job in Springfield. Any input anyone can give us regarding schools in Springfield and Ozark would be greatly appreciated. We love the country of Ozark, but aren't sure if we want to be that far away.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM

6 posts, read 20,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casanna View Post
We are moving to the Springfield area in a couple of months and have just gotten back from a house hunting trip. My question is regarding schools in the Springfield, Ozark & Nixa area. Everyone that we speak with tells us that the schools are all great. We are considering a home where our children would eventually go to the Glendale high school. I know this is an older school and not as nice as Kickapoo, but can anyone tell me if it's just as good academically, with a variety of programs for the children. Our boys are only in 1st and 2nd grade at this time, but we are trying to look forward and choose the best school relatively close to my husbands job in Springfield. Any input anyone can give us regarding schools in Springfield and Ozark would be greatly appreciated. We love the country of Ozark, but aren't sure if we want to be that far away.
I would choose Nixa over Ozark and Springfield. The only thing I have every heard about Glendale is that they have a lot of drugs in the HS. This is only hear say and I could be completely wrong, but I have heard it from too many different sources that I would probably stear clear of sending my kids there.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 6,396 times
Default Springfield Schools

I know that some will argue with me in a serious way here, but I really think that any of the Springfield high schools are fine. I didn't attend a south-side school (Glendale or Kickapoo). I went to Parkview. When I tell some people who are newer to the community about that, they ask about drugs, gang violence, and homosexual students. Ummmm....what? It's been a few years, but my high school experience was such that these things had little to no influence on my life. Honestly, I would choose Glendale over Kickapoo based on the attitude issues discussed earlier in this thread, but when it comes down to it there is not a huge difference.

In my current job, I get to see where the crime is happening and how the trends play out. I can tell you from firsthand knowledge that there are drugs in the schools here to the same extent that there are drugs elsewhere. But we don't see more criminal behavior from Glendale than from Kickapoo, and I don't think there is a significant difference in the rates of drug use.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM

12 posts, read 54,086 times
Oh, boy!!!!!!!!!!!

There aren't "A LOT" of drugs at Glendale. There are drugs AT ALL of the Springfield
schools and, dare I say, the Christian county schools too! That argument doesn't
have any weight to it at all. Drugs are everywhere and always have been!!!!!!!!!

Next, Glendale and Kickapoo are very good high schools. I'd rank them equal to
Ozark and Nixa, if not above them.

Glendale and Kickapoo are getting muilt-million dollar upgrades in the next year. I can
post photos of the upgrades if you want me to.

Once again, is your child into sports? If yes, which sports? If it's basketball, golf,
swimming, baseball or soccer...I'd go with Glendale or Kickapoo. Though I'd perfer you
choose Glendale. If it's football or wrestling, then I'd take Nixa or Ozark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area