Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM

8 posts, read 38,044 times

Advertisements

Hello: My husband and I are considering retiring in the St. George area. Due to the desert climate, is it common to see spiders, other bugs and/or scorpions in residential areas (inside and outside of homes) in the area? If so, is it common for people to hire exterminators to keep the little critters out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:02 PM

13 posts, read 51,717 times
I am in from Texas & have been here 2 weeks. There are very few bugs compared to Texas. The dogs met a few Harvester ants, ouch!!!!, but that is about it so far.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Some of the homes we looked at to buy, that were empty, had a lot of dead roaches in them, but that could be due to the fact that they had set empty for a while. I think periodic spraying around the house for the roaches, bugs spiders etc would solve this. I did see some huge ants when we were there walking on trails...but that's about it.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:00 PM

39 posts, read 176,217 times
Hi there,
My husband and I are new to Washington utah, just a few miles from Saint George. We really love it here but there are cockroaches, and spiders. We found a small tracila on our block wall and our pest control person said they eat roaches. When we first moved in our house which had been empty for three months. We found only 4 or five roaches in the house since but we know our cats find them and eat them (they won't harm the cats) our male cat Oreo is a good hunter and is always looking around for them. We keep our house clean, keeping things off the floors as much as possible. We put the cats water and food in a zip lock bag (they can go 7 or eight hours without food and water)

I did a search online about roaches and they are interesting creatures. We are searhing for bulk boric acid powder ourselves to fight them.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,453 times
My husband and I just moved to Washington, Utah recently from another state, and we notice a little black bug that we don't know what it is. They are everywhere. We are keeping them under control, by spraying, but what the heck are they?...Can someone tell me without me going to a pest control company? We have never seen them an where we have ever lived. The other bugs we have, but we are keeping all of them under control.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I am not sure whether I heard this about St. George or Henderson, Nevada, but the people there sprayed the base of their home each morning to prevent the dry heat from pulverizing the cinder blocks that held the house up. Some real estate agent also said people got exterminators about 4 times a year to prevent scorpions and snakes from hanging about the house.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times
I've had a lot of pesky critters hang around my house.....they are called Mormons

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I've had a lot of pesky critters hang around my house.....they are called Mormons
Who settled the area and who moved in later on? You don't like Mormons? Leave Utah.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM

148 posts, read 459,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy Krigbaum View Post
My husband and I just moved to Washington, Utah recently from another state, and we notice a little black bug that we don't know what it is. They are everywhere. We are keeping them under control, by spraying, but what the heck are they?...Can someone tell me without me going to a pest control company? We have never seen them an where we have ever lived. The other bugs we have, but we are keeping all of them under control.
I have them too, or something similar. One pest control person said "false cinch bugs" and the others said "I don't know". I see no wings, and they hop when alarmed, and are usually black, but sometimes grayish, of varying very tiny sizes. Whatever it is here, it's seasonal and attracted by water in the house--even a damp towel at the sink--so I can't leave fabric or wet paper towels there in the warm seasons. Can't have small rugs to stand on in the bathroom or at the kitchen sink either. They will breed there! Outside, they are in concrete patio grooves and around any yard debris that gathers in rock corners (I have very little, fortunately!). Pest control comes regularly (9 times a year). These are the least affected of all the bugs by that! Literally, 2 1/2 days is exactly the relief I get after each spraying! Also, they ride in on my clothing, arms, shoes, UPS boxes, newspapeer---you get the idea!

If you find out what they are, please post it here. They cause no damage, but I hate to wash them down the sink. I do my own spraying twice between professional monthly visits, around threshholds, sinks, etc. Love the cold weather without them!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenSG View Post
Love the cold weather without them!
I've really got to laugh when I hear someone from St. Geroge refer to "cold weather."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George