Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 12:04 PM

7 posts, read 7,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my wife and I are looking for 2-10 acres to retire and stretch our wings a bit. A thirty minute drive to shop wouldn't bother us. I currently live in Southern Ca where I retired, but as everyone knows it's way to crowded, very high taxes, and too many restrictions etc for our lifestyle. Our daughter has no plans to leave CA and UT wouldn't be too far of a drive to visit.

The only experience I've had in UT was traveling down the 15 fwy from ID and enjoyed the beauty, but never actually visited the area. I realize that the further you live in the country the harder it is to find utilities such as internet and cable lines which could be a problem. Also, I would prefer a well or water rights but that's not a game changer. I have heard rumors that areas of UT don't have the best areas for drilling wells but can't confirm that. If I was on culinary water, how is the water (minerals etc.) and the cost of using city/county water. Can wind be a problem in certain areas? I have lived in high wind areas and would prefer not to. We enjoy most outdoor activities, hiking, biking, target shooting, boating and fishing etc.

If there's any other areas that you can think of that we should look at, please let us know.

Thank you all in advance for you input and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:26 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,880 times
Check out New Harmony Utah

Old 04-05-2019, 09:42 AM

I'm on it, thank's chahunt

Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,575 times
I would also visit the area, spend some time there, and see what you think. Cedar City is a small college town that caters to the university. At the south end of town they have much of the modern shopping people would expect complete with fast food joints. Downtown is cute but spotty in terms of businesses being filled up. Cedar City is a nice small town.

If you get much further south into places like Hurricane, I would be a bit wary. They aren't as quaint as Cedar City, but I have a feeling they will be developed someday into far-away extensions of people from St. George area. There is already subdivisions being made in the valley there.

That said, St. George is a nice town to live too, but much more populated than Cedar City.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanks NWbyNW, we'll be traveling up in a couple weeks to check that area out. I'm really hoping we can find something in that area that would fit our needs and budget.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:41 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
Thanks NWbyNW, we'll be traveling up in a couple weeks to check that area out. I'm really hoping we can find something in that area that would fit our needs and budget.
Best of luck to you and happy exploring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George